Topics

How to speed up the loading times: DXLauncher + DXKeeper

w1cfa@...

I just installed DXLauncher and DXKeeper on my PC (Intel i7-8665U CPU @ 1.90GHz 2.11 GHz; 16GB RAM; 1TB HD).

It takes 1 minute 10 seconds to load DXL first and then 1 minute 35 seconds to load DXK.  Also, I launched DXK without launching DXL first: It takes 2 minutes and 38 seconds to load DXK.

Is it what I should expect in terms of the speed of loading the apps?   I've read somewhere that using Logitec keyboard/mouse might interfere with the loading process.   I do use Logitec wireless keyboard and mouse.  I will try without using the keyboard/mouse to see what happens, but I would rather not do that permanently.  Is there any way to boost the loading times?

Thanks,
Hiroshi Asada, W1CFA

I just installed DXLauncher and DXKeeper on my PC (Intel i7-8665U CPU @ 1.90GHz 2.11 GHz; 16GB RAM; 1TB HD).

It takes 1 minute 10 seconds to load DXL first and then 1 minute 35 seconds to load DXK. Also, I launched DXK without launching DXL first: It takes 2 minutes and 38 seconds to load DXK.

Is it what I should expect in terms of the speed of loading the apps? I've read somewhere that using Logitec keyboard/mouse might interfere with the loading process. I do use Logitec wireless keyboard and mouse. I will try without using the keyboard/mouse to see what happens, but I would rather not do that permanently. Is there any way to boost the loading times?

+ The most common cause of slow application startup times is improperly configured anti-malware. To see if this is the case on your system, please reboot Windows into "Safe mode with networking", start the Launcher, and then direct the Launcher to start DXKeeper. How long to the applications take to start?

w1cfa@yahoo.com <w1cfa@...>

Thank you.  I will test that and let you know the result.

73,
W1CFA

On Friday, January 15, 2021, 12:34:43 PM EST, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

Hi Dave,

I did run the two applications with the safe mode.  DXL and DXK took 3 and 6 seconds to load, respectively.  Does this prove that Windows Defender is preventing them from loading properly?  If so, what would you suggest I do?

Should I give the two applications "exclusion" from the Defender scan?  If so, would it be the only way to speed up the loading?

I see four applications under the Launcher folder:
- DXLabLauncher
- DXLabLauncher197
- DXLabLauncher214
- LauncherAgent
- LauncherUpgradeAgent

I see three applications and one application extension under the DXKeeper folder:

- DXKeeper
- DXKeeper719
- DXKeeper1596
- hamcall32.dll

Thank you for your help,

73,
Hiroshi, W1CFA

[...]

+ Yes.

If so, what would you suggest I do?

Should I give the two applications "exclusion" from the Defender scan? If so, would it be the only way to speed up the loading?

+ DXLabLauncher version 2.1.4 and DXKeeper 15.9.6 were submitted to Microsoft Security Intelligence before they were publicly released, and given a clean bill of health. Thus as a first step, I suggest that you update Windows Defender to the latest malware definitions in

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/definitions

+ If that's not effective, then configure Windows Defender to consider your DXLab applications to be "safe".

Paul Kelliher

Dave,

I have a similar issue but use Avast Premium which, supposedly, controls Windows Defender. At least when I run Windows Defender it says it is being controlled by Avast Premium. All DXLabs apps are "allowed" in Avast ( does not appear they use the word "safe"). Launcher and Pathfinder startup instantaneously, DxView is pretty quick but DXKeeper and SpotCollector are very slow. All are "Allowed" in Avast. Any suggestions as to what I might try?

Paul

On Jan 15, 2021, at 2:38 PM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

+ All I can say is

1. choose competent anti-malware

2. configure it as directed by the organization that supports it

Ted Bauer

Dave, et al,

I have recently noticed the same slow start up of Launcher, in particular. My malware choice, ESET, has not shown this kind of behavior with Launcher in the past. So either I don’t have ESET properly configured now or their profile update is lagging. Obviously I need to either do some investigation or learn to live with the slow start up - which had me wondering if the program had failed to start the first time the delay occurred. Thank God for both Task Manager and faith in DXLabs.
Just another datum point for the grist mill.

