Iambic Mode A with Winwarbler and Icom ?

Andrew OBrien

My Icom 705's internal keying does not support Mode A keying with a paddle plugged in. I note that in the documentation for Winwarbler there is description of both Mode A and Mode B. Does that mean that I can use Mode A with a paddle and the 705 (if using WW) or does it require an external keyer like a Microham keyer ?
I  could try it and see tomorrow when I have time, but I thought I would ask in advance.

Andy K3UK

My Icom 705's internal keying does not support Mode A keying with a paddle plugged in. I note that in the documentation for Winwarbler there is description of both Mode A and Mode B. Does that mean that I can use Mode A with a paddle and the 705 (if using WW) or does it require an external keyer like a Microham keyer ?

+ WinWarbler can use an external WinKey circuit to generate CW. A WinKey also accepts "input" from a paddle, and can be configured to use iambic A or B.

Andrew OBrien

Thanks Dave.  I was afraid that might be the answer, I'm puzzled as to why Icom does not support Mode B in their modern rigs. I'll have to decide if I want to buy a WinKey device of re-learn sending via use of Mode B.
Andy K3UK

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 9:49 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

My Icom 705's internal keying does not support Mode A keying with a paddle plugged in. I note that in the documentation for Winwarbler there is description of both Mode A and Mode B. Does that mean that I can use Mode A with a paddle and the 705 (if using WW) or does it require an external keyer like a Microham keyer ?

+ WinWarbler can use an external WinKey circuit to generate CW. A WinKey also accepts "input" from a paddle, and  can be configured to use iambic A or B.

WinKey makes a couple of inexpensive stripped-down versions. I am using a kit version that has a serial connection to the host computer. It does the job, has Mode B, and reportedly can use a serial\USB converter if you don’t have a legacy serial port on your computer. These bare-bones keyers do not work in stand-alone mode though, so you still need an application like DXlab or N1MM  that will accept their outputs. The K1EL website has more info.

Chuck, N4NM

Thanks Dave.  I was afraid that might be the answer, I'm puzzled as to why Icom does not support Mode B in their modern rigs. I'll have to decide if I want to buy a WinKey device of re-learn sending via use of Mode B.

Andy K3UK

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 9:49 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

My Icom 705's internal keying does not support Mode A keying with a paddle plugged in. I note that in the documentation for Winwarbler there is description of both Mode A and Mode B. Does that mean that I can use Mode A with a paddle and the 705 (if using WW) or does it require an external keyer like a Microham keyer ?

+ WinWarbler can use an external WinKey circuit to generate CW. A WinKey also accepts "input" from a paddle, and  can be configured to use iambic A or B.

Ben Coleman NJ8J

On 9/16/2021 10:02 PM, Andrew OBrien wrote:
I'll have to decide if I want to buy a WinKey device of re-learn sending via use of Mode B.
You might also want to look at the Mortty v4 (https://hamprojects.info/mortty/), an arduino-based device that can run K3NG's Winkeyer clone sketch.

Ben
--
Ben Coleman nj8j@benshome.net
"I love the way Microsoft follows standards. In much the