Topics

First newbie question

George VA2EBI

Initial new user post.  I want to create a new archive log with my full DXbase log.  I created an ADIF file with all 127K QSO's.  The Getting Started instructions advise me to put my DXbase ADIF into the DXKeeper folder before importing.  But the program seems to want to import a .mdb database file instead of a .adi ADIF file.  I do have a W1EBI.mdb database file in my DXbase directory.  However, I see DXKeeper has already created a W1EBI.mdb file.  But I can't seem to get DXKeeper to import the ADIF file, which I created for the specific purpose of creating my archive log in DXKeeper.  What am I not understanding here?

George W1EBI/VA2EBI

Dave AA6YQ

* AA6YQ comments below

I want to create a new archive log with my full DXbase log. I created an ADIF file with all 127K QSO's.

* You exported this ADIF file from DXBase, correct?

The Getting Started instructions advise me to put my DXbase ADIF into the DXKeeper folder before importing.

* To which "Getting Started" instructions are you referring?

But the program seems to want to import a .mdb database file instead of a .adi ADIF file. I do have a W1EBI.mdb database file in my DXbase directory. However, I see DXKeeper has already created a W1EBI.mdb file. But I can't seem to get DXKeeper to import the ADIF file, which I created for the specific purpose of creating my archive log in DXKeeper. What am I not understanding here?

* The W1EBI.mdb file in DXKeeper's Databases folder is where DXKeeper will record the QSOs you log or import.

* To import an ADIF file, use the facilities on the Main window's "Import QSOs" tab, as described here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSOImport

* In step 3.b, set the "ADIF style options" panel to the version of DXBase you used to export the ADIF file you're about to import; this is necessary because ADIF files exported by DXBase do not comply with the ADIF specification.

* If you haven't already reviewed

"Switching to DXKeeper from Another Logging Application"

* I strongly suggest doing so:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SwitchingToDXKeeper

George VA2EBI

Dave--yes, the ADIF was exported from DXbase 2007.  The instructions I was referring to are "Getting Started with Logging" from the wiki.  I successfully imported a small test ADIF a couple of weeks ago, and then deleted it and now I am blocked and I don't understand why.  I went to the "Importing QSO's" section at your suggestion and followed each step until I got to par. 5.  Instead of the standard Windows file "ADIF Import", what I got was this window:  "the current QSO's invalid or missing essential items that must be corrected before another operation can be initiated."  Several blank fields are flashing red:  call--mode--begin--TX band--code.  But there are no current QSO's, I have not even pointed to the ADIF file I want to import into a new, blank log.

What's the problem here?

ND9G Mike

It sounds like you have a single QSO in there that is mostly blank.

When you're on the log page display, and those fields are blinking, is the Delete button greyed out, or available? if that is not a valid QSO for your log, you can likely safely delete it.

73,
Mike ND9G

On Wed, Jan 6, 2021 at 10:30 AM George W1EBI <w1ebi@...> wrote:
Dave--yes, the ADIF was exported from DXbase 2007.  The instructions I was referring to are "Getting Started with Logging" from the wiki.  I successfully imported a small test ADIF a couple of weeks ago, and then deleted it and now I am blocked and I don't understand why.  I went to the "Importing QSO's" section at your suggestion and followed each step until I got to par. 5.  Instead of the standard Windows file "ADIF Import", what I got was this window:  "the current QSO's invalid or missing essential items that must be corrected before another operation can be initiated."  Several blank fields are flashing red:  call--mode--begin--TX band--code.  But there are no current QSO's, I have not even pointed to the ADIF file I want to import into a new, blank log.

What's the problem here?

Joe Subich, W4TV

Instead of the standard Windows file "ADIF Import", what I got was this window: "the current QSO's invalid or missing essential items that must be corrected before another operation can be initiated." Several blank fields are flashing red: call--mode--begin--TX band--code. But there are no current QSO's, I have not even pointed to the ADIF file I want to import into a new, blank log.
There must be at least one QSO to trigger that behavior. Before you
start the import operation is there one or more lines of all blank
fields in the bottom half of DXkeeper's Log QSOs (Main) Display?

Each line in the Log QSOs display represents a QSO. Highlight the line
(click in the left column), then select Delete (you may need to select
Edit before you can delete depending on your settings). Once you have
deleted all blank QSOs, you can proceed to import the DXbase log.

On 2021-01-06 11:30 AM, George W1EBI wrote:
Dave--yes, the ADIF was exported from DXbase 2007.  The instructions I was referring to are "Getting Started with Logging" from the wiki.  I successfully imported a small test ADIF a couple of weeks ago, and then deleted it and now I am blocked and I don't understand why.  I went to the "Importing QSO's" section at your suggestion and followed each step until I got to par. 5.  Instead of the standard Windows file "ADIF Import", what I got was this window:  "the current QSO's invalid or missing essential items that must be corrected before another operation can be initiated."  Several blank fields are flashing red:  call--mode--begin--TX band--code.  But there are no current QSO's, I have not even pointed to the ADIF file I want to import into a new, blank log.
What's the problem here?

George VA2EBI

Joe, that was absolutely the fix!  There was a blank line that I thought was reasonable since there was no log, but i deleted it and I'm OK now--I think.  Thanks!

George VA2EBI (W1EBI)

Dave--yes, the ADIF was exported from DXbase 2007. The instructions I was referring to are "Getting Started with Logging" from the wiki. I successfully imported a small test ADIF a couple of weeks ago, and then deleted it and now I am blocked and I don't understand why. I went to the "Importing QSO's" section at your suggestion and followed each step until I got to par. 5. Instead of the standard Windows file "ADIF Import", what I got was this window: "the current QSO's invalid or missing essential items that must be corrected before another operation can be initiated." Several blank fields are flashing red: call--mode--begin--TX band--code. But there are no current QSO's, I have not even pointed to the ADIF file I want to import into a new, blank log.

What's the problem here?

+ The problem is that you have a fatally broken QSO in your log; you must either correct it, or delete it. DXKeeper is intentionally intolerant of such QSOs. See

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/LogIntegrity.htm>