Importing a Large DX4Win Log

Rick Heinrich

I remain a new user! I've been using DXKeeper for about three years and have been working my way through a bunch of different learning curve issues.

But now it is time to bite the bullet and import my large DX4Win log.  It is about 120k QSOs.

The log is made up of combined logs from all my calls.  Primary use is award tracking - so for DXCC US locations were OK and I could pick dates for 5BWAS.

So the initial question is what is the best way to import the log?  I realize there is a special DX4Win import which (I assume) recognizes some of the field structures of DX4Win into DXKeeper.  But here are some specific issues/questions:

1)  myQTH ID does not have a date field.  Is that important?  My award selections for Callsign/QTH are date specific so it may not be.  But if it is pertinent then I have the complexity of having a call, changing the call, and then reapplying for the original call several years later so I have two date ranges for a single call sign with another call sign in between.  Should I break the imports in call/date specific segments.  QTH lat/long will vary for the same callsign.

2)  When it is imported and I want to update the LoTW status of the ENTIRE log, what is the best way?  I have LoTW and paper QSL cards for my Honor Roll and 8BDXCC.  I've read many posts about size of files that seem to choke LoTW and hit a policy brick wall.  I am not trying to fool the system, but want to get all the records straight.

I have been dragging my feet on this for over a year because I am intimidated by the impact of missing a critical setting in the transfer or misinterpretation of a setting or field.  I don't want to screw up my existing 3k QSO log that was started in DXKeeper in 2019.

Is there a "step-by-step" guide for "dummies"? ;)  There is a lot of info in 55 years of DXing and contesting.  Some may not be recoverable if I screw up because some of the original logs no longer exist or were done in software that I may not have a loadable copy.

I graciously ask for the guidance from this key resource.

Rick N0YY

Earl Needham

The first step would be to backup your DXKeeper log.  Just in case.

Vy 7 3
Earl
KD5XB

On Mon, Jul 4, 2022, 7:00 AM Rick Heinrich <n0yy.rick@...> wrote:
I remain a new user! I've been using DXKeeper for about three years and have been working my way through a bunch of different learning curve issues.

But now it is time to bite the bullet and import my large DX4Win log.  It is about 120k QSOs.

The log is made up of combined logs from all my calls.  Primary use is award tracking - so for DXCC US locations were OK and I could pick dates for 5BWAS.

So the initial question is what is the best way to import the log?  I realize there is a special DX4Win import which (I assume) recognizes some of the field structures of DX4Win into DXKeeper.  But here are some specific issues/questions:

1)  myQTH ID does not have a date field.  Is that important?  My award selections for Callsign/QTH are date specific so it may not be.  But if it is pertinent then I have the complexity of having a call, changing the call, and then reapplying for the original call several years later so I have two date ranges for a single call sign with another call sign in between.  Should I break the imports in call/date specific segments.  QTH lat/long will vary for the same callsign.

2)  When it is imported and I want to update the LoTW status of the ENTIRE log, what is the best way?  I have LoTW and paper QSL cards for my Honor Roll and 8BDXCC.  I've read many posts about size of files that seem to choke LoTW and hit a policy brick wall.  I am not trying to fool the system, but want to get all the records straight.

I have been dragging my feet on this for over a year because I am intimidated by the impact of missing a critical setting in the transfer or misinterpretation of a setting or field.  I don't want to screw up my existing 3k QSO log that was started in DXKeeper in 2019.

Is there a "step-by-step" guide for "dummies"? ;)  There is a lot of info in 55 years of DXing and contesting.  Some may not be recoverable if I screw up because some of the original logs no longer exist or were done in software that I may not have a loadable copy.

Rick N0YY

Joe Subich, W4TV

Rick,

The log is made up of combined logs from all my calls. Primary use
is award tracking - so for DXCC US locations were OK and I could pick
dates for 5BWAS.
Are all your calls from within the "lower 48" or do they include QSOs
made from multiple DXCC countries?

