IC-705 wireless WLAN connection?

Joe DX

Hey Dave,

I can operate my IC-705 completely wireless, that is without a USB connection to the computer.
The WLAN in the 705 can act as an access point and it works great for audio, keying . . . anything.
Is there anything in the works to allow DXLab to operate without a teather (USB) via the WLAN?

All the best,
Joe DX
K0PLT

I can operate my IC-705 completely wireless, that is without a USB connection to the computer.
The WLAN in the 705 can act as an access point and it works great for audio, keying . . . anything.
Is there anything in the works to allow DXLab to operate without a teather (USB) via the WLAN?

+ There's nothing in the works, Peter. Besides saving the $10 cost of the USB A-B cable, what would be the benefit?

Siegfried Jackstien

how is it the found in windows?? as a serial via bluetooth device?? then it would show up like a normal serial connection (a com port so to speak) ... similöar as a serial to usb connction shos up as a comport

auidio via bluetooth? then it would show like a normal soiundcard

or in other words if it is all via bluetooth it would work similar as a wired connection

or ... is it wifi/wlan and it connects to your home wireless lan to your router with an own ip number?? that would be more complicated then

my guess its bluetooth (i do not own a 705) ... so at least its worth a try to use that wireless connection

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 10.04.2021 um 18:59 schrieb Joe DX:

[...]

+ Wireless LAN operation is described in chapter 11 of the IC-705's Advanced manual. This section very briefly describes 5 functions:

1. Synchronizing the internal clock with a time management server

2. Outputting the demodulated AF signal or 12 kHz IF signal

3. Remote control using the optional RS-BA1 software application

4. Gateway communication using the Internal Gateway function

5. Transferring pictures from a PC or a mobile device.

+ The protocol used for remotely control using the optional RS-BA1 software application is not documented. A similar and undocumented capability is provided in other recent Icom transceivers, so this protocol may have been reverse engineered by now.

+ Bluetooth operation is described in chapter 10 of the IC-705's Advanced manual. Bluetooth is used to convey audio to and from a headset and microphone.

pthorpe <pthorpe@yahoo.com>

Thanks, Dave/all

I am trying to eliminate the USB because it causes a massive spike in noise when I use it with my MS Surface Pro in the field (POTA) That's funny though I am not that cheap for the cable's sake. Next is try some kind of choke on the USB cable.

 The 705 has two network modes.
  1. It can be easily configured as an Access Point (connect to a PC or phone) as a network source. This connection of course does not provide internet connectivity to the corresponding phone/PC.
  2. It can also be configured as a Station and connect to your home/hotspot internet just like any device (PC/phone) and gain internet access. Making it very fun to do digital modes and terminal modes.
In all good fun I would also make a case for . . . "it's the future". It will be very entertaining to see what innovations come of this IC-705 feature.

73
Joe DX
K0PLT

I am trying to eliminate the USB because it causes a massive spike in noise when I use it with my MS Surface Pro in the field (POTA) That's funny though I am not that cheap for the cable's sake. Next is try some kind of choke on the USB cable.

+ If the choke isn't sufficient, take a look at the grounding among your system components.

The 705 has two network modes.

1. It can be easily configured as an Access Point (connect to a PC or phone) as a network source. This connection of course does not provide internet connectivity to the corresponding phone/PC.
2. It can also be configured as a Station and connect to your home/hotspot internet just like any device (PC/phone) and gain internet access. Making it very fun to do digital modes and terminal modes.

In all good fun I would also make a case for . . . "it's the future". It will be very entertaining to see what innovations come of this IC-705 feature.

+ Little will come of the "remote control" capability unless and until Icom documents the protocol. At present, they are in "optimize sales of RS-BA1" mode.

+ Commander has long interacted with Flex Signature radios via an Ethernet connection.

Björn SM7IUN

If you value being wireless higher than having access to the waterfall I
can recommend using the Bluetooth serial port.

If your computer does not already have it, a dongle is just a few dollars.

Björn SM7IUN

+ AA6YQ comments below