Topics

Filter Band and Mode Confusion

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Call: VP8SJ
Filter: Band and Origin and Call=VP8PJ

Band Filter: All HF (and a few select others 6m)
Origin Filter: NA-E NA-M and NA-W

Why are spots from:
EA3AGQ
F4HAU
Showing up in the SpotCollector Table view?

73, N0AN
Hasan

Call: VP8SJ
Filter: Band and Origin and Call=VP8PJ

Band Filter: All HF (and a few select others 6m)

Origin Filter: NA-E NA-M and NA-W

Why are spots from:
EA3AGQ
F4HAU
Showing up in the SpotCollector Table view?

+ That view displays active DX stations, not spots. As you have it filtered, it will display any active DX station that's been spotted from NA-E, NA-M, or NA-W. The fact that a station spotted from NA-E, NA-M, or NA-W has also been spotted by EA3AGW or F4HAU does prevent that station's entry from being displayed.

+ Consider this scenario:

1. your next-door neighbor spots P5DX on 14005 CW with the comment "begging"

2. JA1NUT spots P5 on 14005 CW

+ Should the Spot Database Entry for P5CW be hidden because P5CW was last spotted by JA1NUT?

+ Using SpotCollector's ability to obtain a propagation forecast from PropView for each active station (or each needed active station, if you prefer) makes it possible to filter the Spot Database Display based on "probability of an opening"; this is generally a more reliable way to hide active stations that you are unlikely to be able to work; see

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SpotDatabasePropagationPrediction>

+ If you check the "Record individual spot information" box in the Controls panel on the Configuration window's "Spot Database" tab, then you can right-click a Spot Database Entry and select "Display Spots". A window will appear containing each spot of the Entry's station, in chronological order with the spotter's location indicated. This window is live, meaning new spots of the station will be appended in real time. This makes it easy to see the locations from which an active station are being spotted. The "spot notes" can also provide information useful in breaking a pileup, e.g. the last frequency worked or the pattern.

+ If you haven't yet reviewed

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CollectingSpots>

+ I suggest that you do so.

Hasan Schiers N0AN

Tnx Dave, very informative. Hard to get used to a new way of thinking.
I have gone to the PropView approach. Much more powerful

...and I have been searching/reading as much as I can, but the docs are so extensive that it takes quite a bit of study to absorb what is needed, even for the most elementary process.

One more question, but will put it into a separate message.
73, N0AN
Hasan

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 3:25 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

wb6bee

As another option, I can tell my really good friend Shin JA1NUT to quit spotting on 20 meters.

(just a joke)

Don
WB6BEE

Tnx Dave, very informative. Hard to get used to a new way of thinking.

+ Yes, it's a challenge for everyone coming to DXLab from another application.

I have gone to the PropView approach. Much more powerful

...and I have been searching/reading as much as I can, but the docs are so extensive that it takes quite a bit of study to absorb what is needed, even for the most elementary process.

+ Drinking from a fire hose is neither effective nor pleasant. I suggest a lazy scan of each application's reference documentation, ignoring all detail, but taking note of functionality that you might be interested in exploring. When your scan is complete, prioritize the list of functions-to-be-explored-later, select the highest priority function, and return to the reference documentation for details; also check for step-by-step instructions in "Getting Started with DXLab". When you're satisfied with the function, cross it off the list, reprioritize, and repeat the process.