Topics

How to best get started with DxLab

Saad Mahaini

Folks

I have been using a different logging software for decades, but now ready to move on to a different one.  I dont wish to name the other software, its a great program, but now outdated and severely lacks the support.

I started looking at DxLab and I'm amazed how impressive this suite is. Just blows my mind with all the features that it offers, not to mention the dedication and great support by the developer as well as others on this reflector. I'm really hooked and want to convert ASAP.

However, with such a complicated software, i imagine there is a steep learning curve involved.  I also have to admit that im intimidated by it, which im sure will grow on me as i get more familiar and comfortable with t all.

I'm seeking advise from people that have been in my shoes before on how to make the transition, do i convert my log and jump right in, do i run both in parallel to get my feet wet first before i convert my old log to DxLab, do i focus on one module of DxLab at a time, and if so what would be the right sequence.

73 Saad N5FF

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 10:26 AM, Saad Mahaini wrote:

[...]

+ Welcome to DXLab, Saad!

+ I suggest that you review these two articles to start:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStarted>

+ and

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SwitchingToDXKeeper>

+ Don't hesitate to post questions and concerns here.

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Saad,
Been there, done that, highly recommend DXLabSuites and approach it slowly. Follow Dave's advice, he is right nearly every time, and is a superb troubleshooter.

I was in exactly your position about 6 to 9 months ago. It took some slogging through stuff, but the quality of the  on-line help from Dave and others is exceptional. The docs are very well done and respond well to searches.

I started with DXCommander (rig control), and then went DXKeeper. It took some time to convert and dupe my logs, as I had 4 different active logs that I needed to output as *.adi files and then import to DXKeeper ...and then clean up all the broken QSOs (missing or faulty data record for a given qso).

The software is so clever at picking out issues and then Dave's recommended fixes finish the job when you get lost.

Go for it, you won't regret it. I have the full Suite running now, doing some exceptional things.

73, N0AN
Hasan

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 2:10 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

Andy - K0AF

Hello Saad,

I'm a new user myself and hardly qualified to give advice but I was in a similar position 2 months ago and can assure you it's well worth the effort. DXLabs looks intimidating at first but my suggestion is to open the GettingStarted link Dave provided, review the description of each application, and decide which application you would like to start with. Launcher starts the other applications so you probably want to run that first. I was primarily interested in logging and uploading QSO's to LotW so I started with the Launcher and DXKeeper.

Importing a log file and customizing the columns displayed in DXKeeper is straightforward. The applications have "Config" and "Help" buttons which provide comprehensive context sensitive help. That plus the outstanding support here make it easy to quickly scale the learning curve.

Welcome and 73

Andy K0AF

Richard Lawn

I’m new at setting things up as well and find it a bit intimidating. I’ve used many other logging and radio control applications over the years and find this one to be perhaps both the most comprehensive and challenging to get acquainted with. I got it set up at the home QTH, with some help, and am now trying to set it up at my vacation qth. I’ve have different radios here but that doesn’t really matter. I’m starting with Commander and have it working fine with 2 rigs - K3 and FT-847, BUT I’m having a little trouble getting it to work properly with SatPC32. I’m sure I’ll eventually get it and then move on to Keeper and Spotter. lm holing it will be worth it in the end.

73--
Rick, W2JAZ

I’m new at setting things up as well and find it a bit intimidating.

+ What did you find intimidating?

I’ve used many other logging and radio control applications over the years and find this one to be perhaps both the most comprehensive and challenging to get acquainted with. I got it set up at the home QTH, with some help, and am now trying to set it up at my vacation qth. I’ve have different radios here but that doesn’t really matter. I’m starting with Commander and have it working fine with 2 rigs - K3 and FT-847, BUT I’m having a little trouble getting it to work properly with SatPC32.

+ Step-by-step instructions for configuring interoperation with SatPC32 are here:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SatelliteTracking>