ICOM 7800 RS232 interface

Richard Pestinger

I have been helping a fellow HAM to interface his ICOM 7800 with 3.1 firmware to Commander. He has an Acom 2000a amp which he also is connecting to his radio. When the Acom is connected to the remote port of the radio it follows the radio as it should. When the ICOM 7800 is connected to the radio via the RS232 port using a USB to DB9 DCE there is no response, the error log looks like it is just sitting waiting for a response. He connected the CT17 up and connected it to the radio and the USB to DB9 to the CT17 via a DB25 to DB9 adapter and the radio communicated with commander as expected but connecting the ACOM to the CT17 had no affect on the ACOM, as I expected it would, no ACOM control. The ACOM did sense the RF and follow the radio.
Is it possible to control the radio via the RS232 and and the ACOM via the remote jack? My friend lives several states away from me so it is not possible to work at the radio console. he only has wifi and no hub so ethernet is out..
Thanks & 73
Richard, KC8RP

I have been helping a fellow HAM to interface his ICOM 7800 with 3.1 firmware to Commander. He has an Acom 2000a amp which he also is connecting to his radio. When the Acom is connected to the remote port of the radio it follows the radio as it should. When the ICOM 7800 is connected to the radio via the RS232 port using a USB to DB9 DCE there is no response, the error log looks like it is just sitting waiting for a response.

+ As documented on page 12-22 on the IC-7800 manual, there's an "RS-232C Function" menu item that determines whether the backpanel RS-232C connector conveys CI-V data or decoded PSK/RTTY. To use the RS-232C connector for CAT control, this menu item should be set to "CI-V".

He connected the CT17 up and connected it to the radio and the USB to DB9 to the CT17 via a DB25 to DB9 adapter and the radio communicated with commander as expected but connecting the ACOM to the CT17 had no affect on the ACOM, as I expected it would, no ACOM control. The ACOM did sense the RF and follow the radio.

Is it possible to control the radio via the RS232 and and the ACOM via the remote jack? My friend lives several states away from me so it is not possible to work at the radio console. he only has wifi and no hub so ethernet is out..

+ Configuring the RS-232C connector to support CAT control should Commander to control the IC-7800 via the RS-232C port and CT17, and the amplifier to track the transceiver's frequency via the REMOTE port. Alternatively, you use Commander's Secondary CAT port to enable the amplifier to follow the Primary transceiver's frequency -- even if the primary transceiver isn't an Icom. See

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ControlDeviceViaSecondaryCATPort