Does DX4Win include your callsign ("Station_Callsign") in its ADIF
export or is it a simple list of all QSOs?

If not, can you do multiple exports from DX4Win separating the data
by callsign?

1) myQTH ID does not have a date field. Is that important?
No. WAS and VUCC are based on distance among locations not by date.

2) When it is imported and I want to update the LoTW status of the
ENTIRE log, what is the best way? I have LoTW and paper QSL cards
for my Honor Roll and 8BDXCC.
There are two issues at play ... LotW (upload/confirmed/awarded) status
and DXCC credit status. There is documentation in "Getting Started with
DXLab Suite":
<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStarted>
that will walk you through those issues.

The first step is to get your import done and properly categorized by
callsign and QTH:
<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SwitchingToDXKeeper>

After that you will want to look at:
<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/AwardTracking>
particularly the section on "Managing DXCC Credits" for sorting through
the HR/8BDXCC credits.

The number one piece of advice (and I've intentionally "buried the
lead") is *BACK UP YOUR LOG AT EACH STEP ALONG THE WAY*. That way
if some import/update/modification goes wrong you can take a step back
and go a different direction (or ask for help).

... Joe, W4TV

On 2022-07-04 9:00 AM, Rick Heinrich wrote:
I remain a new user! I've been using DXKeeper for about three years and
have been working my way through a bunch of different learning curve issues.
But now it is time to bite the bullet and import my large DX4Win log. It
is about 120k QSOs.
The log is made up of combined logs from all my calls. Primary use is
award tracking - so for DXCC US locations were OK and I could pick dates
for 5BWAS.
So the initial question is what is the best way to import the log? I
realize there is a special DX4Win import which (I assume) recognizes some
of the field structures of DX4Win into DXKeeper. But here are some
specific issues/questions:
1) myQTH ID does not have a date field. Is that important? My award
selections for Callsign/QTH are date specific so it may not be. But if it
is pertinent then I have the complexity of having a call, changing the
call, and then reapplying for the original call several years later so I
have two date ranges for a single call sign with another call sign in
between. Should I break the imports in call/date specific segments. QTH
lat/long will vary for the same callsign.
2) When it is imported and I want to update the LoTW status of the ENTIRE
log, what is the best way? I have LoTW and paper QSL cards for my Honor
Roll and 8BDXCC. I've read many posts about size of files that seem to
choke LoTW and hit a policy brick wall. I am not trying to fool the
system, but want to get all the records straight.
I have been dragging my feet on this for over a year because I am
intimidated by the impact of missing a critical setting in the transfer or
misinterpretation of a setting or field. I don't want to screw up my
existing 3k QSO log that was started in DXKeeper in 2019.
Is there a "step-by-step" guide for "dummies"? ;) There is a lot of info
in 55 years of DXing and contesting. Some may not be recoverable if I
screw up because some of the original logs no longer exist or were done in
software that I may not have a loadable copy.
Rick N0YY

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

So the initial question is what is the best way to import the log?  I realize there is a special DX4Win import which (I assume) recognizes some of the field structures of DX4Win into DXKeeper. 

+ DX4WIN takes liberties with the ADIF specification; see

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/Import.htm#ADIF%20Style

But here are some specific issues/questions:

+ Break the ADIF file you export from DX4WIN into segments whose QSOs were made from the same QTH using the same Station Callsign.

+ Before importing a segment, backup your log so you can easily recover if something goes awry.

+ When you import each segment into DXKeeper, use 

- the "Substitution Options" panel's  "Substitute for missing myQTH IDs" option on the Main window's "Import QSOs" tab to specify the appropriate myQTH ID

- the the "Replacement Options" panel's "Station Callsign" to specify the appropriate Station Callsign

+ Depressing the CTRL key while clicking the "Sync LoTW QSOs" button, and then depressing the CTRL key while clicking the "Sync LoTW QSLs" button is the way to update your log with LoTW status. However, the first operation may trigger LoTW's undocumented "download abuse detector", which to my knowledge remains in force. I can't predict what will happen, nor can I recommend updating your log in smaller chunks, as the chunk size required to fly below the download abuse detector's radar is not documented.

