Topics

Fldigi-DXLabs Gateway and DIGU Mode Issue

Russ Ravella

HI Dave,
I am running a Flex 6700 with SDR 3.1.12 on a Win10 2004 computer. I have Fldigi running with DXL using Fldigi-DXLabs Gateway (FDG).  DXL, Fldigi and FDG are current and I have followed the instructions on the FDG website to connect DXL apps to FDG.  Everything works as expected except for one thing.  I have FDG set to relate "PSK/etal" modes to DIGIU.  When I switch to such a mode in Fldigi, Fldigi itself switches to DIGU as expected and although Commander does respond to the command, it selects USB for the radio instead of DIGU.  I can switch the radio to DIGU from commander manually and I can switch to CW or RTTY from Fldigi and both Fldigi and Commander choose the appropriate modes.  Only "PSK/etal" modes to DIGU doesn't respond as expected.  I've searched every setting I can find and the forum to no avail.  Could you please help ?
Thanks!
Russ KR6W

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

I am running a Flex 6700 with SDR 3.1.12 on a Win10 2004 computer. I have Fldigi running with DXL using Fldigi-DXLabs Gateway (FDG). DXL, Fldigi and FDG are current and I have followed the instructions on the FDG website to connect DXL apps to FDG. Everything works as expected except for one thing. I have FDG set to relate "PSK/etal" modes to DIGIU. When I switch to such a mode in Fldigi, Fldigi itself switches to DIGU as expected and although Commander does respond to the command, it selects USB for the radio instead of DIGU. I can switch the radio to DIGU from commander manually and I can switch to CW or RTTY from Fldigi and both Fldigi and Commander choose the appropriate modes. Only "PSK/etal" modes to DIGU doesn't respond as expected. I've searched every setting I can find and the forum to no avail. Could you please help ?

+ Russ, Rick N2AMG is the author of the Fldigi-DXLab Gateway. Rick, please give Russ a hand with the issue he reports above; if you need my help, don't hesitate to ask.

Dave, AA6YQ

Rick Ellison

Hi Russ..

I’m Rick N2AMG the author of the Fldigi Gateway..

Since I do not have a Flex I’m not sure about it working with Commander.. So if you set the Flex to DIGU. What mode does Commander switch to??

Also if you would turn Debug on in the gateway  and in Fldigi Switch thru the modes from CW to RTTY to PSK and Back to RTTY. I want the debug to show me what it is seeing along the way while those commands take place..

If it turns out to be a bug  There is not much I will be able to do I lost the ability to use the controls that I used when developing the original gateway. They will not load in my development computers. I have started re-writing the gateway from scratch and am about 60% done with it but have not had time I work on it’s development as I have been to busy with my business and the amount of work I have going  on.

When you complete switching between modes you can turn debug off and you will find a file called FlDxlDebugLog.txt send that to me as an attachment..

73 Rick N2AMG

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Russ Ravella via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2020 8:28 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: [DXLab] Fldigi-DXLabs Gateway and DIGU Mode Issue

HI Dave,
I am running a Flex 6700 with SDR 3.1.12 on a Win10 2004 computer. I have Fldigi running with DXL using Fldigi-DXLabs Gateway (FDG).  DXL, Fldigi and FDG are current and I have followed the instructions on the FDG website to connect DXL apps to FDG.  Everything works as expected except for one thing.  I have FDG set to relate "PSK/etal" modes to DIGIU.  When I switch to such a mode in Fldigi, Fldigi itself switches to DIGU as expected and although Commander does respond to the command, it selects USB for the radio instead of DIGU.  I can switch the radio to DIGU from commander manually and I can switch to CW or RTTY from Fldigi and both Fldigi and Commander choose the appropriate modes.  Only "PSK/etal" modes to DIGU doesn't respond as expected.  I've searched every setting I can find and the forum to no avail.  Could you please help ?
Thanks!
Russ KR6W

Virus-free. www.avast.com

Russ Ravella

Hi Rick !

