FT-857D / FM Satellites

pinoleronica

Gentlemen, good evening...I hope you're enjoying the summer days.

I have setup FT-857D for my soon trip to YN.   Commander is working fine together with SatPC32.   I have work a few of the "birds" (FM) already but with some difficulty.  Frequencies are automatically displayed on Command (Down and Uplink), split, mode, sat name, etc..  The radio, however, on RX flickers between the two VFOs almost too fast for me to correctly hear the call signs.  TX is no problem as I get replies back.

If I disable CAT ( - / + )  on SatPC32 then no flickering and can make smooth QSOs.  Then I activate again to catch up with doppler.  So I go in this way through the pass of the FM Sat.   I could make use of memories on the radio and avoid Commander but defeats the logging purpose.

Is there a way to make the flickering less active sort of a few seconds more?  Or is there a better way to do FM sat using FT-857D?

Satellite exhuberant,

Rafael / NN3RP

[...]

+ When you're using SatPC32, it controls your transceiver, not Commander. While a fellow satellite aficionado here may be able to help you, contacting the developer of SatPC32 may provide a faster resolution.

+ Safe travels to -- and good DX from -- YN!

pinoleronica

Thanks, Dave....Maybe someone has figured it out.   Meanwhile I can still use it though cumbersome.   Tomorrow I will play with memories for the FM satellites just like I will do it with a HT and without connection to any software and only use LotW login.

73s

--
Rafael / NN3RP

Jeffrey griffin

I never tried working sats with a computer controlled FT-857D but try changing the CAT tuning rate to a larger number, and set the speed to 1 in Satpc32's Cat tuning tab...

73 Jeff kb2m

On 7/7/2021 9:37 PM, pinoleronica wrote:
Thanks, Dave....Maybe someone has figured it out.   Meanwhile I can still use it though cumbersome.   Tomorrow I will play with memories for the FM satellites just like I will do it with a HT and without connection to any software and only use LotW login.

73s

--
Rafael / NN3RP

pinoleronica

Thanks for the hint, Jeff.   Actually, increasing the CAT Tuning rate to a larger number on SatPC32 makes the radio to take longer time before it flickers again....quite enough seconds to hear the other station calling you back (I have not tested it live yet). The Speed x 1 is the default.
Note:  Only working with FM Sats

Here are my numbers:

Interval
SSB/CW   FM/PKT
400           210

The displayed frequencies on SatPC32 and FT-857D are pretty close...maybe off by a  meager few hertz on the rig
--
Rafael / NN3RP

Jeffrey griffin

Hi Rafael, from the manual....

SatPC32 updates it's calculations internally once  per second. With previous program versions this speed  couldn't be changed. Beginning with version 12.8a the speed can be increased to the 5- or 10-fold. The change is only temporary, however. So,  the program will always start with the 1-second step.

I read this to mean the program does the Doppler calculations every second or 5x and 10x faster. Or every .2 or .1 second. As your running FM only I would try to make the uplink adjustment as frequent as possible and keep your transmissions short. As your running a half duplex radio the d/l won't update when your in TX.  To really fix this what most people do is run two radio's. You could also use the 857 for the uplink, and an SDR for the downlink. Years ago I was the first to use two FT-817's after Erich added the ability to run two radio's to his software....

73 Jeff kb2m

On 7/8/2021 7:34 PM, pinoleronica wrote:
Thanks for the hint, Jeff.   Actually, increasing the CAT Tuning rate to a larger number on SatPC32 makes the radio to take longer time before it flickers again....quite enough seconds to hear the other station calling you back (I have not tested it live yet). The Speed x 1 is the default.
Note:  Only working with FM Sats

Here are my numbers:

Interval
SSB/CW   FM/PKT
400           210

The displayed frequencies on SatPC32 and FT-857D are pretty close...maybe off by a  meager few hertz on the rig
--
Rafael / NN3RP

pinoleronica

Thanks again, Jeff.  I am running version 12.9 of SatPC32.   I have just made a few (3) Qs on RS-44, I thought that SSB Sats was not going to be possible using FT-857D.  Unfortunately, I only have one FT-857D in YN.

I think that I am all set despite the caveats.

--
Rafael / NN3RP