How does DXLAB, LOTW, and EQSL handle special short-term prefix usage ?

Joseph Willis

I have only ever used my regular callsign since I started using the above programs.  However, currently Canada is allowing a special prefix for the next 30 days to all who want to use them.

What is the impact of effectively changing your callsign in DXLAB ?  on LOTW ? on EQSL ?

I only want to have one version of my log, and keep all my awards totals and country counts together.

I know DXLAB has the "auxiliary" section, with Station, Op, and Owner calls, but I wonder what the overall consequences are of using each of them ?  And if I use one of them in DXLAB, what happens to the transfers I do to LOTW and EQSL ?

Is there a field I can use so my QSL card to someone reflects the special prefix ?  Or is it better to just make a note in DXLAB, and manually send out the different QSL card to avoid a lot of headaches ?

I have only ever used my regular callsign since I started using the above programs.  However, currently Canada is allowing a special prefix for the next 30 days to all who want to use them.

What is the impact of effectively changing your callsign in DXLAB ?  on LOTW ? on EQSL ?

I only want to have one version of my log, and keep all my awards totals and country counts together.

I know DXLAB has the "auxiliary" section, with Station, Op, and Owner calls, but I wonder what the overall consequences are of using each of them ?  And if I use one of them in DXLAB, what happens to the transfers I do to LOTW and EQSL ?

Is there a field I can use so my QSL card to someone reflects the special prefix ?  Or is it better to just make a note in DXLAB, and manually send out the different QSL card to avoid a lot of headaches ?

+ The answer to the question "what should I do if I change my primary callsign?" is here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/NewCallsign

+ Since you'll only be using your special prefix for a short time,

- skip step 1a

- in step 1b, only change the "Station callsign"

- in step 1.f.iii don't click on your special callsign's "Set Primary" button

- skip step 2

- skip step 3.b

- in step 4, change only the "Station callsign"

Joseph Willis

And then reverse it all when I go back ? ...................... thanks Dave.

On Tuesday, June 21, 2022, 12:22:29 p.m. EDT, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below
[...]

+ Exactly.

+ You could do that manually, or you could create and populate a Workspace with your current settings -- before you make the recommended changes. Then after you're done with your special callsign, you could restore that Workspace. See

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CreateUpdateWorkspace

Joseph Willis

It cannot be said enough times - Thank You Dave !

On Tuesday, June 21, 2022, 02:18:20 p.m. EDT, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below
And then reverse it all when I go back ? ...................... thanks Dave.

+ Exactly.

+ You could do that manually, or you could create and populate a Workspace with your current settings -- before you make the recommended changes. Then after you're done with your special callsign, you could restore that Workspace. See

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CreateUpdateWorkspace

Joe Subich, W4TV

Note: You will also need to ...

1) get a new certificate for the temporary callsign to upload QSOs with
that call to LotW
2) configure DXKeeper to use the new certificate for uploading those
QSOs to LotW
3) create a new eQSL account and "nickname" for the new callsign and
link them to your primary account
4) Configure DXKeeper to use the new account/nickname for uploading QSOs
to eQSL
5) restore the use of your old call/certificate for LotW when the 30 day
period is over
6) restore use of your old account for eQSL when the 30 day period is
over.

On 2022-06-21 12:22 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

Oh boy, if that's the case, it's not worth it, lol.   The more I think about this, the more I am deciding to just make comments in DXLAB, and manually fill in qsl's if someone wants one with the special prefix.  A "worked as" message.

On FT8, I can add a "worked as" message to the FT8 log entry.

On EQSL, I can just manually add the comment "worked special prefix etc etc".

On LOTW, there is no way to reflect a second, or special call sign.  If someone needs the card for the special prefix, I guess I would handle it manually.

