Topics

Gerochron 4K

Julio Peralta

Dave have you had a chance to see the Geochron 4K video world map? I wonder if there would be anyway to plot QSO info or maybe SC data from DXLabs on that map. Wouldn’t that be cool.

Julio, W4HY

Dave have you had a chance to see the Geochron 4K video world map? I wonder if there would be anyway to plot QSO info or maybe SC
data from DXLabs on that map. Wouldn't that be cool.

+ If someone has a computer capable of running DXLab, why would they spend $400 for a box that does less than what DXView, DX Atlas,
and Google Earth do?

w6de

Geochron 4K is a software package that will run on a Windows computer.  In order to read the fine details (City/place names) you will need a 4K TV or monitor exclusively dedicated to that software package.  Geochron says:

Does TV resolution (4k vs. 1080) matter?

Yes.  The Geochron Digital will automatically calibrate to any screen resolution, but it’s built for 4k.   There is a map option for 1080 resolution with larger fonts, but it omits most cities and states.  A 1080 screen is not detailed enough to show the information rich maps that we use at Geochron, but a 4k is.  If a 4k screen was an oil painting, a 1080 screen would be a water color.  A Geochron Digital digital displaying on a 1080 screen will maintain all the functionality of the features within a Geochron Digital, like the International Space Station.

While the 4K TV/monitor will display the noted detail.  You’ll need a 40 inch display to be able to read it and if you hang that monitor on a wall, you’ll have to get up from your desk chair and approach the screen to be able to read it.

Plotting spots on a Mercator projection map does not provide the situational awareness that plotting spots on an Equal Azimuth map provides you.  I’d recommend investigating VE2DNA, Alex Shovkoplyas’, DXAtlas for a good situational awareness map.  It already interfaces with DXLabs, it is already an option for use in DXView.  It is not free but at ~$30, it beats having to buy a monitor that you can’t place on your desk.

Dave, w6de

Dave have you had a chance to see the Geochron 4K video world map? I wonder if there would be anyway to plot QSO info or maybe SC data from DXLabs on that map. Wouldn’t that be cool.

Julio, W4HY

Buck

Right answer

k4ia, Buck
K3# 101
Honor Roll 8B DXCC
EasyWayHamBooks.com

On 8/26/2018 4:54 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
Dave have you had a chance to see the Geochron 4K video world map? I wonder if there would be anyway to plot QSO info or maybe SC
data from DXLabs on that map. Wouldn't that be cool.
+ If someone has a computer capable of running DXLab, why would they spend $400 for a box that does less than what DXView, DX Atlas,
and Google Earth do?

D. Scott MacKenzie

I happen to have a mechanical Geochron.  I bought mine at a flea market for $50.  A little clean up and it works fine.. You can find them out in the wild occasionally.  It makes for a nice conversation piece, but my PC has more accurate time.

Scott

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018, 22:55 Buck <RadioK4ia@...> wrote:
Right answer

k4ia, Buck
K3# 101
Honor Roll  8B DXCC
EasyWayHamBooks.com

On 8/26/2018 4:54 PM,  Dave AA6YQ wrote:
> + AA6YQ comments below
>
> Dave have you had a chance to see the Geochron 4K video world map? I wonder if there would be anyway to plot QSO info or maybe SC
> data from DXLabs on that map. Wouldn't that be cool.
>
> + If someone has a computer capable of running DXLab, why would they spend $400 for a box that does less than what DXView, DX Atlas,
> and Google Earth do?
>
>          73,
>
>               Dave, AA6YQ

Julio Peralta

Well I've always wanted to have a Geochron on the wall of my shack for me
it's a decorative item. I have a small TV in the shack and I can replace it
with the 43" 4K needed to display the Geochron 4K and have a bigger TV at
the same time.

I was just thinking if it were possible to display QSO info or SC data that
it would make a nice conversation piece for my wife who visits my shack
quite often or for other visitors.

I agree that the DXLab suite is much more functional for operating than
would be the Geochron 4K.

Julio, W4HY

Dave have you had a chance to see the Geochron 4K video world map? I wonder
if there would be anyway to plot QSO info or maybe SC
data from DXLabs on that map. Wouldn't that be cool.

+ If someone has a computer capable of running DXLab, why would they spend
$400 for a box that does less than what DXView, DX Atlas,
and Google Earth do?

Ken Bandy, KJ9B

While Dave has excellent points as to functionality, I agree with you,
Julio. I recently purchased a Geochron 4K for my shack/family room. I
consider it "useful eye candy".

FYI, I am using it on 40-ish inch 1080 display, because it's what I had in
the room. It functions nicely. I'm sure I'll notice a difference when it
comes time to replace the display with a 4K unit.

73,
Ken, KJ9B

Dave have you had a chance to see the Geochron 4K video world map? I wonder
if there would be anyway to plot QSO info or maybe SC
data from DXLabs on that map. Wouldn't that be cool.

+ If someone has a computer capable of running DXLab, why would they spend
$400 for a box that does less than what DXView, DX Atlas,
and Google Earth do?

W0MU

Sorry for the necro.........gaming reference to bring back an old post.

I just got one of these for myself for Xmas 2019.  They are closing out the current model and coming out with a new version which the folks at the radio store feel is inferior or cheaper.  I would love to be able to show dx spots too.  Yes I understand that there are better tools for Dxing or contesting but this is a decorator piece.  $299 right now at HRO while they still have them.  I found a 50 inch toshiba on Amazon for around $250 with Fire and all the apps etc.  I would love to find a mechanical one for 50 bucks!  They are really cool.

D. Scott MacKenzie

I actually got a mechanical one in good shape for $50 at a Habitat for Humanity sale – they had 2 but only needed one.  Now to convert to LED and a DX map…..

Sorry for the necro.........gaming reference to bring back an old post.

I just got one of these for myself for Xmas 2019.  They are closing out the current model and coming out with a new version which the folks at the radio store feel is inferior or cheaper.  I would love to be able to show dx spots too.  Yes I understand that there are better tools for Dxing or contesting but this is a decorator piece.  $299 right now at HRO while they still have them.  I found a 50 inch toshiba on Amazon for around $250 with Fire and all the apps etc.  I would love to find a mechanical one for 50 bucks!  They are really cool.

W0MU

The Geochron folks are working on an app that might be available soon what would allow users the ability to add in their own layers with API?

The Geochron folks are working on an app that might be available soon what would allow users the ability to add in their own layers with API?

+ I don't understand the question. Please try again.

73,

Dave. AA6YQ