Topics

error while downloading Path/File access error; Upgrade aborted

Jerome Sodus

Hello,

Today, for the first time ever, I saw this error when doing DXLab upgrades.

The complete "Upgrade Status" window has this wording...
"       downloading
C:\HamRadio\DXLab\Launcher\Downloads\Commander1458Update.exe"

Also, MS gives me notifications for the several upgrades (Commander, DXView, etc) I attempted...
"Unauthorized changes blocked;
Controlled folder access blocked DXLauncher..."

But, a day or two ago, I did attempt a new operation for me.
I tried the steps to tell MS-Security (Win10-64-bit) that Commander is safe.
Perhaps I did not fumble/bumble my way thru that properly and caused my own problem.

Additionally, I cannot update the databases.
The screen there "DXView" has error message "unable to open DXCC Database:"

As an after thought, should have I done a "set a recover point" before doing these changes?
Would that have undone that work?
I have not ever done that sort of operation.

TIA for any help.
BTW, I'm in the process of putting together my equipment after going thru a home downsizing.

73 jerry km3k

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/commander/Commander1458Update.exe
C:\HamRadio\DXLab\Launcher\Downloads\Commander1458Update.exe"

Also, MS gives me notifications for the several upgrades (Commander, DXView, etc) I attempted...
"Unauthorized changes blocked;
Controlled folder access blocked DXLauncher..."

But, a day or two ago, I did attempt a new operation for me.
I tried the steps to tell MS-Security (Win10-64-bit) that Commander is safe.
Perhaps I did not fumble/bumble my way thru that properly and caused my own problem.

Additionally, I cannot update the databases.
The screen there "DXView" has error message "unable to open DXCC Database:"

As an after thought, should have I done a "set a recover point" before doing these changes?
Would that have undone that work?
I have not ever done that sort of operation.

+ Please reboot Windows into "Safe Mode with Networking", and then direct the Launcher to upgrade Commander. Does it succeed?

+ If so, then an application that Windows automatically starts when booted normally is responsible; the culprit is almost always an anti-malware application. See

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ApplicationInteference>

Jerome Sodus

Edited

Dave, to answer your first question, No.
There was an error message "DXLab Launcher 2.1.1 can't access dxlabsuite.com".
That made no sense because I knew I had Launcher as allowed app (probably not using the proper terminology but I'm in unfamiliar territory here).
But there is some good news; Launcher updated, now works and I could update all seven apps.
This happened by my removing Launcher.exe from the "allowed apps" and then putting it back in again.
In regular mode, I can change frequency on the Yaesu and see the change in Commander.

Next problem is updating the databases.
Error message for that is "unable to open DXCC database".
Also seeing a MS-notification "Unauthorized change blocked; Controlled folder access blocked DXView.exe from making changes."
73 jerry km3k

To answer your first question, No; there was an error message "DXLab Launcher 2.1.1 can't access dxlabsuite.com".
That made no sense because I knew I had Launcher as allowed app (probably not using the proper terminology but I'm in unfamiliar territory here).
But there is some good news; Launcher now works and updated all seven apps.
This happened by my removing Launcher.exe from the "allowed apps" and then putting it back in again.
In regular mode, I can change frequency on the Yaesu and see the change in Commander.

Next problem is updating the databases.
Error message for that is "unable to open DXCC database".
Also seeing a MS-notification "Unauthorized change blocked; Controlled folder access blocked DXView.exe from making changes."

+ Into what folder did you install your DXLab applications?

Jerome Sodus

Path is C:HamRadio/DXLabs and there is then a separate folder for each app (that means eight folders in the folder 'DXLabs'.
Here is the thing.
I did accomplish the database updates...all of them.
But I may have been the cause of the problem by trying to work too fast.
The second time thru, I realized I was being directed to make sure an app was shut-off; not sure if it was DXK or DXV.
Anyway, all seems to be ok now; everything is "latest-up-to-datest".
Commander and Yaesu are talking to each other.
Next step is to get FT8 working.
Thank you for working with me on this; much appreciated.
73 jerry km3k

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 09:31 PM, Jerome Sodus wrote:

Path is C:HamRadio/DXLabs and there is then a separate folder for each app (that means eight folders in the folder 'DXLabs'.
Here is the thing.
I did accomplish the database updates...all of them.
But I may have been the cause of the problem by trying to work too fast.
The second time thru, I realized I was being directed to make sure an app was shut-off; not sure if it was DXK or DXV.
Anyway, all seems to be ok now; everything is "latest-up-to-datest".
Commander and Yaesu are talking to each other.
Next step is to get FT8 working.
Thank you for working with me on this; much appreciated

+ That path is just fine.

+ You are correct, you can't install a new DXCC database is DXKeeper or DXView or SpotCollector are running.