Topics

Exporting from DX4WIN to DXLab

Saad Mahaini

Hello Friends,

I've been getting my feet wet with DXLab over the last few months and got everything installed and working well now.

I have not yet moved my log, but i believe I'm ready for the final step and to make the move now

I read the instructions on importing the ADIF and i assume DX4WIN exporting the log to ADIF should be straight forward also

I have one log for Qs i made with two call signs and four different QTHs.  I also have another log with different call and QTH.

Anything i should be aware of before i start the process?

73 Saad N5FF

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ omments below:
I've been getting my feet wet with DXLab over the last few months and got everything installed and working well now.

I have not yet moved my log, but i believe I'm ready for the final step and to make the move now

I read the instructions on importing the ADIF and i assume DX4WIN exporting the log to ADIF should be straight forward also

I have one log for Qs i made with two call signs and four different QTHs.  I also have another log with different call and QTH.

Anything i should be aware of before i start the process?

+ QSOs made with different "station callsigns"  and/or from different locations within the same DXCC entity can be store in the same log, each with a "myQTHID" the referencing the "myQTH" from which is was made. That's because DXKeeper considers all QSOs within a log to count towards the same DXCC awards.

+ Review "Switching to DXKeeper from Another Logging Application" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/SwitchingToDXKeeper

+ noting in particular step 4.b.

+ An intermediate step you could take is to export your log from DX4Win into DXKeeper, setup each "myQTH", and update your logged QSOs (en masse) to reflect the correct "myQTHID" - while continuing to log QSOs in DX4WIN. Format the log page display to your taste, and try generating progress reports. When you're comfortable with that functionality, delete the QSO from your DXKeeper log, leaving the "myQTH" definitions in place. Export your logged QSOs from DX4WIN, import them into DXKeeper, and repeat the modifications en masse to make your logged QSOs reference the correct "myQTHIDs".

+ This approach does cause some work to be done twice, but better to familiarize yourself with more of DXKeeper before making the cut-over.

w6de

You might also find some helpful information from these two article in the DXLab Wiki:

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ManageMultipleQTHs

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/LotWMultipleCallsignsLocations

The DXLab WIKI has a lot of how-to-do-it articles.  You might bookmark the WIKI for future reference:

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/TitleIndex

Use the search box in the upper right corner.  Be imaginative with your searches, I found the above two articles by searching for à multiple ß

73,

Dave, w6de

I've been getting my feet wet with DXLab over the last few months and got everything installed and working well now.

I have not yet moved my log, but i believe I'm ready for the final step and to make the move now

I read the instructions on importing the ADIF and i assume DX4WIN exporting the log to ADIF should be straight forward also

I have one log for Qs i made with two call signs and four different QTHs.  I also have another log with different call and QTH.

Anything i should be aware of before i start the process?

73 Saad N5FF

Saad Mahaini

I have imported the log, and setup the myQTH , and so far everything checks out as far as total contries worked, bands modes, etc .

Also, got the commander interfaced to microham devices, controlling the radios, etc so that piece is all setup and working properly

I believe i'm now officially and successfully migrated, and slowly getting more familiar with the logging suite as well as the other suites

One discrepancy i noticed when i ran the DXCC progress report.  The totals are accurate, but the Honor roll list is not, for example the DXCC count is accurate at 336 but my honor roll total is 0.  Is that something that i should have flagged before importing the log, or something i need to configure in DXKeper afterwards

73 Saad N5FF

On Monday, February 8, 2021, 12:05:07 AM CST, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ omments below:
[...]

+ Are you referring to the "ARRL-verified Honor Roll Countries" section of the DXCC progress report? That section only counts QSOs that are marked as having been granted DXCC Award Credit. For a QSO confirmed via QSL card, that means its "QSL Rcvd" item is set to 'V'; for a QSO confirmed via LoTW, that means its "LoTW QSL Rcvd" item is set to 'V'.

+ If your QSOs have been granted DXCC Award credit but this wasn't indicated in the ADIF file you imported from DX4WIN, DXKeeper can update your logged QSOs to reflect DXCC Credits granted by downloading your DXCC Award Credit (HTML), and "scraping" it to extract the credits. This isn't a fully automatic process because of the data entry errors and shortcuts taken when ARRL staff enter data from submitted QSL cards. See "Managing DXCC Credits" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ManageDXCCCredits

Saad Mahaini

Thanks Dave

Yes The ARRL Verified Honor Roll Countries in the DXCC Progress Report.  this section in the report has no data, all zeros.

In DX4WIN, when i get a confirmation for a QSO (Card or LoTW), i set the flag to "C" as in Confirmed.  If its a confirmation for a new DXCC country, band or mode, after i submit to the ARRL for credit and it gets approved, i set the corresponding flag for that award (DXCC) to C as in Checked which means it has been checked and accepted by the ARRL.

Based on what i think you are explaining, DXLab should have used the DXCC "C" flag in the imported log for the DXCC Honor roll?  It seems that it did use it for the DXCC credit but not the Honor roll credit?

73 Saad N5FF

On Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 8:44:28 PM CST, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

[...]