Is there a "step-by-step" guide for "dummies"? ;) 

+ Step-by-step instructions are here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SwitchingToDXKeeper

There is a lot of info in 55 years of DXing and contesting.  Some may not be recoverable if I screw up because some of the original logs no longer exist or were done in software that I may not have a loadable copy.

+ If you make a new backup copy of your log prior to each step (and save these copies until the transition has been completed), you will be protected, and you will not have to start over from scratch if you make a mistake.

Dave, AA6YQ

w6de

Lots of advice to back-up your log.  Just so you know each back-up is separately dated and time stamped when it is saved. 

Keep a pen and paper log of what you changed in your log for each save.  The saves are cumulative so if you use a backup all the previous saves are included. 

But, if for instance you find a call sign error after subsequent updates and saves; and you then need restore a backup from before that error, you will have to repeat the later changes you made—and your notes will tell you what you steps you performed after your restored backup you and need to repeat.  Keep notes on all those steps too!

Dave, w6de

From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave AA6YQ via groups.io
Sent: Monday, July 04, 2022 16:44
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] Importing a Large DX4Win Log

+ AA6YQ comments below

So the initial question is what is the best way to import the log?  I realize there is a special DX4Win import which (I assume) recognizes some of the field structures of DX4Win into DXKeeper. 

+ DX4WIN takes liberties with the ADIF specification; see

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/Import.htm#ADIF%20Style

But here are some specific issues/questions:

+ Break the ADIF file you export from DX4WIN into segments whose QSOs were made from the same QTH using the same Station Callsign.

+ Before importing a segment, backup your log so you can easily recover if something goes awry.

+ When you import each segment into DXKeeper, use 

- the "Substitution Options" panel's  "Substitute for missing myQTH IDs" option on the Main window's "Import QSOs" tab to specify the appropriate myQTH ID

- the the "Replacement Options" panel's "Station Callsign" to specify the appropriate Station Callsign

+ Depressing the CTRL key while clicking the "Sync LoTW QSOs" button, and then depressing the CTRL key while clicking the "Sync LoTW QSLs" button is the way to update your log with LoTW status. However, the first operation may trigger LoTW's undocumented "download abuse detector", which to my knowledge remains in force. I can't predict what will happen, nor can I recommend updating your log in smaller chunks, as the chunk size required to fly below the download abuse detector's radar is not documented.

Is there a "step-by-step" guide for "dummies"? ;) 

+ Step-by-step instructions are here:

There is a lot of info in 55 years of DXing and contesting.  Some may not be recoverable if I screw up because some of the original logs no longer exist or were done in software that I may not have a loadable copy.

+ If you make a new backup copy of your log prior to each step (and save these copies until the transition has been completed), you will be protected, and you will not have to start over from scratch if you make a mistake.

Dave, AA6YQ

Rick Heinrich

Thanks to everyone for their sage advice.  Clearly the "backing up of my existing DXKeeper log was a critical suggestion.  It was necessary to use this a couple of times to do a couple of do-overs.

Now I am struggling trying to get LoTW updates in place.  I get many different versions of "No upload of ADIF - cancelled by user".  I have been unsuccessful with any approach so far.  

All of the callsigns are US domestic callsigns (lower 48) so no other entity is involved.  I will create a large file for TQSL signing and it gets rejected.  All of the historic callsigns are subordinate to N0YY so I assume (that may be a bad assumption) that all shold resolve with a single signed TQSL ADIF file.

