Topics

Enhancement request

David Reed

I really enjoy my digital Geochron display; I wish I could display DXView’s map function on it, showing spots on it…

I realize not so many hams own one of them so it might be too obscure a request, but I am hoping it can’t hurt to put the idea out there…

if you could add a layer of path to DX (long and short) it would be even better…

Just dreaming here…

Thanks for listening, and please chime in if you would like to see that too (not holding my breath and turning blue…)

73 de W5SV - David F. Reed

I really enjoy my digital Geochron display; I wish I could display DXView’s map function on it, showing spots on it…

I realize not so many hams own one of them so it might be too obscure a request

+ The word you're looking for is "idiosyncratic".

I really enjoy my digital Geochron display; I wish I could display DXView’s map function on it, showing spots on it…

I realize not so many hams own one of them so it might be too obscure a request, but I am hoping it can’t hurt to put the idea out there…

if you could add a layer of path to DX (long and short) it would be even better…

Just dreaming here…

Thanks for listening, and please chime in if you would like to see that too (not holding my breath and turning blue…)

+ The Geochron does not accept external information to be displayed.

+ For $30, purchase a copy of DX Atlas and configure DXView to use it as its world map. Display it on a dedicated 4K monitor, if you like.

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ActiveDXPlottingDXAtlas>

Gilbert Baron W0MN

Idiosyncratic

We enhance our vocabulary in this reflector along with our radio knowledge. 😊

Outlook Laptop Gil W0MN

Hierro candente, batir de repente

44.08226N 92.51265W EN34rb

I really enjoy my digital Geochron display; I wish I could display DXView’s map function on it, showing spots on it…

I realize not so many hams own one of them so it might be too obscure a request

+ The word you're looking for is "idiosyncratic".

W0MN EN34rb 44.08226 N 92.51265 W

Hierro candente, batir de repente

HP Laptop

Jeff Schwartz

Hi David,
I have a Geochron and love it as a beautiful map display. It's particularly nice for Satellite work with it's satellite live layer to keep track of the satellites of your choosing real time. When I see something juicy about to come into view I can easily switch to my SATPC 32 DX Labs workspace and away I go.

As for DX spots, you should check out their web page and under the Digital 4K tab click on the API Access tab. They describe several new layer requests which includes DX spotting and Propagation. They have a statement that I pulled off this section: "We don’t have a lot of money, but contact us to discuss if you know how to do these… can we compensate you with an Atlas or two?"  In addition to DX spotting there are numerous other requests. I suspect as time goes on the clock display will only get better and better.

In the meantime DX Atlas is a wonderful interactive map for DX labs who's functionality will likely never be surpassed by Geochron as it relates to active on the fly hamming needs.

Jeff / KI0KB

I have a Geochron and love it as a beautiful map display. It's particularly nice for Satellite work with it's satellite live layer to keep track of the satellites of your choosing real time. When I see something juicy about to come into view I can easily switch to my SATPC 32 DX Labs workspace and away I go.

+ Both DX Atlas and Google Earth will show you when "something juicy is about to come into view"; DXView interoperates with each of them.

As for DX spots, you should check out their web page and under the Digital 4K tab click on the API Access tab. They describe several new layer requests which includes DX spotting and Propagation. They have a statement that I pulled off this section: "We don’t have a lot of money, but contact us <https://www.geochron.com/about/contact/> to discuss if you know how to do these… can we compensate you with an Atlas or two?" In addition to DX spotting there are numerous other requests. I suspect as time goes on the clock display will only get better and better.

+ Translation: there is no Geochron API.

In the meantime DX Atlas is a wonderful interactive map for DX labs who's functionality will likely never be surpassed by Geochron as it relates to active on the fly hamming needs.

+ Since you are familiar with both of them, from the perspective of a DXer, what is it that Geochron does that DX Atlas doesn't do?

Jeff Schwartz

Absolutely nothing Dave other than being a beautiful 4K clock map that I have on in my shack whether or not I am hamming. It has a constant representation of the gray line and I also have the world wide weather/rain layer on to see who's getting dumped on and who isn't. As mentioned I have the satellite layer on and will occasionally fire up DX labs, if not on already, or switch workspaces if a satellite is coming by I'd like to try, otherwise I get all that information from DX Labs / SATPC 32 / DX Atlas during hamming sessions.  So, for me as a Dx'er I have a constant visual reminder of where the gray line is when DX Atlas isn't open and can easily look to see what time it is in any particular country... other than that it's a clock and does nothing for a DX'er that DX Atlas doesn't already do other than be available whether or not my computer is on... kind of like a wrist watch.. Hi Hi

Jeff / KI0KB

[...]

+ Thanks!

+ So if you were willing to keep your PC running 24x7, you could connect it to that 4K monitor and save the $450 for the Geochron controller, correct?

Jeff Schwartz

Exactly!