Got the maybe new installation blues

Don Kerouac K9NR

I have DXLabs installed on one of the shack computers and loving it!

Consequently, I am trying to install it on another computer but having difficulties.

I downloaded Launcher and it runs OK.  However, all the launcher buttons are red,
indicating I believe that Launcher thinks they are all installed but when I click on the
"cmd" button (or any other app button) it reports that "Command.exe" does not exist.

This makes sense as I have not installed any of them.
Launcher/Config shows only Launcher is installed...nothing else.  Under the heading "action"
are "Upgrade" buttons.  When I push an Upgrade button, I get the message:
"can't Upgrade Commander  C:\DXLab 2012\Commander\CI-V Commander.exe does not exist; Upgrade aborted

I've overlooked something or am doing something wrong.
Any help would be appreciated.

I have DXLabs installed on one of the shack computers and loving it!

Consequently, I am trying to install it on another computer but having difficulties.

I downloaded Launcher and it runs OK.  However, all the launcher buttons are red,
indicating I believe that Launcher thinks they are all installed but when I click on the
"cmd" button (or any other app button) it reports that "Command.exe" does not exist.

This makes sense as I have not installed any of them.
Launcher/Config shows only Launcher is installed...nothing else.  Under the heading "action"
are "Upgrade" buttons.  When I push an Upgrade button, I get the message:
"can't Upgrade Commander  C:\DXLab 2012\Commander\CI-V Commander.exe does not exist; Upgrade aborted

I've overlooked something or am doing something wrong.
Any help would be appreciated.

+ That the Launcher's buttons for each DXLab application are colored red means that settings in the Windows Registry show those applications to be installed.

+ That the error message when you direct the Launcher to upgrade Commander references the folder

C:\DXLab 2012\Commander

+ implies that you installed DXLab applications on this computer back in 2012, but that the folder in which you installed them no longer exists.

+ In the Windows Control panel, please run the "uninstall an application" applet, and inspect the list of installed applications that it displays. Are any or your DXLab applications listed as installed?

Don Kerouac K9NR

Indeed!
In addition to the DXLabLauncher I just installed, there are...

DXLabLauncher
DXKeeper
DXView          all three installed on 7/29/2012

I tried to delete them in Control Panel/Programs and Features but they
all returned the error:  "Could not open logfile  C:\DXLab\Launcher\ST6UNST.Log" or
"Could not open logfile  C:\DXLab\DXKeeper\ST6UNST.Log",  etc.

Am I correct in guessing that before I can do a fresh install, these things
have to be removed.  I can't seem to find any references to them anywhere.
Is it a Registry issue?

Indeed!
In addition to the DXLabLauncher I just installed, there are...

DXLabLauncher
DXKeeper
DXView all three installed on 7/29/2012

I tried to delete them in Control Panel/Programs and Features but they all returned the error: "Could not open logfile C:\DXLab\Launcher\ST6UNST.Log" or "Could not open logfile C:\DXLab\DXKeeper\ST6UNST.Log", etc.

Am I correct in guessing that before I can do a fresh install, these things have to be removed. I can't seem to find any references to them anywhere.
Is it a Registry issue?

+ You have violated a fundamental rule of Windows: never delete an installed application until you've first directed Windows to uninstall it.

+ By deleting the folders into which you installed DXLab applications back on 2012, you have prevented Windows from uninstalling those applications because the files need to perform the uninstall operation are no longer present, e.g. ST6UNST.Log.

+ At this point, you have two choices:

1. backup every critical file and application installer, then re-install Windows, then re-install your applications, then install the DXLab Launcher, and then direct the Launcher to install your DXLab applications

or

2. Use a "Registry Cleaner" application to remove all vestiges every DXLab application, including the Launcher. Then install the Launcher, and direct the Launcher to install your DXLab applications.

+ I cannot recommend a "Registry Cleaner" application, as over the years there have been reports here of problems with each of them.

Dave, AA6YQ

Donald Weissgerber

Try using Revo Uninstaller  ,,, it does a very good job of picking up fragments of installed programs. It actually does a better job than the supplied uninsatller programs, and even if they are broken, it will still seek out and remove registry entries, folders and files. Use the most thorough scan option.