I probably have a setting set incorrectly somewhere but I have looked at everything.  Here are a couple of "issues":

1)  I do not want to select to let LoTW override the log data.  But I am trying to "match" may awards with the integrated DXKeeper log.
2)  I want to look at log statistics to ensure the log counts are correct for each callsign.  I thought there was way to get statistics for each MyQTH ID?
3)  I had some busted calls that I have resolved during the log transfer.  But none of those were critical DXCC counters.
4)  Does DXKeeper require that I do segmented LoTW loads based on the MyQTH callsign?  I thought not because all of my LoTW records are under a N0YY "superset".

Any help, guidance, chiding, pointing me to the right place to "read the manual" , etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick N0YY

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2022-07-07 7:16 AM, Rick Heinrich wrote:
All of the historic callsigns are subordinate to N0YY so I assume
(that may be a bad assumption) that all shold resolve with a single
signed TQSL ADIF file.
Bad assumption. You need a separate certificate for each callsign
and can only "sign" with a single certificate/station location per
batch.

If you have previously uploaded QSOs to LotW with another logger,
I would (before leaving for the say or going to bed) do a CONTROL-click
on the "Sync LotW QSOs" button to update the "LotW Sent" status on
every QSO. Note: this can take a significant time.

Once you have updated the LotW Sent (uploaded) status to match the
QSOs already uploaded to LotW, you can filter (sequentially) the log
for each Callsign/QTH combination and to "Add All" (decline the offer
to clear the filter) to the QSL Queue and then Upload. Note: if there
is a disagreement between tQSL and LotW as to what QSOs have been
uploaded, it may be necessary to select QSO Config -> LotW and check
"permit uploading of QSOs already uploaded to LotW" (for each call
and QTH).

... Joe, W4TV

Thanks to everyone for their sage advice.  Clearly the "backing up of my existing DXKeeper log was a critical suggestion.  It was necessary to use this a couple of times to do a couple of do-overs.
Now I am struggling trying to get LoTW updates in place.  I get many different versions of "No upload of ADIF - cancelled by user".  I have been unsuccessful with any approach so far.
All of the callsigns are US domestic callsigns (lower 48) so no other entity is involved.  I will create a large file for TQSL signing and it gets rejected.  All of the historic callsigns are subordinate to N0YY so I assume (that may be a bad assumption) that all shold resolve with a single signed TQSL ADIF file.
I probably have a setting set incorrectly somewhere but I have looked at everything.  Here are a couple of "issues":
1)  I do not want to select to let LoTW override the log data.  But I am trying to "match" may awards with the integrated DXKeeper log.
2)  I want to look at log statistics to ensure the log counts are correct for each callsign.  I thought there was way to get statistics for each MyQTH ID?
3)  I had some busted calls that I have resolved during the log transfer.  But none of those were critical DXCC counters.
4)  Does DXKeeper require that I do segmented LoTW loads based on the MyQTH callsign?  I thought not because all of my LoTW records are under a N0YY "superset".
Any help, guidance, chiding, pointing me to the right place to "read the manual" , etc. would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rick N0YY

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

+ Take a look at

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/LotWMultipleCallsignsLocations

Dave, AA6YQ

Rick Murphy

On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 9:35 AM Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@...> wrote:

> All of the historic callsigns are subordinate to N0YY so I assume
> (that may be a bad assumption) that all shold resolve with a single
> signed TQSL ADIF file.

Bad assumption.  You need a separate certificate for each callsign
batch.

That's not really true.
If your ADIF file contains at the minimum a STATION_CALLSIGN for each QSO (and you have a callsign certificate for those callsigns) you can sign a log for multiple calls all at once.
The same is true for QTH details if you set TQSL up properly, and you don't need to have separate station locations - just the right "MY_STATE", "MY_GRID", "MY_CNTY" settings per-QSO.)

