Topics

FW: Windows 10

Bob Main

Had this sent to me from another ham and thought it might be of interest to those of you running Windows 10.

From: Office of the Under Secretary for Management [mgmt.under.secretary@...]
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 9:32 AM
Subject: IT Update: Critical Windows Vulnerability Patch Recommended

January 15, 2020

Dear Colleagues,

Yesterday, Microsoft announced a critical vulnerability in their Windows 10 operating system that can potentially be exploited to undermine trust across the system and other software. This flaw allows threat actors to bypass security tools by spoofing legitimate digital signatures. New vulnerabilities are continually emerging, but the best defense against attackers exploiting vulnerabilities is simple: keep software up to date. Timely patching is one of the most efficient and cost-effective steps an organization or an individual can take to minimize exposure to cybersecurity threats.

As a Department we are rapidly patching all affected Windows systems and recommend you do the same on your home windows-based computers using the Windows update feature. In Windows 10, Windows Update is found within Settings. To get there, select the Start menu, followed by the settings icon (picture of a “gear”) to the left. In there, choose Update & Security and then Windows Update on the left. Check for new Windows 10 updates by choosing Check for updates and follow the instructions on the screen. If not set already, we recommend you configure your home computers and other devices for automatic updates so that you never have to manually do it.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact your office’s IT help desk.

Sincerely,

Christopher C. Krebs

Director, Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency

R.D. Alles

Deputy Under Secretary for Management

neil_zampella

This was reported on the local TV news.    I suspect this vulnerability is also present in Win7, but M$ will not be releasing any fixes or security patches for it any longer.

IMHO ... anyone who just uses Windows Defender is letting the fox watch the hen house.    Having a third party firewall (if not a full security suite) should provide protection from any external accesses.   (just don't use Norton or McAfree .. LOL)

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 1/16/2020 12:27 PM, Bob Main wrote:

[...]

Markku SM5FLM

I have read the Windows Defender now a days is good as other anti-virus tools.

neil_zampella

You get what you pay for.     It actually causes more issues with ham radio applications as they have a small user base, and often the developers can't afford to get a M$ certification for the program.    That, on top of the recent news that Win10 (and probably Win 7 & 3) have security vulnerabilities that were never noticed, tends to make a third-party firewall a good investment.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 1/18/2020 8:33 AM, marsip@... wrote:
I have read the Windows Defender now a days is good as other anti-virus tools.

Gilbert Baron W0MN

Not true. No 3rd party thigs can catch everything. I assume you have heard of 0 day flaws. The only real answer is a good backup strategy and not click on  requests from UIC. Good idea to not run in Admin mode either.

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Hierro candente, batir de repente

44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

--

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Ed Ireland

Don't use McAfee.  I was running McAfee until one day it decided that DXKeeper was a virus and deleted it.  I called McAfee and asked how to recover it from quarantine and they said it was not quarantined, it had been deleted.  Of course I had the log file backed up but it was a pain to recover.  I removed McAfee and they gave me a refund.  I am depending on Windows Defender for now.

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 11:49 AM neil_zampella <neilz@...> wrote:

You get what you pay for.     It actually causes more issues with ham radio applications as they have a small user base, and often the developers can't afford to get a M$ certification for the program.    That, on top of the recent news that Win10 (and probably Win 7 & 3) have security vulnerabilities that were never noticed, tends to make a third-party firewall a good investment.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 1/18/2020 8:33 AM, marsip@... wrote:
I have read the Windows Defender now a days is good as other anti-virus tools.

neil_zampella

Note .. I said firewall ..  antivirus programs are a differetn issue.    I agree McAfee (and I also include Norton) are living on their past laurels.    I have been using AVG for years.  I have it set to notify me when it thinks it found something and >> I << then decide whether or not to delete it.  It also allows me to send the program to AVG to get it deep scanned, after which it reports back to me within 10 minutes on what its found.      It used to pause installation of programs, but not delete anything.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 1/18/2020 7:30 PM, Ed Ireland wrote:
[...]

Pete Smith

I have been very comfortable with Windows Defender for several years now, after quitting both McAfee and Norton in disgust.  Defender is particularly good at being non-destructive with unrecognized  downloads and giving you an easy option to say, "No, I know this one is all right."

73, Pete N4ZR

Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.