Farthest contact made

Paul Gerardi

Good evening,

Thanks for adding me to the group.

Is there way to get a quick snapshot or indication of the farthest contact made?

Thanks

Paul

KE4TP

Sent from Mail for Windows

Robie - AJ4F

Paul,

Welcome aboard.

DXKeeper's Details QSO Details contains a field  - dist.  My units are in Miles.  If your QSO partner supplied a Gridsquare the distance between your station location (gridsquare center) and his will appear there when you log a QSO.

You could filter your log on this field and have one measure of distance.

Robie AJ4F

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 8:41 PM Paul Gerardi <pgerardi1@...> wrote:

Good evening,

Thanks for adding me to the group.

Is there way to get a quick snapshot or indication of the farthest contact made?

Thanks

Paul

KE4TP

Sent from Mail for Windows

Earl Needham

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 8:04 PM Robie - AJ4F <ruler55@...> wrote:
<snip>
DXKeeper's Details QSO Details contains a field  - dist.  My units are in Miles.  If your QSO partner supplied a Gridsquare the distance between your station location (gridsquare center) and his will appear there when you log a QSO.

Mine are absolutely all blank.

I guess one day I'll get all these functions working.

Earl
KD5XB

Thanks for adding me to the group.

+ Welcome to DXLab, Paul!

Is there way to get a quick snapshot or indication of the farthest contact made?

+ If each of your logged QSOs has its DISTANCE item populated, then

1. on the Configuration window's Log tab, check the "Log Panels" panel's Details box; this will make the Details panel visible on the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab so that you can see the currently-selected QSO's distance

2. on the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab, click the "Adv" button above the Log Page Display; the "Advanced Sorts, Filters, and Modifiers" window will appear

3. in the "Advanced Sorts, Filters, and Modifiers" window's "User-defined Sorts" panel, type

DISTANCE desc

into the wide textbox with a 1 to its left, and then click the Select button to its right; you now have a "user-defined sort" in descending order of DISTANCE

4 in the Sort panel at the lower-left corner of the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab, click the User button to select your "user-defined sort"

+ The top-most entry in the Log Page Display has the longest distance, which is displayed in the Details panel above Log Page Display.

+ If you add a DISTANCE column to the Log Page Display, you'll be able to see the DISTANCE items of each QSO in the Log Page Display; see

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/LogPageDisplayConfiguration

+ To restore the Log Page Display's sort order to "chronological", click the Sort panel's UTC button.

+ If some or all of your logged QSOs do not specify a DISTANCE item, DXKeeper can compute them for you en masse; if you'd like to do this, let me know and I'll show you how.

Robie - AJ4F

Earl,

This info may help you understand why the entries are blank.

It also provides info on how to update those that are blank.

Robie AJ4F

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 9:11 PM Earl Needham <earl.kd5xb@...> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 8:04 PM Robie - AJ4F <ruler55@...> wrote:
<snip>
DXKeeper's Details QSO Details contains a field  - dist.  My units are in Miles.  If your QSO partner supplied a Gridsquare the distance between your station location (gridsquare center) and his will appear there when you log a QSO.

Mine are absolutely all blank.

I guess one day I'll get all these functions working.

Earl
KD5XB

DXKeeper's Details QSO Details contains a field - dist. My units are in Miles. If your QSO partner supplied a Gridsquare the distance between your station location (gridsquare center) and his will appear there when you log a QSO.

Mine are absolutely all blank.

+ When importing a QSO from an ADIF for tab-delimited file, DXKeeper will compute and populate the QSO's distance item if the QSO specifies

a. your QSO partner's location (GRIDSQUARE)

b. whether your antenna was pointing to the short path or long path (ANT_PATH)

c. your location, in the form of a MYQTHID that specifies a myQTH which in turn specifies a grid square or latitude and longitude

+ When you log a new QSO, DXKeeper will compute and populate the distance if the same 3 prerequisites above are satisfied.