+ AA6YQ comments belo
Yes The ARRL Verified Honor Roll Countries in the DXCC Progress Report.  this section in the report has no data, all zeros.

In DX4WIN, when i get a confirmation for a QSO (Card or LoTW), i set the flag to "C" as in Confirmed.  If its a confirmation for a new DXCC country, band or mode, after i submit to the ARRL for credit and it gets approved, i set the corresponding flag for that award (DXCC) to C as in Checked which means it has been checked and accepted by the ARRL.

Based on what i think you are explaining, DXLab should have used the DXCC "C" flag in the imported log for the DXCC Honor roll?

+ No. ADIF defines an CREDIT_GRANTED field to to indicated that DXCC award credit has been granted. See

http://adif.org.uk/311/ADIF_311.htm#QSO_Field_CREDIT_GRANTED

+ DXKeeper does have the ability to handle the non-compliant ADIF generated by some logging applications. If DX4WIN exports DXCC award credit in a non-compliant manner, I'm not aware of it, and thus did not equip DXKeeper handle it.

Saad Mahaini

Hi Dave,

Do you think my log export from DX4Win was done properly?  All those countries were tagged in DX4WIN as checked by ARRL, so not sure why its not showing for Honor Roll credit.

73 Saad N5FF

On Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 10:53:52 PM CST, Saad Mahaini via groups.io <n5ff@...> wrote:

[...]

+ AA6YQ comments below:
Do you think my log export from DX4Win was done properly?  All those countries were tagged in DX4WIN as checked by ARRL, so not sure why its not showing for Honor Roll credit
+ Just because a QSO was tagged in DX4WIN as "checked by the ARRL" doesn't mean that the ADIF file exported by DX4WIN includes that information. Please open the ADIF file that you exported from DX4WIN and imported into DXKeeper; does the field CREDIT_GRANTED appear in this file?

Saad Mahaini

Hi Dave

The exported DX4WIN ADIF File does not show the ARRL DXCC QSL Checked/confirmed field

I did download the file from the ARRL. According to the download verbiage on the site, its an ADIF file not HTML.    I can open it with the notepad and i see the listing of all QSO info that are credited

When i follow the guide for how to do this in DXlab and i download it via DXLab, i can see it downloading something and takes a little bit of time to do it, but then the download report shows 0 QSOs updated.  I assume the download is an update to the last download, so i dont expect i will be getting different results if i keep doing it.  The question , where do the credit go wen i did the first download with DXLab

Not sure i'm explaining this correctly

Also, not sure if the comments field got imported from the DX4WIN ADIF file, i can see them in the file but not sure where to find them in DXLab,

73 Saad N5FF

On Friday, March 5, 2021, 11:58:34 PM CST, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below:
Do you think my log export from DX4Win was done properly?  All those countries were tagged in DX4WIN as checked by ARRL, so not sure why its not showing for Honor Roll credit
+ Just because a QSO was tagged in DX4WIN as "checked by the ARRL" doesn't mean that the ADIF file exported by DX4WIN includes that information. Please open the ADIF file that you exported from DX4WIN and imported into DXKeeper; does the field CREDIT_GRANTED appear in this file?

+ AA6QY comments below

The exported DX4WIN ADIF File does not show the ARRL DXCC QSL Checked/confirmed field

I did download the file from the ARRL. According to the download verbiage on the site, its an ADIF file not HTML. I can open it with the notepad and i see the listing of all QSO info that are credited

When i follow the guide for how to do this in DXlab and i download it via DXLab, i can see it downloading something and takes a little bit of time to do it, but then the download report shows 0 QSOs updated.

I assume the download is an update to the last download, so i dont expect i will be getting different results if i keep doing it. The question , where do the credit go wen i did the first download with DXLab.

Not sure i'm explaining this correctly

+ I can't tell what you did from your description above.

+ DXKeeper's "Sync LoTW QSLs" function will update a logged QSO to reflect "DXCC Award Credit Granted" reported by LoTW, but

1. LoTW only reports DXCC credit granted to LoTW confirmations; report DXCC credit granted for QSL Cards

2. LoTW only reports DXCC credit granted after the date and time shown beneath the "Sync LoTW QSLs" button before you invoke it. The only way to use "Sync LoTW QSLs" to be informed of all DXCC credit granted to LoTW confirmations is to depress the CTRL key while clicking the "Sync LoTW QSLs" button, which directs LoTW to report the status of *all* LoTW confirmations, which can take a long time to download and process -- and again does not include DXCC credit granted to QSL card confirmations.

