Topics

FT-1000D and NaP3 et al

Roger N1RJ

I decided to sell my Elecraft K3 and revert back to my FT-1000D. The K3 was
integrated very well with DX4Win, LP-Pan, NaP3, and CW Skimmer. The FT-1000
with it's limited CAT commands was more of a challenge. I asked Larry, N8LP,
if he could add the FT-1000 to the rigs in LPB2 but he said no. It was too
different from the other rigs to do easily. Hi did mention that there was a
way to get things working together using DXlab Commander. It was a rather
convoluted process using Commander, Com0Com and LP-Bridge. I regained about
90% of the functionality that I had with the K3.

I have a couple of questions though. Commander takes FT-1000 4800 baud input
on Com7 and translates it to K3 data at 38,400 baud on Com8. Is this correct?

I don't understand the necessity of Com0Com. It seems that all it does is change
the data from Com8 to Com13 for input to LP-Bridge. Why can't LP-Bridge connect
to Commander on Com8?

73, Roger N1RJ

g4wjs

On 16/09/2020 18:01, Roger N1RJ wrote:
I don't understand the necessity of Com0Com. It seems that all it does is change
the data from Com8 to Com13 for input to LP-Bridge. Why can't LP-Bridge connect
to Commander on Com8?

73, Roger N1RJ
Hi Roger,

both applications are expecting to talk to a serial device, not another application, the only way you can connect them back-to-back is to loop pair of serial devices. Com0Com emulates a pair of looped back serial devices, a virtual null modem cable.

Bill

G4WJS.

I decided to sell my Elecraft K3 and revert back to my FT-1000D. The K3 was integrated very well with DX4Win, LP-Pan, NaP3, and CW
Skimmer. The FT-1000 with it's limited CAT commands was more of a challenge. I asked Larry, N8LP, if he could add the FT-1000 to the
rigs in LPB2 but he said no. It was too different from the other rigs to do easily. Hi did mention that there was a way to get
things working together using DXlab Commander. It was a rather convoluted process using Commander, Com0Com and LP-Bridge. I regained
about 90% of the functionality that I had with the K3.

I have a couple of questions though. Commander takes FT-1000 4800 baud input on Com7 and translates it to K3 data at 38,400 baud on
Com8. Is this correct?

+ Without a connectivity diagram or description, I can only guess that you have Commander's Primary CAT port connected to your
FT-1000 using COM7, and Commander's Secondary Cat Port configured to use the Elecraft CAT protocol to communicate with LP-Bridge via
Com 8.

+ Several topologies are depicted in this article and the article it references:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SDRTopics>

I don't understand the necessity of Com0Com. It seems that all it does is change the data from Com8 to Com13 for input to LP-Bridge.
Why can't LP-Bridge connect to Commander on Com8?

+ Because LP-Bridge does not create a (virtual) serial port to which Commander's Secondary CAT port could be connected. For an
illustrated explanation, see

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ConnectedVirtualSerialPortPairs>

+ and pretend that the box labeled "BobCat" is LP-Bridge.