Is anyone using Brother a P-Touch Label Printer for QSO labels?

Howard Waxman, WZ4K

I have mastered using Avery labels on my laser printer for QSL Labels and wonder if anyone has succeeded using a Brother P-Touch for printing QSL Labels. My only 'frustration' with using label sheets is accounting for already used labels on the sheet - not a big deal but it would be nice to just not have to think about how many labels have been used. The P-touch would just print the number of desired labels in succession, one at-a-time and be ready for the next print job without worry. 73, Howard

Phil Cooper

Howard and the group,

I have a Brother P-Touch here, and use it for address labels in a personal capacity, rather than for any QSL operations.

But, I have noticed that when used to make a label for a folder, or something to be kept here, the labels do fade after a while. I suspect this is down to the fact that they use some form of thermographic print, rather than a true ink.

This fact has stopped me from using these labels to stick on QSL cards, as I would hate for them to fade before they could be submitted for a DXCC claim.

And is someone wanted to keep the card for posterity, again, it would be a shame if it faded within a year or so.

I would be very interested to know if anyone has used these labels extensively, and whether you have had any feedback on their durability.

Best 73

Phil GU0SUP

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Howard Waxman, WZ4K
Sent: 02 May 2021 15:24
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: [DXLab] Is anyone using Brother a P-Touch Label Printer for QSO labels?

I have mastered using Avery labels on my laser printer for QSL Labels and wonder if anyone has succeeded using a Brother P-Touch for printing QSL Labels. My only 'frustration' with using label sheets is accounting for already used labels on the sheet - not a big deal but it would be nice to just not have to think about how many labels have been used. The P-touch would just print the number of desired labels in succession, one at-a-time and be ready for the next print job without worry. 73, Howard

Rick Arzadon - N8XI

I have hundreds of QSL Cards and have noticed that over time labels tend to age and fall off the cards.

GL es 73 

Rick - N8XI

Bret Mills

Phil, I am pretty sure Brother sells different types of ribbon for their P-Touch labelers and make a ribbon that should hold up over time, do a search for "P-touch labels" and you should see they do make all kinds of different types and have what you need I am sure.

That actually is a very good Idea for QSL cards by the way

Bret
WX7Y

Howard Waxman, WZ4K

Thanks for your thoughts. I print my labels using Avery Labels on an HP Phaser 6360 Laser Printer. I can direct my label print jobs to drawer 4 where I have label stock loaded. It works well and the quality is excellent....but there are challenges such as not using a full sheet of labels - then I'm left with an 'orphan' sheet and usually reload it for the next batch....but, I have to track how many labels have been used. I never have jams or issues. I think the laser printed labels should hold up well over time.

Regarding longevity for P-Touch labels - the ones I've printed have held up well over time with no discernable fading. They do make an extra-strength adhesive version for some of their color combos.

So, I don't really see a way to make this work with the current label set-up in DXKeeper as is seems to be predicated upon the pre-defined branded label stock and associated page sizes. I think the P-Touch would be a brilliant label solution.

I could do ADIF exports to a worksheet and import the data into the Brother P-Touch Editor SW which prints directly to the P-Touch printer. In the P-Touch Editor you can define very discrete label templates and so this could work - but that's a lot of work compared to Keeper queuing jobs and sending them directly to the printer on demand...P-touch will even automagically cut your labels in a pre-defined length...I could even imagine using clear labels with black print that would overlay pre-printed fields on a QSL card. I can imagine a lot! The P-Touch printers are relatively cheap...the labels are not inexpensive but the convenience would, for me, make it worth the cost.

Thanks again for your thoughts on the subject. OK, back to reality...and my Avery label sheets :\

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Thanks for your thoughts. I print my labels using Avery Labels on an HP Phaser 6360 Laser Printer. I can direct my label print jobs to drawer 4 where I have label stock loaded. It works well and the quality is excellent....but there are challenges such as not using a full sheet of labels - then I'm left with an 'orphan' sheet and usually reload it for the next batch....but, I have to track how many labels have been used. I never have jams or issues. I think the laser printed labels should hold up well over time.

Regarding longevity for P-Touch labels - the ones I've printed have held up well over time with no discernable fading. They do make an extra-strength adhesive version for some of their color combos.

So, I don't really see a way to make this work with the current label set-up in DXKeeper as is seems to be predicated upon the pre-defined branded label stock and associated page sizes. I think the P-Touch would be a brilliant label solution.

I could do ADIF exports to a worksheet and import the data into the Brother P-Touch Editor SW which prints directly to the P-Touch printer. In the P-Touch Editor you can define very discrete label templates and so this could work - but that's a lot of work compared to Keeper queuing jobs and sending them directly to the printer on demand...P-touch will even automagically cut your labels in a pre-defined length...I could even imagine using clear labels with black print that would overlay pre-printed fields on a QSL card. I can imagine a lot! The P-Touch printers are relatively cheap...the labels are not inexpensive but the convenience would, for me, make it worth the cost.

+ DXKeeper has long supported single-label printers. I use a Dymo Labelwriter 450 Turbo, which eliminates the horrific task of having to count the number of labels missing from a label sheet and enter it into DXKeeper before printing the next batch of labels.

+ You can configure DXKeeper to generate a tab-delimited file from the QSL Queue, and use this to drive a label-printing application for a specific printer. Given this capability, extending DXKeeper to support specific label printers beyond what's already supported by its single-label capability would have a very low benefit-to-cost ratio.

Dave, AA6YQ

Phil Cooper

Hi Bret,  Howard, and the group,

Bret, yes, there are different types of label, but they all use a thermal process.

Howard, Thanks for that info… That is quite interesting, and I think I may have to give it a try. I do have some labels (return address labels) that I have printed on the Brother, and those on the top of the pile do appear to have faded in the light over a period of about a year.

That was why I was not so keen on using them for QSL cards.

I think it is time to experiment, and keep some in the dark, as most cards will be kept out of direct light, and stacked together, so maybe it won’t be too much of an issue.

I’ve always said I prefer to hand-write my cards, as I feel it is a more personal touch, but age is creeping up on me, and my handwriting is not what it used to be. It can also start to become a chore when you receive over 100 cards from the bureau at a time….

73 de Philo GU0SUP

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Bret Mills
Sent: 03 May 2021 16:38
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Is anyone using Brother a P-Touch Label Printer for QSO labels?

Phil, I am pretty sure Brother sells different types of ribbon for their P-Touch labelers and make a ribbon that should hold up over time, do a search for "P-touch labels" and you should see they do make all kinds of different types and have what you need I am sure.

That actually is a very good Idea for QSL cards by the way

Bret

WX7Y

Howard Waxman, WZ4K

"...the horrific task..." LOL...I hope I didn't sound quite that dramatic! No, counting the labels is no biggie and I love the capability of printing efficient label sheets...just trying to imagine more use for my label printer.

Thanks Dave for your unrivaled support and a great suite of tools, Howard

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

"...the horrific task..." LOL...I hope I didn't sound quite that dramatic! No, counting the labels is no biggie and I love the capability of printing efficient label sheets...just trying to imagine more use for my label printer.

+ In my experience, the primary advantage of having a label printer is avoiding the task of replacing the plain paper in my printer with label sheets when I have only a few labels to print, and then later discovering after I've printed a 30-page document that I forgot to replace the label sheets with plain paper; that truly is horrific!

Dave, AA6YQ