Configure TQSL with "File/Display or Modify Preferences", "Log Handling", then select "Override Station Location with QTH details from your log".
    -Rick
--
Rick Murphy, D. Sc., CISSP-ISSAP, K1MU/4, Annandale VA USA

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2022-07-07 7:50 PM, Rick Murphy wrote:

The same is true for QTH details if you set TQSL up properly, and you
don't need to have separate station locations - just the right
"MY_STATE", "MY_GRID", "MY_CNTY" settings per-QSO.)
Unfortunately, unless something has changed and I missed it, DXKeeper
does not include MY_STATE, MY_Grid, MY_CNTY, etc. per QSO. The user
must select Station Location (MY-QTH-ID) and Callsign (Certificate)
in the (DXKeeper) QSL Queue and thee Station Location/Certificate is
passed to tQSL in the command line.

... Joe, W4TV

On 2022-07-07 7:50 PM, Rick Murphy wrote:
On Thu, Jul 7, 2022 at 9:35 AM Joe Subich, W4TV <lists@... <mailto:lists@...>> wrote:
> All of the historic callsigns are subordinate to N0YY so I assume
> (that may be a bad assumption) that all shold resolve with a single
> signed TQSL ADIF file.
Bad assumption.  You need a separate certificate for each callsign
batch.
That's not really true.
If your ADIF file contains at the minimum a STATION_CALLSIGN for each QSO (and you have a callsign certificate for those callsigns) you can sign a log for multiple calls all at once.
The same is true for QTH details if you set TQSL up properly, and you don't need to have separate station locations - just the right "MY_STATE", "MY_GRID", "MY_CNTY" settings per-QSO.)
Configure TQSL with "File/Display or Modify Preferences", "Log Handling", then select "Override Station Location with QTH details from your log".
    -Rick
--
Rick Murphy, D. Sc., CISSP-ISSAP, K1MU/4, Annandale VA USA

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

+ DXKeeper's automation for uploading QSOs to LoTW creates batches of QSOs that share the same Station_Callsign and "Station Location". See

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/LotWMultipleCallsignsLocations

+ Rick, I have not extended DXKeeper to exploit TQSL's recently-gained ability to handle differing "Station Locations" in the same batch.

Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below
Unfortunately, unless something has changed and I missed it, DXKeeper
does not include MY_STATE, MY_Grid, MY_CNTY, etc. per QSO.

+ To be clear, that's correct when submitting QSOs to LoTW. 

+  Enabling this option enables includes "My QTH" information per QSO when exporting an ADIF file:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/Export.htm#Export%20QTH%20definitions

Dave, AA6YQ

Rick Heinrich

I very much appreciate all of the responses I've received to my situation.

First, let me Identify what I have accomplished.

1)  I broke the exported ADIF file from DX4Win into blocks associated with specific station callsigns used.  This also provided specific date ranges.
2)  I have valid TQSL certificates for each of the callsigns.
3)  I created MyQTH ID for each of the blocks.  It looks like this:

Did I violate a syntax, protocol, etc. by setting myQTH ID to the specific callsign associated to locations?

3)  When I sort through the log and select specific QSOs for the "historical" QSOs the myQTH shows the myQTH and "station call".  I believe that I have imported the DX4Win into DXKeeper.

This is where things come apart for me.  Dave provided specific guidance e.g. https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/LotWMultipleCallsignsLocations and I am having difficulty following the steps outlined.

1)  I believe the case as noted in the Wiki is III - Uploading QSOs to LoTW made from multiple locations with multiple Statin Callsigns - is my specific case.

2)  I do not know how or where to "Filter the Log Page Display" to be able to set a date range or a station callsign.  I presume I al trying to set a date range to limit the log to only include a list of QSOs associated with a date range for one station callsign or myQTH ID.

3)  My expectation is that I will get to a point where the sort of the dates/station callsign will allow the QSL Queue to populate and I can submit to LoTW.  Maybe that is a leap too far.

I am still trying to confirm that all QSOs have been included in the merged log.  I thought I read somewhere that there is a "report" of log statistics that would show how my QSOs per station callsign could be set.  That would allow me to view the list against the LoTW list of QSO/QSL to show what has been associated with each of the TQSL submissions.  Just another check.

