Topics

iCOM RIT slider control

Norm - KC1BMD

The IC-7600 has a CI-V command to switch RIT on and off, which is easily implemented with a button sequence.
The commands for that are:

     FEFE<CIV>E0210100FD -> OFF
     FEFE<CIV>E0210101FD -> ON

Is it possible to implement a slider that could act like the radio's front panel knob to adjust the RIT frequency up/down?
That command uses signed numbers between -9.999 KHz and 9.999 KHz and I know there are substitution strings for number format.

The command for RIT frequency adjustment is in this format:

     FEFE<CIV>E02100abcdxyFD

Where:

a = 10 Hz: 0 - 9
b = 1 Hz: 0 - 9
c = 1 kHz: 0 - 9
d = 100 Hz: 0 - 9
x = 00: + (plus)
y = 01: - (minus)

I cannot just define a slider range between: lower bound = - Z and upper bound = Z because the "sign" is embedded in the last two digits of the command (x y).
I could possibly make it work with two sliders (one for plus and one for minus adjustments) but that's getting a little unwieldy to use.
Of course, I might just as well forget it and use the knob, but I was more curious about how it could be done than whether I might actually do it.

--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

[...]

+ Since engineers at transceiver development companies evidently can't be constrained to employ the standard representations for signed and unsigned numbers, Commander provides "Substitution Strings" that reformat numbers into the various unique formats encountered in various CAT instruction sets:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/commander/Help/CommandSequences.htm#Substitution%20strings

+ Evidently, no one has previously requested the addition of a substitution string that supports the "signed decimal digits with the sign on the right side represented by 00 or 01" format that Icom uses in their RIT/XIT CI-V commands. Whether that's because ops prefer to use their transceiver's knobs to adjust RIT/XIT, or because whether RIT/XIT aren't used much anymore, I can't say. In my own operation, I don't bother adjusting RIT if someone responds to me slightly off-frequency in CW or SSB, and I use Split rather than XIT when running a pileup.

Norm - KC1BMD

Thanks for the explanation.
--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

Carl - WC4H

Hi Norm.

Like Dave, I no longer use RIT,
If you can't get the slider workiing, you can create several buttons with different values.  Normally, the RIT is only used for a few KHz so 3 to 5 buttons should do it.  More than that and you might consider using split.

73.
Carl - WC4H

If you can't get the slider workiing, you can create several buttons with different values.  Normally, the RIT is only used for a few KHz so 3 to 5 buttons should do it.  More than that and you might consider using split.

+ Or implement a single sequence that cycles through a sequence of offsets.

+ With sliders that work by generating CAT commands, there's a delay between your adjusting the slider, the command being sent to the transceiver, the transceiver's microprocessor decoding the command, and the transceiver's microprocessor modifying the controlled item. This isn't problematic for making changes to settings like RF power or AF gain, but when trying to precisely adjust a setting like RIT, the delay can cause overshoot. If your transceiver's front panel is is a few inches from your hand, reach for the RIT knob, not your mouse.

Norm - KC1BMD

Thanks for the suggestions!
--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

Norm - KC1BMD

On Sat, Feb 20, 2021 at 03:15 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
If you can't get the slider workiing, you can create several buttons with different values.  Normally, the RIT is only used for a few KHz so 3 to 5 buttons should do it.  More than that and you might consider using split.

+ Or implement a single sequence that cycles through a sequence of offsets.

I used your suggestion Dave, and also included a command to turn on RIT when I click the button to cycle through several settings.

--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

Dave AA6YQ

I just sent you a version of Commander extended to support a new "R" substitution string that can be used in a slider to control an Icom transceiver's RIT or delta-TX.

Please let me know how it goes.