Topics

Empty DXLab directory

Andy - K0AF

I have an empty "DXLab" directory in my "Documents" directory. I can delete the "DXLab" directory but it is re-created every time I run DXLab Launcher. DXLab Launcher and the 5 applications I use all run fine. What is the purpose of this directory and can I specify it to be elsewhere? The location of the "DXLab" directory may have been a choice I made when I installed DXLab about 9 months ago but I haven't found any mention of it in the installation instructions or Launcher help file.

Thanks!

Andy - K0AF

Norm - KC1BMD

I see the same folder and when I installed the DXLab suite, I chose the offered default installation folder. I figured it was created (as a courtesy) to store documentation and such related files.
--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

Joe Subich, W4TV

It is the storage location for WinWarbler's Audio Recording feature.

You can define the directory in WinWarbler -> Config -> General.
Click the Audio Recording button (QSO Audio folder).

On 2021-02-17 11:41 AM, Andy - K0AF wrote:
I have an empty "DXLab" directory in my "Documents" directory. I can delete the "DXLab" directory but it is re-created every time I run DXLab Launcher. DXLab Launcher and the 5 applications I use all run fine. What is the purpose of this directory and can I specify it to be elsewhere? The location of the "DXLab" directory may have been a choice I made when I installed DXLab about 9 months ago but I haven't found any mention of it in the installation instructions or Launcher help file.
Thanks!
Andy - K0AF

Andy - K0AF

Thanks Joe! I will change that default. I've never used the WinWarbler Audio Recording feature and the name of the folder (DXLabs) wasn't much of a clue as to what its purpose was or where to go to change it. Thanks for the explanation.

This group is a wealth of information. Thanks to all who respond with patience to newbie questions and minor issues like this one.

73
Andy - K0AF

Scott Stembaugh

QSO Audio Recording isn't limited to WinWarbler.  You will need to change it at DXKeeper > Config > Audio Recording Config (bottom line of panel) as well.  I do not know if this change carries over to/from WinWarbler's configuration.

73,
--scott N9LJX

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 3:07 PM Andy - K0AF <folkjunk0@...> wrote:
Thanks Joe! I will change that default. I've never used the WinWarbler Audio Recording feature and the name of the folder (DXLabs) wasn't much of a clue as to what its purpose was or where to go to change it. Thanks for the explanation.

This group is a wealth of information. Thanks to all who respond with patience to newbie questions and minor issues like this one.

73
Andy - K0AF

Andy - K0AF

Thanks for that info Scott. After changing the location of the audio recording directory in WinWarbler I found the DXLab folder was still being created every time I ran DXLab Launcher. I checked DXKeeper>Config>General>Audio Recording Config and you are correct, I needed to update the path there as well.

After changing the path in both WinWarbler and DXKeeper, the empty "DXLab" directory is still being created in my Documents folder! I started each of the DXLab applications one at a time and found it's DXKeeper that insists on creating the empty directory. I don't see any other setting in DXKeeper>Config that might cause the folder to be created and everything seems to be working so I'll just ignore it.

Thanks!

Andy - K0AF

Thanks for that info Scott. After changing the location of the audio recording directory in WinWarbler I found the DXLab folder was still being created every time I ran DXLab Launcher. I checked DXKeeper>Config>General>Audio Recording Config and you are correct, I needed to update the path there as well.

After changing the path in both WinWarbler and DXKeeper, the empty "DXLab" directory is still being created in my Documents folder! I started each of the DXLab applications one at a time and found it's DXKeeper that insists on creating the empty directory. I don't see any other setting in DXKeeper>Config that might cause the folder to be created and everything seems to be working so I'll just ignore it.

+ Both DXKeeper and WinWarbler will create a "QSO Audio" folder on startup if one doesn't already exist. That's so that any difficulty in creating the folder can be immediately resolved, rather than waiting until the point in time where you decide to record an important QSO you're making or about to make.

Andy - K0AF

Dave,

The original default file location specified for audio in both WinWarbler and DXKeeper was "C:\User\Andy\OneDrive\DXLab\QSOAudio". On startup the applications would create an empty DXLab folder. They did not create the QSOAudio folder.

After changing the path in both WinWarbler and DXKeeper to my preferred location, the applications continue to create an empty DXLab folder in "C:\User\Andy\OneDrive" when they start.

That's not a problem, just a minor annoyance. Very minor.

Andy - K0AF

Andy - K0AF

Dave - I rebooted my computer. Now when I start DXLab Launcher the applications no longer create the rogue DXLab directory.

I don't know whether to thank you or Bill Gates but all is well now.

Thanks!
Andy - K0AF

Dave - I rebooted my computer. Now when I start DXLab Launcher the applications no longer create the rogue DXLab directory.

I don't know whether to thank you or Bill Gates but all is well now.

+ As already explained, the folder is intentionally created if it does not already exist. If that's no longer happening, then something has been broken.