I will also need guidance on how to set tick boxes so that the LoTW upload attempts to not collapse.  Every time I try I get a failure that says it is a user requested cancellation but the report shows a single callsign that  seems to bring things down.  But not the same callsign when it is "canceled".

But one step at a time...

Again, thanks for everyone's help.

Rick N0YY

Joe Subich, W4TV

3) I created MyQTH ID for each of the blocks. It looks like this:
Images are not conveyed on this free group.

2) I do not know how or where to "Filter the Log Page Display" to be
able to set a date range or a station callsign. I presume I al trying
to set a date range to limit the log to only include a list of QSOs
associated with a date range for one station callsign or myQTH ID.
Filters are generated on the Advance Sorts, Filters & Modifiers screen
(the ADV button) beside the "VCR controls" on the Log Page Display.

You can also filter the log page display with SQL. See: Filtering the
Log Page Display and Filtering the Log Page Display with SQL topics in
DXKeeper's built-in Help.

... Joe, W4TV

On 2022-07-08 6:51 AM, Rick Heinrich wrote:
1)  I broke the exported ADIF file from DX4Win into blocks associated with specific station callsigns used.  This also provided specific date ranges.
Did I violate a syntax, protocol, etc. by setting myQTH ID to the specific callsign associated to locations?
3)  When I sort through the log and select specific QSOs for the "historical" QSOs the myQTH shows the myQTH and "station call".  I believe that I have imported the DX4Win into DXKeeper.
This is where things come apart for me.  Dave provided specific guidance e.g. https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/LotWMultipleCallsignsLocations <https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/LotWMultipleCallsignsLocations> and I am having difficulty following the steps outlined.
1)  I believe the case as noted in the Wiki is III - Uploading QSOs to LoTW made from multiple locations with multiple Statin Callsigns - is my specific case.
2)  I do not know how or where to "Filter the Log Page Display" to be able to set a date range or a station callsign.  I presume I al trying to set a date range to limit the log to only include a list of QSOs associated with a date range for one station callsign or myQTH ID.
3)  My expectation is that I will get to a point where the sort of the dates/station callsign will allow the QSL Queue to populate and I can submit to LoTW.  Maybe that is a leap too far.
I am still trying to confirm that all QSOs have been included in the merged log.  I thought I read somewhere that there is a "report" of log statistics that would show how my QSOs per station callsign could be set.  That would allow me to view the list against the LoTW list of QSO/QSL to show what has been associated with each of the TQSL submissions.  Just another check.
I will also need guidance on how to set tick boxes so that the LoTW upload attempts to not collapse.  Every time I try I get a failure that says it is a user requested cancellation but the report shows a single callsign that  seems to bring things down.  But not the same callsign when it is "canceled".
But one step at a time...
Again, thanks for everyone's help.
Rick N0YY

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

+ No, but in my experience it's better to use a "MyQTH ID" that indicates a geographic location.

This is where things come apart for me.  Dave provided specific guidance e.g. https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/LotWMultipleCallsignsLocations and I am having difficulty following the steps outlined.

+ Correct.
2)  I do not know how or where to "Filter the Log Page Display" to be able to set a date range or a station callsign. 

+ Please review

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/FilterLog.htm

+ and

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSOFiltering

+ If you still have questions, don't hesitate to post them here.

I presume I al trying to set a date range to limit the log to only include a list of QSOs associated with a date range for one station callsign or myQTH ID.

