IC7100 Freq Change

Bruce N7XGR

Dave,  On a PC I have Commander running controlling a IC7610
version 15.2.0.  When I click in the frequency display on any digit
I can then use the mouse wheel to go up or down in frequency.
But on a different PC I have Commander running controlling a IC7100
version 15.4.4 which I just updated to the latest from ver 15.2.0.
Both versions have a problem where if I click on any digit the mouse
wheel does not change the frequency.
All settings look to be good and I am in VFO mode.
Am I missing something?  The IC7100 does not have a ECHO Back setting
but the IC7610 does, is this it?

Bruce  N7XGR

Dave,  On a PC I have Commander running controlling a IC7610
version 15.2.0.  When I click in the frequency display on any digit
I can then use the mouse wheel to go up or down in frequency.
But on a different PC I have Commander running controlling a IC7100
version 15.4.4 which I just updated to the latest from ver 15.2.0.
Both versions have a problem where if I click on any digit the mouse
wheel does not change the frequency.
All settings look to be good and I am in VFO mode.
Am I missing something?  The IC7100 does not have a ECHO Back setting
but the IC7610 does, is this it?

+ No.Commander does not rely on the availability of an "ECHO Back setting". I just reconfirmed that Commander 15.4.4 provides mousewheel control of an IC-706, which also lacks an "ECHO Back" setting.

+ When Commander is first installed on a system, it places and registers the MouseWheelControl.ocx component; if registration of this component fails, mousewheel control will not be available.

+ Is there an errorlog.txt file in your Commander folder on the system that controls your iC-7100? If so, please attach it to an email message, and send it to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

+ If there's no errorlog.txt file present then please do the following:

1. set your IC-7100 to 14005 in CW

2. on the Configuration window's General tab, check the "Log debugging info" box

3. using your mousewheel, click on the 5 in Commander's "VFO A" panel and rotate the mousewheel upwards for a few seconds, and then downward for a few seconds

4. on the Configuration window's General tab, uncheck the "Log debugging info" box

5.  attach the errorlog.txt file to an email message, and send it my way

Bruce N7XGR

Dave and others,  An update, the mouse in question is from Microsoft model,
Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000.  I have tried this on 2 kitchen table built Win 7 PC's
and a HP Win 8.1 laptop.  All three have the same problem with this mouse
where clicking on any digit in the frequency display and using the wheel
does not change the frequency.
I put on a Logitech mouse and clicking on any digit results with a change in frequency.
It is strange that using a Microsoft Mouse in a Win PC has this problem with Commander.
The MS mouse works just fine on web pages using the scroll wheel.
The error log file indicated that no mouse wheel activity was detected in Commander.
It is able to click on buttons and move sliders and make check marks in Commander.
I am wondering is this, MouseWheelControl.ocx  which is 20 years old needs to be updated
and it shows up in the System32 and SysWOW64 folders.  From what I found there is no
updated version.

Bruce  N7XGR

On Sat, Jul 9, 2022 at 11:16 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
[...]

Dave and others, An update, the mouse in question is from Microsoft model, Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000. I have tried this on 2 kitchen table built Win 7 PC's and a HP Win 8.1 laptop. All three have the same problem with this mouse where clicking on any digit in the frequency display and using the wheel does not change the frequency.
I put on a Logitech mouse and clicking on any digit results with a change in frequency.
It is strange that using a Microsoft Mouse in a Win PC has this problem with Commander.

The MS mouse works just fine on web pages using the scroll wheel.
The error log file indicated that no mouse wheel activity was detected in Commander.
It is able to click on buttons and move sliders and make check marks in Commander.
I am wondering is this, MouseWheelControl.ocx which is 20 years old needs to be updated and it shows up in the System32 and SysWOW64 folders. From what I found there is no updated version.

+ Given the wide variety of pointing devices with which MouseWHeelControl.ocx works correctly. the fact that one particular mouse doesn't report wheel rotation events is not evidence that MouseWheelControl.ocx is broken.

w6de

While the computer is up and running pull out the mouse USB plug from the computer you should hear the Windows USB disconnect sound, wait a few seconds then plug the Mouse USB cord back in.  You should hear the USB connect sound.  Observe if the Computer/Windows says something to the effect installing new USB device.

If not try updating the mouse driver in Device Manager.

73,

Dave, w6de

[...]

Tom Blahovici

Another possibility...adjust the mouse wheel ticks in the control panel of windows. It may be set too high.73 Tom

Bruce N7XGR

Tom,  It has a setting of 4, I lowered it to 1 but no dice.
I also raised it to 45 and again no dice.
If I rotate it very fast it does change the frequency but erratic
and definitely not as smooth as the Logitech rodent.

Bruce  N7XGR

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 6:29 PM Tom Blahovici <tom.va2fsq@...> wrote:
Another possibility...adjust the mouse wheel ticks in the control panel of windows. It may be set too high.73 Tom

Tom,  It has a setting of 4, I lowered it to 1 but no dice.
I also raised it to 45 and again no dice.
If I rotate it very fast it does change the frequency but erratic
and definitely not as smooth as the Logitech rodent.

+ That sounds like a hardware malfunction.

Bruce N7XGR

Dave,  As pointed out if I go to a web page then the scrolling
is smooth and is definitely not erratic, on a simple notepad
it is also smooth.
It is not interacting very well with Commander for some reason.
If it was a hardware problem then all scrolling will be erratic.

Tis strange,  Bruce  N7XGR

On Thu, Sep 29, 2022 at 7:46 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
Tom,  It has a setting of 4, I lowered it to 1 but no dice.
I also raised it to 45 and again no dice.
If I rotate it very fast it does change the frequency but erratic
and definitely not as smooth as the Logitech rodent.

+ That sounds like a hardware malfunction.

Dave, As pointed out if I go to a web page then the scrolling is smooth and is definitely not erratic, on a simple notepad it is also smooth.
It is not interacting very well with Commander for some reason.
If it was a hardware problem then all scrolling will be erratic.

+ Hardware problems can prevent correct operation with some applications, but not others.

Tis strange

+ Since MouseWheelControl.ocx was developed by Microsoft, and since your mouse was developed by Microsoft, and since there have been no similar reports of Commander having mouse wheel rotation problems with any other mouse, I suggest that you engage Microsoft support. I'll be happy to help, if needed...