First, thank you for responding to Dave’s request to help me. Second, thanks for this great piece of software. I won’t bore you with my story but discovering it has allowed me to set my station up the way I have wanted to from the beginning and except for the subject issue, seems to work perfectly. It’s pretty great !

Here are my responses:

1) "So if you set the Flex to DIGU. What mode does Commander switch to??"
>> Commander follows Flex generated mode changes exactly. Specifically, if I change from anything to DIGU, Commander changes to DIGU.

2) Attached is the requested debug file. After sending the request for support to Dave, I decided to try different settings in FDG for “PSK/etal”. I was pleased to discover if I set it to “DataU” (as opposed to “DIGU”), the Flex DOES go to “DIGU” when I select “PSK/etal” modes - so that might be a workaround. However, Fldigi itself does not show the correct radio mode in that case (in the drop-down directly below and to the left of its frequency display). It goes blank when I select those modes. I don’t know what the implications of that are ? However, that display does show the correct modes (including “DIGU”) if I select “DIGU” in FDG (rather than “DataU”). So it seems I can choose to have an error in the radio (which I have to remember to manually correct each time) or Fldigi (which I might be able to ignore?).

Besides telling you all of that FWIW, I needed to tell you that when I ran the test to produce the attached debug file I ran both those cases for you (turning debug on and off for each one). The first was with “DataU” set in FDG, the second with “DIGU” set in FDG.

I’m sorry to hear about losing the ability to launch your development environment. Yet another symptom of the microsoft pestilence infecting humanity no doubt. Please do complete the new version when you can though. Dave Bernstein seems to have a policy of not developing “over” folks who have provided expanded capabilities to DXLS so he’s unlikely to ever develop WinWarbler to cover anything beyond the basic modes which Fldigi does so well. So your program essentially adds giant functionality to DXLS instantly. That’s extremely valuable.

Ok, sorry that was so long - trying to walk the fence between providing everything you might need and TMI (too much information) !
Thanks again Rick,
Russ

On Oct 11, 2020, at 10:33 AM, Rick Ellison <rellison@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

Hi Russ..
I’m Rick N2AMG the author of the Fldigi Gateway..
Since I do not have a Flex I’m not sure about it working with Commander.. So if you set the Flex to DIGU. What mode does Commander switch to??
Also if you would turn Debug on in the gateway and in Fldigi Switch thru the modes from CW to RTTY to PSK and Back to RTTY. I want the debug to show me what it is seeing along the way while those commands take place..
If it turns out to be a bug There is not much I will be able to do I lost the ability to use the controls that I used when developing the original gateway. They will not load in my development computers. I have started re-writing the gateway from scratch and am about 60% done with it but have not had time I work on it’s development as I have been to busy with my business and the amount of work I have going on.
When you complete switching between modes you can turn debug off and you will find a file called FlDxlDebugLog.txt send that to me as an attachment..

73 Rick N2AMG

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Russ Ravella via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, October 10, 2020 8:28 PM
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: [DXLab] Fldigi-DXLabs Gateway and DIGU Mode Issue

HI Dave,
I am running a Flex 6700 with SDR 3.1.12 on a Win10 2004 computer. I have Fldigi running with DXL using Fldigi-DXLabs Gateway (FDG). DXL, Fldigi and FDG are current and I have followed the instructions on the FDG website to connect DXL apps to FDG. Everything works as expected except for one thing. I have FDG set to relate "PSK/etal" modes to DIGIU. When I switch to such a mode in Fldigi, Fldigi itself switches to DIGU as expected and although Commander does respond to the command, it selects USB for the radio instead of DIGU. I can switch the radio to DIGU from commander manually and I can switch to CW or RTTY from Fldigi and both Fldigi and Commander choose the appropriate modes. Only "PSK/etal" modes to DIGU doesn't respond as expected. I've searched every setting I can find and the forum to no avail. Could you please help ?
Thanks!
Russ KR6W

Virus-free. www.avast.com