+ Each batch of QSOs you direct DXKeeper to submit to LoTW must have been made using the same "Station Callsign" from the same geographic location. For example

(STATION_CALLSIGN='AA6YQ') and (MYQTHID = 'Wayland')

+ After filtering the Log Page Display to contain a batch of QSOs made using the same "Station Callsign" from the same geographic location,

1. In the TQSL panel at the bottom of the "QSL Configuration" window's LoTW tab

1a. select the "Station Location" associated with that geographic location

1b. set the "Station Callsign" to  batch's "Station Callsign" 

2. On the Main window's QSL tab,

2a. set the "QSL Via" panel to LoTW

2b. click the "Add All" button to populate the QSL Queue with the QSOs in the batch

2c. click the "Upload to LoTW" button

+ Repeat the above steps until each of your "same callsign, same location" batches have been submitted.

I am still trying to confirm that all QSOs have been included in the merged log. I thought I read somewhere that there is a "report" of log statistics that would show how my QSOs per station callsign could be set. That would allow me to view the list against the LoTW list of QSO/QSL to show what has been associated with each of the TQSL submissions.  Just another check.

+ You should confirm that all QSOs have been included in your DXKeeper log before you submit them to LoTW, not after. LoTW is unforgiving: once you submit a QSO, you cannot retract it. As good carpenters say, "Measure twice, cut once".

+ There is a Report button on the Main window's "My QTHs" tab that will generate a report showing the number of QSOs made from each "My QTH".

+ To which "tick boxes" are you referring?

+ What is the exact text of the TQSL error message(s) you are receiving?

Dave, AA6YQ

Rick Heinrich

Just an update.

I believe that I have been successful in importing the historical log info from DX4Win.  Total QSO count is the same.  I broke all of the DX4Win ADIFs into ranges associated with Station Callsigns and associated Locations.  I created Station Location info in TQSL associated with each of the 7 segments.  All of the segments were updated to include the Station Call info for each contact in those segments.

The problem I am having is resolving LoTW against the integrated log.  My DX4Win log was completely correct with my DXCC status and Honor Roll award.  But now there are several discrepancies with the integrated log.  There are differences between Worked, confirmed, and verified status.  I printed out the ARRL LoTW info on callsigns associated with my DXCC totals, my 5BDXCC records/status, and my honor roll listing records.  These all agree with the DX4Win status on each.  But DXKeeper does not agree.  Initially there were 38 differences.  Most of these were worked, confirmed, and verified inconsistencies.

So I probably broke all the rules and went into each of the log records in DXKeeper and edited and saved the verification status on the 38 differences.  This closed the gap but there are still differences.  For example my Honor Roll Totals for Mixed (including deleted) are off by 3.  The listing not including deleted countries is off by 2.  There are different discrepancies with CW and Phone numbers that are different as well.

I have tried syncing QSOs, I have tied syncing QSLs, I have done the CTRL Sync Log all with the same results.

I am frustrated!  Clearly I am missing something simple but I do not know where to turn.

I had an idea to do the following:
1) Import the ARRL LoTW .adi file which should have all the correct info.  I realize this will create probably 10,000 duplicates.  
2) Merge the duplicates.

Is this a valid step?  I seem to recall that Dave has admonished others to not take this step - so I hve not pushed the button yet.

I have done the Compare function in DXCC Progress, but this seems to illustrate Worked, confirmed, and verified differences but not for the entities in question.

So what should be my next steps.  This has been a learning experience but I am getting a bit short tempered at not being able to resolve the issue.

And to be clear - what I am trying to accomplish is to get the integrated log accurate so that I can have confidence in the ability to see band and mode info from spots for stations to work to fill in the gaps for 10B DXCC and 5B WAZ.  But right now I have no way of knowing what I have!

Suggestions?

Thanks,
Rick N0YY

Joe Subich, W4TV

Is this a valid step? I seem to recall that Dave has admonished
others to not take this step - so I hve not pushed the button yet.
DON'T DO THAT. It is more trouble than what it is worth.

Have you used Check Progress -> DXCC, Challenge & Top List -> Compare?

It should give an entity by entity and band by band list of
discrepancies.

Most likely issues is that some QSOs/Credit are under and incorrect
country - particularly old prefixes (e.g., ex-USSR) and DELETED
countries.