73
—-
Ted   WA3AER

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 15:25 Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

I have a similar issue but use Avast Premium which, supposedly, controls Windows Defender. At least when I run Windows Defender it
says it is being controlled by Avast Premium. All DXLabs apps are "allowed" in Avast ( does not appear they use the word "safe").
Launcher and Pathfinder startup instantaneously, DxView is pretty quick but DXKeeper and SpotCollector are very slow. All are
"Allowed" in Avast. Any suggestions as to what I might try?

+ All I can say is

1. choose competent anti-malware

2. configure it as directed by the organization that supports it

---
Ted   WA3AER

--
---
Ted   WA3AER

I have recently noticed the same slow start up of Launcher, in particular. My malware choice, ESET, has not shown this kind of behavior with Launcher in the past. So either I don’t have ESET properly configured now or their profile update is lagging. Obviously I need to either do some investigation or learn to live with the slow start up - which had me wondering if the program had failed to start the first time the delay occurred. Thank God for both Task Manager and faith in DXLabs.
Just another datum point for the grist mill.

+ I "pre-clear" new updates of DXLab applications with Microsoft because so many Windows 10 users employ Windows Defender. Doing so has dramatically reduced the complaints of "slow startup" and "no internet access" previous posted here. I don't know whether other anti-malware suppliers provide a "pre-clearance" capability, but it's moot because submitting each updated application to N anti-malware providers and awaiting their results is not practical.

+ My advice remains "choose a competent anti-malware provider, and configure it properly". In particular, anti-malware should not be permitted to deploy an update without your explicit approval, so that you'll be able to tell if a change in application behavior is the result of a recent anti-malware update.

+ Note that a misconfigured firewall can cause the same symptoms as a misconfigured antivirus application.

Gilbert Baron W0MN

In my opinion the use of 2 AV is a bad practice. No AV can be perfect and
Defender is free and as good as or better than any other. It is written by
Microsoft and they should know their own OS.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN
Hierro candente, batir de repente
44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

I have a similar issue but use Avast Premium which, supposedly, controls
Windows Defender. At least when I run Windows Defender it says it is being
controlled by Avast Premium. All DXLabs apps are "allowed" in Avast ( does
not appear they use the word "safe").
Launcher and Pathfinder startup instantaneously, DxView is pretty quick but
DXKeeper and SpotCollector are very slow. All are "Allowed" in Avast. Any
suggestions as to what I might try?

+ All I can say is

1. choose competent anti-malware

2. configure it as directed by the organization that supports it

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

The best way to find out what is going on when you load a program is to run Task Manager and watch what is going on when you start the program.  if you try to run anything right after you boot Windows there is all kinds of stuff running like Microsoft Indexing, Defender scans, other apps looking for updates, etc.  With Task Manager you can see what is going on and determine if just the usual start up stuff is affecting the launch of DXLab programs.  It isn't all AV stuff.

Bob AF9W

The best way to find out what is going on when you load a program is to run Task Manager and watch what is going on when you start the program.  if you try to run anything right after you boot Windows there is all kinds of stuff running like Microsoft Indexing, Defender scans, other apps looking for updates, etc.  With Task Manager you can see what is going on and determine if just the usual start up stuff is affecting the launch of DXLab programs.  It isn't all AV stuff.

+ Unless there's a way to make the Task Manager maintain a chronological log of its "observations", trying to follow which processes are consuming CPU and Memory resources in real time is difficult. And wouldn't it be necessary to add the Task Manager to the Window's "automatic start" list in order to see the activity generated by other automatically-started applications?

+ All of the applications known to impede the execution of DXLab applications are listed here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ApplicationInteference

+ In my (far too plentiful) experience, the culprit more than 90% of the time is an application or service automatically started by Windows when booted normally. Booting Windows into "safe mode with networking" immediately and reliably indicates whether one of these automatically started applications or services is responsible for slow startup or loss of functionality. And more than 90% of the time when that's the case, it's anti-malware that's the culprit.

Michael Adams

Dave --

One additional item for the "application interference" list is Elgato's Stream Deck utility when launched at startup.

