Importing log data from another application/database into DXKeeper

Norm - KC1BMD

Edited

I operated from QTH "A" from about 2015 to near the end of 2019. I then moved to QTH "B" across state lines and have been operating from there with the same call sign since then. Can I export all my log data to ADIF and import it into DXKeeper? If I do that, is it best to create the ADIF from LoTW, QRZ, eQSL, or HRD Logbook or does it not matter (since they all have the same QSO data? I'd like to know before I do any import, whether having operated from two QTH's (but not during the same time period) will cause any problems. State, County, Grid Square and other related data is different, depending on whether the QSO was logged from QTH "A" or "B". TQSL and eQSL have two separate station locations (one for old QTH "A" and one for current QTH "B") if that matters. LoTW and QRZ just have all data consolidated. If something goes wrong with the import, is it possible to undo it and try again (e.g. delete DXKeeper db file and import again)? Any recommendations are appreciated.

--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

iain macdonnell - N6ML

Hi Norm,

Suggest you review:

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SwitchingToDXKeeper

which links to:

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSOImport

which has a section entitled "Importing QSOs made from Multiple Locations".

Note that QSO data downloaded from LoTW will be very limited in its
content (LoTW stores only the QSO attributes required to confirm QSOs
for award purposes). It should be used only as a last resort.

You can, of course, start over with a new DXKeeper database at any time.

~iain / N6ML

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 12:17 PM Norm - KC1BMD <noka@comcast.net> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I operated from QTH "A" from about 2015 to near the end of 2019. I then moved to QTH "B" across state lines and have been operating from there with the same call sign since then. Can I export all my log data to ADIF and import it into DXKeeper? If I do that, is it best to create the ADIF from LoTW, QRZ, eQSL, or HRD Logbook or does it not matter (since they all have the same QSO data? I'd like to know before I do any import, whether having operated from two QTH's (but not during the same time period) will cause any problems. State, County, Grid Square and other related data is different, depending on whether the QSO was logged from QTH "A" or "B". TQSL and eQSL have two separate station locations (one for old QTH "A" and one for current QTH "B") if that matters. LoTW and QRZ just have all data consolidated. If something goes wrong with the import, is it possible to undo it and try again (e.g. delete DXKeeper db file and import again)? Any recommendations are appreciated.

--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

Norm - KC1BMD

The DXKeeper db is empty (I only installed the app recently). I wanted to know the best way to proceed. My situation is not using two QTH's with overlapping time periods. I used one QTH and then switched cleanly to the other (sequential, not overlapping) and I wasn't sure if that matters. How would I start with a new DXKepper db if things don't go as I had hoped?
--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 12:31 PM Norm - KC1BMD <noka@comcast.net> wrote:

The DXKeeper db is empty (I only installed the app recently). I wanted to know the best way to proceed. My situation is not using two QTH's with overlapping time periods. I used one QTH and then switched cleanly to the other (sequential, not overlapping) and I wasn't sure if that matters. How would I start with a new DXKepper db if things don't go as I had hoped?
It doesn't really matter if the QTHs overlap time-wise; the basic
approach is the same.

To create a new database, on the "Log" tab of DXKeeper's Configuration
window, click "New" in the "Log file" panel.

You can also make backup copies of the log database as you go along,
so you can revert changes if necessary.

~iain / N6ML

Norm - KC1BMD

OK, I'm going through the documentation but how to proceed is not clear to me. I will try to just import all the data from one source, regardless of the two locations in eQSL and TQSL. You mentioned LoTW is not the best source of data for import to DXKeeper, so maybe I'll go with either HRD Logbook or QRZ as my data import source,
--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Sat, Feb 13, 2021 at 12:54 PM Norm - KC1BMD <noka@comcast.net> wrote:

OK, I'm going through the documentation but how to proceed is not clear to me. I will try to just import all the data from one source, regardless of the two locations in eQSL and TQSL. You mentioned LoTW is not the best source of data for import to DXKeeper, so maybe I'll go with either HRD Logbook or QRZ as my data import source,
"Importing QSOs made from Multiple Locations" on
http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSOImport explains that you should
define a "my QTH" for each location, then use the appropriate one when
importing QSOs for each location.