On 2022-06-21 12:22 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
> + AA6YQ comments below
>

>> I have only ever used my regular callsign since I started using the above
>> programs.  However, currently Canada is allowing a special prefix for the
>> next 30 days to all who want to use them.
>>
>> What is the impact of effectively changing your callsign in DXLAB ?  on
>> LOTW ? on EQSL ?
>>
>> I only want to have one version of my log, and keep all my awards totals
>> and country counts together.
>>
>> I know DXLAB has the "auxiliary" section, with Station, Op, and Owner
>> calls, but I wonder what the overall consequences are of using each of
>> them ?  And if I use one of them in DXLAB, what happens to the transfers I
>> do to LOTW and EQSL ?
>>
>> Is there a field I can use so my QSL card to someone reflects the special
>> prefix ?  Or is it better to just make a note in DXLAB, and manually send
>> out the different QSL card to avoid a lot of headaches ?
>>

> + The answer to the question "what should I do if I change my primary callsign?" is here:
>
> https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/NewCallsign
>
> + Since you'll only be using your special prefix for a short time,
>
> - skip step 1a
>
> - in step 1b, only change the "Station callsign"
>
> - in step 1.f.iii don't click on your special callsign's "Set Primary" button
>
> - skip step 2
>
> - skip step 3.b
>
> - in step 4, change only the "Station callsign"
>
> 73,
>
> Dave, AA6YQ

dxradio33

Joe, I am in complete agreement with your decision.  😊

Oh boy, if that's the case, it's not worth it, lol.   The more I think about this, the more I am deciding to just make comments in DXLAB, and manually fill in qsl's if someone wants one with the special prefix.  A "worked as" message.

On FT8, I can add a "worked as" message to the FT8 log entry.

._,_._,_

Ken Bandy, KJ9B

It is really not too difficult. Takes a couple of minutes to set up an additional LoTW station location and a few minutes to set up an additional QTH, but to each his own.

73,
Ken, KJ9B

On 2022-06-21 12:22 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
> + AA6YQ comments below
>

>> I have only ever used my regular callsign since I started using the above
>> programs.  However, currently Canada is allowing a special prefix for the
>> next 30 days to all who want to use them.
>>
>> What is the impact of effectively changing your callsign in DXLAB ?  on
>> LOTW ? on EQSL ?
>>
>> I only want to have one version of my log, and keep all my awards totals
>> and country counts together.
>>
>> I know DXLAB has the "auxiliary" section, with Station, Op, and Owner
>> calls, but I wonder what the overall consequences are of using each of
>> them ?  And if I use one of them in DXLAB, what happens to the transfers I
>> do to LOTW and EQSL ?
>>
>> Is there a field I can use so my QSL card to someone reflects the special
>> prefix ?  Or is it better to just make a note in DXLAB, and manually send
>> out the different QSL card to avoid a lot of headaches ?
>>

> + The answer to the question "what should I do if I change my primary callsign?" is here:
>
> https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/NewCallsign
>
> + Since you'll only be using your special prefix for a short time,
>
> - skip step 1a
>
> - in step 1b, only change the "Station callsign"
>
> - in step 1.f.iii don't click on your special callsign's "Set Primary" button
>
> - skip step 2
>
> - skip step 3.b
>
> - in step 4, change only the "Station callsign"
>
> 73,
>
> Dave, AA6YQ

1) get a new certificate for the temporary callsign to upload QSOs with
that call to LotW
2) configure DXKeeper to use the new certificate for uploading those
QSOs to LotW
3) create a new eQSL account and "nickname" for the new callsign and
link them to your primary account
4) Configure DXKeeper to use the new account/nickname for uploading QSOs
to eQSL
5) restore the use of your old call/certificate for LotW when the 30 day
period is over
6) restore use of your old account for eQSL when the 30 day period is

+ Those are steps 1.d and 1.e in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/NewCallsign

+ I still haven't found any documentation on how the eQSL "nickname" mechanism actually works.

+ AA6YQ commens below

Oh boy, if that's the case, it's not worth it, lol.   The more I think about this, the more I am deciding to just make comments in DXLAB, and manually fill in qsl's if someone wants one with the special prefix.  A "worked as" message.

On FT8, I can add a "worked as" message to the FT8 log entry.

On EQSL, I can just manually add the comment "worked special prefix etc etc".

On LOTW, there is no way to reflect a second, or special call sign.  If someone needs the card for the special prefix, I guess I would handle it manually.
+ Request an LoTW Callsign Certificate for your special callsign, and use that Callsign Certificate when submitting QSOs made with your special callsign. If you don't do this, no one will receive LoTW confirmations for QSO made with you when you are using  your special callsign.