Feature Request for Commander

Bruce - K5WBM

I would like to have the capability to send a command or command sequence to the radio on shutdown of Commander similar to the existing initial command.

Bruce McLain - K5WBM
bruce.mclain@...

I would like to have the capability to send a command or command sequence to the radio on shutdown of Commander similar to the existing initial command

+ There is no reliable way for Commander to verify that the "shutdown command" was conveyed to the radio before Commander terminates. If Commander terminates prematurely, the command might not be conveyed.

John P

Don't know what radio you have, but many of the newer ones can be turned off via CAT control. You could program a user defined button to send whatever sequence of commands followed by the shutdown command.
--
John P.
WA2FZW

Bruce - K5WBM

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have a button programmed in commander to shutdown the radio but I was looking for a backup way to execute a radio shutdown in case I forget to execute the commander button.  I am currently looking at running a bat file as part of windows shutdown.

Bruce - K5WBM

On Sep 20, 2022, at 8:02 PM, John P <j.m.price@...> wrote:

Don't know what radio you have, but many of the newer ones can be turned off via CAT control. You could program a user defined button to send whatever sequence of commands followed by the shutdown command.
--
John P.
WA2FZW

I have a button programmed in commander to shutdown the radio but I was looking for a backup way to execute a radio shutdown in case I forget to execute the commander button.  I am currently looking at running a bat file as part of windows shutdown.

+ That won't avoid the race condition between directing Windows to send X characters via a physical/virtual COM port and directing Windows to shut down. At 9600 baud, it takes 10 milliseconds to convey a 10-byte CAT command to a transceiver; Windows could terminate its serial port device drivers within 5 milliseconds of being instructed to shut down.

Bruce - K5WBM

That’s why 1st inquired about having Commander execute a script at shutdown.

Do you have a recommendation on the best way to automatically send a CAT command to the radio?  I’m trying to make sure my K4 is gracefully shutdown before power is pulled.

Bruce McLain - K5WBM
bruce.mclain@...

On Sep 24, 2022, at 2:02 PM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below
I have a button programmed in commander to shutdown the radio but I was looking for a backup way to execute a radio shutdown in case I forget to execute the commander button.  I am currently looking at running a bat file as part of windows shutdown.

+ That won't avoid the race condition between directing Windows to send X characters via a physical/virtual COM port and directing Windows to shut down. At 9600 baud, it takes 10 milliseconds to convey a 10-byte CAT command to a transceiver; Windows could terminate its serial port device drivers within 5 milliseconds of being instructed to shut down.

AA6YQ comments below
That’s why 1st inquired about having Commander execute a script at shutdown.
+ An "send command on shutdown" function in Commander would suffer from the same race condition.

Do you have a recommendation on the best way to automatically send a CAT command to the radio?  I’m trying to make sure my K4 is gracefully shutdown before power is pulled.
+ Unless Windows provides a "send all of these bytes via COM port X before shutting down" function, a reliable implementation is not possible unless Commander is made the initiator of the Windows shutdown - a step I'm not willing to take.