If all you have is one big log that includes all QTHs, you could
import the whole thing and then sort out the QTHs post-import, by
filtering the log based on QSO date ranges and modifying the matching
QSOs. Let us know if you need help with that.

~iain / N6ML

Jacob Derenne

I have operated from 3 different QTH since 2015 and also 3 different grids, but I have always used DXKeeper as my

Main logging program, even imported mobile logs, but always made sure qso in log were tied to a specific qth using TQSL

To upload logs to

, never a issue

Jake – W9BLI

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Saturday, February 13, 2021 2:12 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: [DXLab] Importing log data from another application/database into DXKeeper

I operated from QTH "A" from about 2015 to near the end of 2019. I then moved to QTH "B" across state lines and have been operating from there with the same call sign since then. Can I export all my log data to ADIF and import it into DXKeeper? If I do that, is it best to create the ADIF from LoTW, QRZ, eQSL, or HRD Logbook or does it not matter (since they all have the same QSO data? I'd like to know before I do any import, whether having operated from two QTH's (but not during the same time period) will cause any problems. State, County, Grid Square and other related data is different, depending on whether the QSO was logged from QTH "A" or "B". If something goes wrong with the import, is it possible to undo it and try again (e.g. delete DXKeeper db file and import again)? Any recommendations are appreciated.

--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

Norm - KC1BMD

Thanks all for the help. I am delaying importing my log (probably will do that from HRD Logbook export to ADIF). For now, I am satisfied that I can log a QSO in DXKeeper, export to ADIF and import to HRD Logbook. From there it's a few clicks to upload to eQSL, LoTW and QRZ. While I would really have liked to have a link to HRD (which apparently could be done with DXLab Suite and old HRD v5, and which can be done with N4PY software even with HRD v6) at least I can auto-start and auto-close the HRD Logbook from DXLab Launcher as a 3rd party app. Thanks again for the support.
--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Thanks all for the help. I am delaying importing my log (probably will do that from HRD Logbook export to ADIF). For now, I am satisfied that I can log a QSO in DXKeeper, export to ADIF and import to HRD Logbook. From there it's a few clicks to upload to eQSL, LoTW and QRZ. While I would really have liked to have a link to HRD (which apparently could be done with DXLab Suite and old HRD v5, and which can be done with N4PY software even with HRD v6) at least I can auto-start and auto-close the HRD Logbook from DXLab Launcher as a 3rd party app. Thanks again for the support.

+ Simon HB9DRV and I built a bridge between DXLab and HRD that enabled DXLab applications to employ HRD for transceiver control; this was primarily of interest to DXLab ops running remote transceivers. When Simon sold HRD to a commercial group, one of that group's first actions was to burn down their side of that bridge; relations have gone downhill from there.

+ Much of DXLab's added value comes from DXKeeper's realtime maintenance of award tracking databases for DXCC, IOTA, Marathon, VUCC, WAS, WAZ, and WPX award families; these databases enable immediate determination of whether a confirmed QSO with a callsign on a particular band and mode would advance your award progress towards your specified objectives. Thus DXLab's interoperation with other logging applications is limited to importing and exporting ADIF files to and from DXKeeper. Given N1MM's popularity and excellent support for interoperation, there's an N1MM-DXKeeper bridge that immediately sends QSOs logged in N1MM to DXKeeper; this keeps SpotCollector's "need coloring" up-to-date during contests.

Dave, AA6YQ

Norm - KC1BMD

Good info Dave. I'm not familiar with N1MM but will have a look at it sometime.
--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below
Good info Dave. I'm not familiar with N1MM but will have a look at it sometime.

+ N1MM is a free logging and transceiver control application optimized for serious contesting.

https://n1mmwp.hamdocs.com/

Dave, AA6YQ