+ If you haven't been recording an ANT_PATH and MYQTHID with each new QSO you log, then these new QSOs will not have their DISTANCE computed and populated.

+ See

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSODistance

+ DXKeeper's "Modify QSOs in Log Page Display" panel can populate an item of every QSO in the Log Page Display. This can be used to set each QSO's ANT_PATH to S (for "short path") and to specify a MYQTHID for each QSO; if you've operated from different locations at different times, you must first filter the Log Page Display by data range and then use the "Modify QSOs" panel to specify the MYQTHID for each QSO in that date range. Be sure to backup your log before using the "Modify QSOs" panel: Configuration window, Log tab, Backup button.

+ If you're using DXView to control a rotatable antenna, new QSOs will automatically record the correct ANT_PATH; if not, specify a default "Antenna Path" on the Configuration window's Defaults tab.

+ You can specify a default "myQTH ID" for each new QSO in the "Log Settings" panel on the Configuration window's Log tab.

I guess one day I'll get all these functions working.

+ The functions all work now, but they require your logged QSOs to contain the necessary data. DXKeeper provides the tools needed to get your logged QSOs into good shape, but doing so will require careful effort; the results are quite rewarding!

Earl Needham

Already found it, thanks Robie!

Having only ever had wire antennas, I never put in a direction that my antenna was pointed -- short path, long path, etc.

Earl

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 8:24 PM Robie - AJ4F <ruler55@...> wrote:
Earl,

This info may help you understand why the entries are blank.

It also provides info on how to update those that are blank.

Robie AJ4F

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 9:11 PM Earl Needham <earl.kd5xb@...> wrote:
On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 8:04 PM Robie - AJ4F <ruler55@...> wrote:
<snip>
DXKeeper's Details QSO Details contains a field  - dist.  My units are in Miles.  If your QSO partner supplied a Gridsquare the distance between your station location (gridsquare center) and his will appear there when you log a QSO.

Mine are absolutely all blank.

I guess one day I'll get all these functions working.

Earl
KD5XB

Earl Needham

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 8:37 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
<snip>
 I guess one day I'll get all these functions working.

+ The functions all work now, but they require your logged QSOs to contain the necessary data. DXKeeper provides the tools needed to get your logged QSOs into good shape, but doing so will require careful effort; the results are quite rewarding!

You're right, Dave.  I apologize, my choice of words was unfortunate and reflected badly on your product.  As usual, it's great, I just don't always know how to use it.

Earl

Having only ever had wire antennas, I never put in a direction that my antenna was pointed -- short path, long path, etc.

+ You can use the "Modify QSOs" panel to set ANT_PATH to S in all of your logged QSOs:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSOModifying

+ Don't skip step 1!

+ On the Configuration window's Defaults tab, set the "antenna path" to S so that all future logged QSOs will specify short path by default. If you make a QSO via the long path, you can change its antenna path accordingly.

# More AA6YQ comments below

+ AA6YQ comments below
<snip>

I guess one day I'll get all these functions working.

+ The functions all work now, but they require your logged QSOs to contain the necessary data. DXKeeper provides the tools needed to get your logged QSOs into good shape, but doing so will require careful effort; the results are quite rewarding!

You're right, Dave. I apologize, my choice of words was unfortunate and reflected badly on your product. As usual, it's great, I just don't always know how to use it.

# No apology necessary, I just don't want anyone here reaching erroneous conclusions about functions not working.

# DXLab applications provide some relatively unique functionality; reviewing the reference documentation and the task-oriented documentation for this functionality takes time, as discussed here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStarted

# All questions are welcome here, no matter how many times they've already been asked and answered, or how obvious the answers might be in the documentation.

Earl Needham

I HAD missed Step 11, but got the rest of it done by researching the WIKI.  Thanks again!

Earl

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 8:52 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Having only ever had wire antennas, I never put in a direction that my antenna was pointed -- short path, long path, etc.

+ You can use the "Modify QSOs" panel to set ANT_PATH to S in all of your logged QSOs:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSOModifying

+ Don't skip step 1!

