Help with Connecting DX Summit via the CQDX IRC channel

llibsch

Dave, Group -

I am unable to access DXSummit spots via the IRC channel. In the SpotCollector Configuration dialog Spot Source Tab, under IRC I have checked enable, auto and hide. In the box for Host Address I entered "US.WorldIRC.Org" In the boxes for Channel and Caption I have entered "CQDX" in both boxes. In the boxes for Uesername and First Name I have entered my callsign, "K4KGG" in both boxes. In the box for robot is entered "DXS" Disabling firewall protection temporarily does not change my inability to connect. The vendor emphatically claims port 6667 is not blocked. The CQDX Spot Box shows only "resolving host." It never shows "connecting" or "connected." What's wrong, please?

K4KGG, Larry

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 9:42 AM, Larry Libsch llibsch@...
[dxlab] <dxlab@...> wrote:

Dave, Group -

I am unable to access DXSummit spots via the IRC channel. In
the SpotCollector Configuration dialog Spot Source Tab, under IRC I have
checked enable, auto and hide. In the box for Host Address I entered
"US.WorldIRC.Org" In the boxes for Channel and Caption I have entered
"CQDX" in both boxes. In the boxes for Uesername and First Name I have
entered my callsign, "K4KGG" in both boxes. In the box for robot is
entered "DXS" Disabling firewall protection temporarily does not change
my inability to connect. The vendor emphatically claims port 6667 is not
blocked. The CQDX Spot Box shows only "resolving host." It never shows
"connecting" or "connected." What's wrong, please?
Hmm. What if you change the Host address to
"newark.nj.us.worldirc.org"? Failing that, try "97.107.134.249" ?

~iain / N6ML

llibsch

Iain -

Thanks for your reply. I was unsuccessful with both Host Address suggestions. The "97.107.134.249"
as  Host Address got a "connecting" message instead of a "resolving host" message, but it never does connect. I notice that the rollover of the robot box suggests DDS or DDX whereas the Online help " Interacting with CQDX IRC Channel" says spotting robot is normally DXS. Tried all 3 for both your two suggestions and the online help suggested Host Address without success.
                                                                                      73, K4KGG, Larry

Dave AA6YQ

AA6YQ comments below
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, February 10, 2016 6:48 PM
To: dxlab@...
Subject: Re: [dxlab] Help with Connecting DX Summit via the CQDX IRC channel

Thanks for your reply. I was unsuccessful with both Host Address suggestions. The "97.107.134.249"
as Host Address got a "connecting" message instead of a "resolving host" message, but it never does connect. I notice that the rollover of the robot box suggests DDS or DDX whereas the Online help " Interacting with CQDX IRC Channel" says spotting robot is normally DXS.

DXS is the correct robot.
Tried all 3 for both your two suggestions and the online help suggested Host Address without success.

Be sure to configure your Firewall and anti-malware apps to consider SpotCollector to be "safe".

Dave, AA6YQ

iain macdonnell - N6ML

Hi Larry,

It's really sounding like your ISP might be blocking IRC (or perhaps some malware protection that you have installed, or maybe your router). If your version of Windows includes a telnet client (Windows 10 doesn't, and I think 7 may not either), you could try "telnet us.worldirc.org 6667" in a Command Prompt window to see what happens....

~iain / N6ML

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 3:47 PM, llibsch@... [dxlab] <dxlab@...> wrote:

Iain -

as  Host Address got a "connecting" message instead of a "resolving host" message, but it never does connect. I notice that the rollover of the robot box suggests DDS or DDX whereas the Online help " Interacting with CQDX IRC Channel" says spotting robot is normally DXS. Tried all 3 for both your two suggestions and the online help suggested Host Address without success.
                                                                                      73, K4KGG, Larry

llibsch

Dave, Group -

Using "DXS" for the robot box did not permit connection with any of the Host Addresses I have tried.
     SpotCollector is on the "allow" list of programs. New versions are not blocked. The vendor is adamant that the port 6667 is not blocked.

K4KGG, Larry

llibsch

Iain -

My router is a Verizon smart phone hotspot. I am deed restricted. All my operation is portable from my club shack or from my motorhome using the smart phone hot spot. Were I home I could try my ATT Uverse router, but I am away from home.

My OS is WIN7. I entered your suggested command into the command prompt. The result was "Connecting to us.worldirc.org...Could not open connection to the host, on port 6667: Connect failed."

K4KGG, Larry

iain macdonnell - N6ML

This might be interesting...

~iain / N6ML

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 5:07 PM, llibsch@... [dxlab] <dxlab@...> wrote:

Iain -

My router is a Verizon smart phone hotspot. I am deed restricted. All my operation is portable from my club shack or from my motorhome using the smart phone hot spot. Were I home I could try my ATT Uverse router, but I am away from home.

My OS is WIN7. I entered your suggested command into the command prompt. The result was "Connecting to us.worldirc.org...Could not open connection to the host, on port 6667: Connect failed."

K4KGG, Larry

llibsch

Iain -

Bingo. It's the VZW blocking the port. I selected the campground's WiFi instead of my Verizon smart phone hotspot and CQDX opened immediately. What it means for me is that I won't have DX Summit spots via the CQDX IRC channel using my smartphone. That's most of the time because campground WiFi is usually poor signal, and the club shack has no internet service. But this could change.

Spots say CQDX. That's DX Summit, correct?

Many thanks for solving this puzzle.

K4KGG, Larry

Howard Waxman, WZ4K

Revisiting this topic - trying to connect to DXSummit - no joy. I have port forwarding enabled on my Verizon FIOS router and I using 176.9.102.150 on port 6667 in the Spot Sources tab for DXSummit (Also tried dxsummit.fi - no joy.

Can you telnet to DXSummit? If so, what are the correct settings? No guidance on the DXsummit site....Thank you, Howard

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below
Revisiting this topic - trying to connect to DXSummit - no joy. I have port forwarding enabled on my Verizon FIOS router and I using 176.9.102.150 on port 6667 in the Spot Sources tab for DXSummit (Also tried dxsummit.fi - no joy.

+ You've evidently misunderstood the instructions in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/spotcollector/Help/SourceConnection.htm#Connecting%20to%20the%20#CQDX%20IRC%20channel

+ The "Host Address" in the IRC panel on the Configuration window's "Spot Sources" tab should be set to US.WorldIRC.Org, not port 6667 on 176.9.102.150. As the instructions state,

"Make sure your firewall and anti-malware applications do not block TCP port 6667."

+ To check for interference, reboot Windows into "Safe mode with networking", start SpotCollector, and direct SpotCollector to connect to DX Summit. If it succeeds, then an application or service that Windows is configured to start automatically when booted normally is at fault; typically, this is misconfigured or incompetent anti-malware.

Dave, AA6YQ

Can you telnet to DXSummit? If so, what are the correct settings? No guidance on the DXsummit site....Thank you, Howard

Howard Waxman, WZ4K

Thank you Dave, Yes, I have that set and working under IRC - I did not realize that was DXSummit - I need to study the various clusters and connection channels to better understand those relationships. As always, your rapid replies are both unprecedented and appreciated by all.

73, Howard