Topics

Intel's Lakefield processor

Dave AA6YQ

Until now, Intel’s x86 processors have come in two flavors:

1. Using multiple large cores

-          optimized for servers and desktops; fast, but power-hungry

-          referred to as Core

2. Using multiple small cores

- optimized for laptops and tablets; thrifty with power, but lower performance

- referred to as Atom

Intel’s Lakefield processor is a hybrid, with one large core, and 4 small cores.

If you’ll be in the market for a new PC, it’s worth understanding the Lakefield architecture before deciding what to purchase:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15877/intel-hybrid-cpu-lakefield-all-you-need-to-know

Kent N6WT

Dave

It sounds like this processor is aimed at the laptop/tablet market. From the comments at the end, I don't think this is Intels best work. I won't be going with a "hybrid" proc in my new desktop!

Thanks
73
Kent
N6WT

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 06:20 PM, Kent N6WT wrote:
It sounds like this processor is aimed at the laptop/tablet market. From the comments at the end, I don't think this is Intels best work. I won't be going with a "hybrid" proc in my new desktop!

+ Me neither, but since users occasionally ask about choices for new PCs to host DXLab, I thought it was relevant.

D. Scott MacKenzie

Dave:

I do some pretty hardcore computing doing finite element analysis and computational fluid dynamics – looking at the AMD 3950X with 16 cores (32 threads).. still the analysis could take a couple of days.  Any issues with DXLabs with high core/thread count (other than using Win10)?

Right now am using an Intel I7-4770K overclocked a little bit to 4.2 with 16Mb ram and 2Tb SSD and 2 Tb HD.  I have never had any issues with DXLabs and WSJT-X (and JTAlert)

Thanks

Scott aka KB0FHP

On Mon, Jul 6, 2020 at 06:20 PM, Kent N6WT wrote:

It sounds like this processor is aimed at the laptop/tablet market. From the comments at the end, I don't think this is Intels best work. I won't be going with a "hybrid" proc in my new desktop!

+ Me neither, but since users occasionally ask about choices for new PCs to host DXLab, I thought it was relevant.

I do some pretty hardcore computing doing finite element analysis and computational fluid dynamics – looking at the AMD 3950X with 16 cores (32 threads).. still the analysis could take a couple of days. Any issues with DXLabs with high core/thread count (other than using Win10)?

+ I'm not aware of any issues, and none have been reported.