+ On the Configuration window's Defaults tab, set the "antenna path" to S so that all future logged QSOs will specify short path by default. If you make a QSO via the long path, you can change its antenna path accordingly.

Carlo - IK2RPE

Yes, please, Dave

+ If some or all of your logged QSOs do not specify a DISTANCE item, DXKeeper can compute them for you en masse; if you'd like to do this, let me know and I'll show you how.

Carlo  IK2RPE

Paul Gerardi

Ok…I checked the Details box to make the Details panel visible and looks like DIST is blank even though logs have grid squares and lat/long info.

What am I doing wrong?

Does it need to recalculate or something else to check?

Thanks

Paul

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

+ Does the QSO in question specify an "Antenna Path" item?

+ Does the QSO specify a "my QTHID" that in turn specifies that latitude and longitude from which you made the QSO?

* more AA6YQ comments below

Yes, please, Dave

+ If some or all of your logged QSOs do not specify a DISTANCE item, DXKeeper can compute them for you en masse; if you'd like to do this, let me know and I'll show you how.

* See

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSODistance

* Be sure to backup your log before using the "Modify QSOs" panel.

Paul Gerardi

Sorry Dave

Just now getting to appling your suggestion.

I followed the instructions but am not seeing the Distance in the Details panel under Log QSO’s.

I went to ADVANCED SORTS, FILTERS AND MODIFIERS and under MODIFY QSO’S IN LOG PAGE DISPLAY, selected DISTANCE under ITEM NAME and typed <COMPUTE> in ITEM NEW VALUE, then clicked MOD.

Window popped up asking if I wanted to compute the distance of which I clicked YES.

Should I be seeing the distance displayed somewhere else?

Obviously, missing something.

Thanks

Paul

+ If some or all of your logged QSOs do not specify a DISTANCE item, DXKeeper can compute them for you en masse; if you'd like to do this, let me know and I'll show you how.

* See

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSODistance

* Be sure to backup your log before using the "Modify QSOs" panel.

Paul Gerardi

Ok…I think I missed this email.

“my QTHID” is blank.

Where do I set that; and can it be applied to all QSO’s in the log?

Thanks

Sent from Mail for Windows

Ok…I checked the Details box to make the Details panel visible and looks like DIST is blank even though logs have grid squares and lat/long info.

+ Does the QSO in question specify an "Antenna Path" item?

+ Does the QSO specify a "my QTHID" that in turn specifies that latitude and longitude from which you made the QSO?

Sorry Dave

Just now getting to appling your suggestion.

I followed the instructions but am not seeing the Distance in the Details panel under Log QSO’s.

I went to ADVANCED SORTS, FILTERS AND MODIFIERS and under MODIFY QSO’S IN LOG PAGE DISPLAY, selected DISTANCE under ITEM NAME and typed <COMPUTE> in ITEM NEW VALUE, then clicked MOD.

Window popped up asking if I wanted to compute the distance of which I clicked YES.

Should I be seeing the distance displayed somewhere else?

Obviously, missing something.

+ As described in the Article I cited

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSODistance

+ computing a QSO's distance requires that QSO to specify the following information:

- your location

- your QSO partner's location

- an indication of whether your signals took the short path or the long path to your QSO partner

+ If any one of these three items is missing from a QSO, the QSO's distance cannot be compugted.

Ok…I think I missed this email.

“my QTHID” is blank.

Where do I set that; and can it be applied to all QSO’s in the log?

+ See

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/MultipleQTHs.htm

+ If that doesn't get you going, please let me know.

Paul Gerardi

Thanks Dave.

So I was able to set myQTHID; updated all QSO’s in log to now show myQTHID.

Set my Antenna path to S.

Reran the Modify QSO’s in Log Page Display with Distance as Item Name and <COMPUTE> in Item new value

Looked back at DX Keeper, Log QSO’s tab, Details (QSO Partner) and dist (mi) is still blank.

QSO does have lat/long filled in.

What next?

Thanks

Sent from Mail for Windows