Topics

FT-857D frequency not read by Commander


Jeffrey Wolf
 

I run three radios with DXLab Commander, a K3, an IC-7300, and an FT-857D. The K3 and IC-7300 interface normally with Commander but I can't seem to get the FT-857D's frequency to be read by Commander. PTT works normally, so I know the porting is correct. Settings are as follows: COM3/9600/8/N/2. Everything is consistent between the General, MultiRadio, Port, and Radio 3 (for the 857D) setup screens. The kicker is that it did work recently at 4800 baud. It stopped working after I changed to 9600, so I went back to 4800 and now it won't read the frequency there, either. Anyone else seen this or found a solution for the problem?
--Jeff, K6JW


Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below
I run three radios with DXLab Commander, a K3, an IC-7300, and an FT-857D. The K3 and IC-7300 interface normally with Commander but I can't seem to get the FT-857D's frequency to be read by Commander. PTT works normally, so I know the porting is correct. Settings are as follows: COM3/9600/8/N/2. Everything is consistent between the General, MultiRadio, Port, and Radio 3 (for the 857D) setup screens. The kicker is that it did work recently at 4800 baud. It stopped working after I changed to 9600, so I went back to 4800 and now it won't read the frequency there, either. Anyone else seen this or found a solution for the problem?

+ You can review the required settings here

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/TranceiverControlYaesu>

+ but if it was working but then stopped working, I suggest checking for intermittent connections.

           73,

                  Dave, AA6YQ


Jeffrey Wolf
 

This morning I finally resolved the problem. The serial-t0-USB convertor cable had gone bad. I replaced it and the problem went away. I have experienced this previously with the make of cable I was using, although this one had functioned well for at least 15 years. The cable had not been touched since it last functioned properly a few days ago, so either the cable had a bad solder joint (it's a sealed unit, so I can't check it) or something died on the actual circuit board. Regardless, the replacement cable did restore the frequency readout and all is now well.
Thanks, Dave, for your response to my initial e-mail.


Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

This morning I finally resolved the problem. The serial-t0-USB convertor cable had gone bad. I replaced it and the problem went away. I have experienced this previously with the make of cable I was using, although this one had functioned well for at least 15 years. The cable had not been touched since it last functioned properly a few days ago, so either the cable had a bad solder joint (it's a sealed unit, so I can't check it) or something died on the actual circuit board. Regardless, the replacement cable did restore the frequency readout and all is now well.

+ I'm glad that you got it sorted, Jeffrey!

73,

Dave, AA6YQ