I recently replaced a Logitech gaming keyboard (which required LCore to support the keyboard's extra macro keys), and added a Stream Deck as part of an overhaul of my office/shack gear.  Getting rid of LCore and its interference with DXK and SC were among my motivations, so I was disappointed to see that those applications still had painfully long start times after the change.

The next step in my office overhaul is replacing the computer itself, so I'm at the stage of inventorying which applications I want to bring over to the new machine, and making sure I have install files ready to go.  So...wanting SC/DXK to perform better, I took a couple of hours yesterday to go through all the processes in Task Manager, killing them one at a time (or disabling their launch at startup, and rebooting), to identify the culprit.

Stream Deck, when launched at startup, causes SC and DXK to take several minutes to start up, and seems to cause the applications to be painfully slow to close as well.   Curiously, if I launch Stream Deck manually after startup, SC and DXK open and close in an appropriately responsive manner.

[...]

+ Thanks, Michael! I've added your information above to " Applications that can Interfere with DXLab Applications" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ApplicationInteference

w1cfa@yahoo.com <w1cfa@...>

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your trying to help.  But for now, I've decided that I move on with QRZ.com as my manual logger and editor.  I hope to get back to DXKeeper at some point to see if the issue still occurs then.  So far, I've been able to manage my logs with QRZ.com, LotW and eQSL although I may need a more sophisticated logger like yours down the road.

73,
Andy, W1CFA

On Friday, January 15, 2021, 12:38:23 PM EST, w1cfa@... via groups.io <w1cfa@...> wrote:

[...]

As a follow up to this part of the thread, I configured ESET to consider Launcher to be SAFE. That dropped Launcher's startup time to a matter of seconds from over 1 minute (attributable to ESET scanning the application on startup).
73
---
Ted   WA3AER

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 3:58 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

Hi Ted,

Thank you.  That sounds encouraging.  Let me test it later.

73,
Andy, W1CFA

On Friday, January 22, 2021, 01:13:38 PM EST, Ted Bauer <thbauer@...> wrote:

[...]

+ The "issue" will continue to occur until you take the steps suggested in

https://groups.io/g/DXLab/message/199032

+ This is not a DXLab issue, it’s an issue with the anti-malware you have chosen to employ.

Michael Adams

Yes, I'm replying to an old thread...but I'll add this information for the benefit of those who may search for this information in the future.

Over the weekend, I put a new PC into service as my primary shack PC.  Spotcollector and DXKeeper are running MUCH MUCH better on the new PC.

The software installed/running on the new machine is pretty much the same as the old PC, although the new machine has the advantage of not having any residual "cap" from old+uninstalled or old versions of software.

I now suspect my SC performance issues on the old PC might have been partially addressed if I had done a complete system wipe/reinstall.  (The new machine does have a better processor and more RAM than the old machine...but the old machine handled SpotCollector FB when running in safe mode, so I don't think those upgrades provided the relief.)

I will also mention that I did have a change in antivirus/antimalware software when upgrading machines -- I was introduced to "Webroot", which advertises as a low-impact tool that gets very high marks by reviewers who consider the differences in how it operates.  On the old machine I had just used Windows Defender.   So far (knock wood), Webroot hasn't squawked about or noticeably interfered with amateur radio apps.

Yes, I'm replying to an old thread...but I'll add this information for the benefit of those who may search for this information in the future.

Over the weekend, I put a new PC into service as my primary shack PC. Spotcollector and DXKeeper are running MUCH MUCH better on the new PC.

The software installed/running on the new machine is pretty much the same as the old PC, although the new machine has the advantage of not having any residual "cap" from old+uninstalled or old versions of software.

I now suspect my SC performance issues on the old PC might have been partially addressed if I had done a complete system wipe/reinstall. (The new machine does have a better processor and more RAM than the old machine...but the old machine handled SpotCollector FB when running in safe mode, so I don't think those upgrades provided the relief.)

+ If performance was acceptable when Windows was booted into "Safe mode with networking", then one of the applications being automatically started by Windows when booted normally was responsible. Anti-malware is usually the culprit, but other applications can also cause trouble; see "Applications that can Interfere with DXLab Applications" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ApplicationInteference