* To solve this problem, DXKeeper provides the ability to download your DXCC Award Credit Matrix from the ARRL in HTML format, extract all DXCC credits from this HTML (credits granted to QSL card confirmations and LoTW confirmations), and update your logged QSOs to reflect DXCC credit granted. This is described in "Managing DXCC Credits" in the Reference documentation:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/Progress.htm#Managing%20DXCC%20Credits

* and "Managing DXCC Credits" in the Task-oriented documentation:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ManageDXCCCredits

+ A few years after the DXKeeper's "DXCC Credit Manager" was developed, the ARRL added a DXCC Credit API that reports all DXCC award credits, not just those issued to LoTW confirmations. Using this API would eliminate the need for DXKeeper to download HTML and "scrape" DXCC credits from it, but would not otherwise improve the process described above. However, unlike the HTML in your Award Credit Matrix, the ARRL's DXCC Credit API does not indicate whether a DXCC credit was issued to a QSO's QSL card confirmation or its LoTW confirmation. Thus for a QSO confirmed by both QSL card confirmation and LoTW confirmation, DXKeeper's Credit Manager's AutoLink function would not know whether to set the QSO's "QSL Rcvd" or its "LoTW QSL Rcvd" item to 'V'. For this reason, I have not replaced the Award Credit Matrix download and HTML scraping logic in DXKeeper's Credit Manager with the use of the ARRL's DXCC Credit API, as doing so would be a regression in current functionality.

Also, not sure if the comments field got imported from the DX4WIN ADIF file, i can see them in the file but not sure where to find them in DXLab.

+ Information obtained from the COMMENT and NOTES fields of an imported ADIF record in placed in the resulting QSO's COMMENT item, which is accessible via the Details panel on the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab. To make the Details panel visible, check the Details box in the "Log Panels" panel on the Configuration window's Log tab.

+ A screen shot showing DXKeeper's Main window with all panels visible is here:

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/All_Panels.jpg

+ There's a "Display panels in two columns" option for ops who prefer a more horizontal orientation.

+ A description of each of the 119 items recorded with each QSO, and its panel on the Main window's "Log QSOs" tab is provided here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/Items.htm

Saad Mahaini

Hi Dave and thanks for your patience keeping up with all my questions

I have followed the directions in the documents you referred me to, both times

I confirm that my LotW account is linked to the DXCC Account
I have identified the correct DXCC account number and entered in DXLab
I have the LotW log-in info setup in DXLab
When i use the download button in the bottom of the DXCC Credit granted window in DXlab, it takes some time and shows download activities, but the download report will then show zero

Not sure what im doing wrong

Someone on the DX4WIN reflector offered the following

===========
What software (DXLAB, ACLOG,etc) are you wanting to import this ADIF file into?

Does that program update the fields you are wanting to import from DX4WIN?

If it does, can you send me some records with the fields in question filled in (so I can see how they are filled in)?
Or, if it's easier, send the whole ADIF file.

Once I know the syntax and values, I can see if I can export the data from DX4WIN.

============

What ADIF format / label does DXlab requires for the DXCC credit ?

Also, since i already imported the DX4WIN log and already logged new QSOs on DXLab, assigned myQTH ID, etc will i need to redo all this or will it be possible to just update the DXCC credit fields with the new ADIF file?

73 Saad N5FF

On Monday, March 8, 2021, 03:46:12 PM CST, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6QY comments below

[...]

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-03-14 9:39 AM, Saad Mahaini via groups.io wrote:

What ADIF format / label does DXlab requires for the DXCC credit ?
DXKeeper keeps track of DXCC credit in two fields:
if credit has been granted for a card: <QSL_RCVD:1>V (verified)
if credit has been granted via LotW: <LotW_QSL_RDCV:1>V (verified)

DXKeeper can also import DXCC credit information if it is present in
an ADIF <CREDIT_GRANTED:##> tag. For example:
<CREDIT_GRANTED:39>DXCC:card,DXCC_BAND:card,DXCC_MODE:card
<CREDIT_GRANTED:39>DXCC:lotw,DXCC_BAND:lotw,DXCC_MODE:lotw

The <CREDIT_GRANTED:##> tag is the appropriate method for an
application to export credit information for the awards enumerated
here: http://adif.org/311/ADIF_311.htm#Credit_Enumeration

On 2021-03-14 9:39 AM, Saad Mahaini via groups.io wrote:
[...]

+ So that I can see what's going on, please do the following:

1. on the Configuration window's General tab, check the "Log debugging info" box

2. in the DXCC Credit Manager window, click the Download button

3. on the Configuration window's General tab, uncheck the "Log debugging info" box

3. attach the errorlog.txt file from your DXKeeper folder to an email message, and send the message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

Someone on the DX4WIN reflector offered the following

What software (DXLAB, ACLOG,etc) are you wanting to import this ADIF file into?

Does that program update the fields you are wanting to import from DX4WIN?

If it does, can you send me some records with the fields in question filled in (so I can see how they are filled in)?
Or, if it's easier, send the whole ADIF file.

Once I know the syntax and values, I can see if I can export the data from DX4WIN.
+ As Joe W4TV has pointed out, the requested information is provided in the ADIF specification, for which he has provided the relevant URL.

Also, since i already imported the DX4WIN log and already logged new QSOs on DXLab, assigned myQTH ID, etc will i need to redo all this or will it be possible to just update the DXCC credit fields with the new ADIF file?

+ Yes, if "someone" succeeds in updating DX4WIN to export DXCC Credit information in an ADIF-compliant manner, and if you decide that you'd rather import the resulting ADIF file than update your current log with downloaded DXCC credits.