... Joe, W4TV

On 2022-07-12 7:00 AM, Rick Heinrich wrote:
Just an update.
I believe that I have been successful in importing the historical log info from DX4Win.  Total QSO count is the same.  I broke all of the DX4Win ADIFs into ranges associated with Station Callsigns and associated Locations.  I created Station Location info in TQSL associated with each of the 7 segments.  All of the segments were updated to include the Station Call info for each contact in those segments.
The problem I am having is resolving LoTW against the integrated log.  My DX4Win log was completely correct with my DXCC status and Honor Roll award.  But now there are several discrepancies with the integrated log.  There are differences between Worked, confirmed, and verified status.  I printed out the ARRL LoTW info on callsigns associated with my DXCC totals, my 5BDXCC records/status, and my honor roll listing records.  These all agree with the DX4Win status on each.  But DXKeeper does not agree.  Initially there were 38 differences.  Most of these were worked, confirmed, and verified inconsistencies.
So I probably broke all the rules and went into each of the log records in DXKeeper and edited and saved the verification status on the 38 differences.  This closed the gap but there are still differences.  For example my Honor Roll Totals for Mixed (including deleted) are off by 3.  The listing not including deleted countries is off by 2.  There are different discrepancies with CW and Phone numbers that are different as well.
I have tried syncing QSOs, I have tied syncing QSLs, I have done the CTRL Sync Log all with the same results.
I am frustrated!  Clearly I am missing something simple but I do not know where to turn.
I had an idea to do the following:
1) Import the ARRL LoTW .adi file which should have all the correct info.  I realize this will create probably 10,000 duplicates.
2) Merge the duplicates.
Is this a valid step?  I seem to recall that Dave has admonished others to not take this step - so I hve not pushed the button yet.
I have done the Compare function in DXCC Progress, but this seems to illustrate Worked, confirmed, and verified differences but not for the entities in question.
So what should be my next steps.  This has been a learning experience but I am getting a bit short tempered at not being able to resolve the issue.
And to be clear - what I am trying to accomplish is to get the integrated log accurate so that I can have confidence in the ability to see band and mode info from spots for stations to work to fill in the gaps for 10B DXCC and 5B WAZ.  But right now I have no way of knowing what I have!
Suggestions?
Thanks,
Rick N0YY

Rick Heinrich

Joe,

Yes I have done the Compare.  It identifies 75 "errors".  Those errors are showing errors between the DXKeeper QSL of either W or C (Worked or Confirmed) but the Verify shows as a V.  Each error has groups of lines which I attribute to multi-band contacts.  I believe there are 22 discrete calls within the 75 errors.  None of which track to the missing DXCC verifications.

I also loaded the LoTW list of verified countries, both current and deleted, and did the same from the DXKeeper DXCC Progress text file and did a line by line comparison.  They matched.  But when I did the Ctrl Sync, the summary did not match and the 2 missing current country and 3 missing from the current plus deleted persisted.

I've gone back and confirmed the DX4Win log is consistent with LoTW applied credits.

I'm stumped.

Rick N0YY 

Rick Heinrich

Joe,

All I really want to do is have LoTW overwrite the DXKeeper log to get the summaries between LoTW and DXK to agree.

Arrrrgghhhh...

Rick N0YY 

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below
All I really want to do is have LoTW overwrite the DXKeeper log to get the summaries between LoTW and DXK to agree.

Arrrrgghhhh..

+ Step 1 is to understand the cause of the 38 discrepancies.

+ Pick one discrepancy, and understand exactly why DX4WIN shows one result and DXKeeper shows another. Find the QSO for which each application reaches a different conclusion about its DXCC entity, or its confirmation status. Examine the ADIF record for that QSO. Which DXCC entity is specified in this QSO; what QSL card and LoTW confirmation status is specified?

+ After you understand the cause of one discrepancy, you will likely understand the source of all of them, and can take appropriate corrective action.

Dave, AA6YQ