DXView to Control Remote Rotator

John Samuels K2CIB

I need a solution.  I want to be able to click on DXView or a spot to control my Green Heron-Yaesu rotator at my remote site.  My local LAN is connected to the remote LAN OK and that is fine for packet-based communication.  DXView requires a COM port for communicating with a rotator.  There is software that would give me port-to-port communications over IP, but they are hundreds of dollars.  There are individual low priced devices that purport to provide a two-way RS-232 connection at one end.  Would I need two?  How can I create a virtual port on my local computer to talk with a real port on my remote over IP?  How do you do it?

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

I need a solution. I want to be able to click on DXView or a spot to control my Green Heron-Yaesu rotator at my remote site. My local LAN is connected to the remote LAN OK and that is fine for packet-based communication. DXView requires a COM port for communicating with a rotator. There is software that would give me port-to-port communications over IP, but they are hundreds of dollars. There are individual low priced devices that purport to provide a two-way RS-232 connection at one end. Would I need two?

+ Probably; their documentation should make this clear.

How can I create a virtual port on my local computer to talk with a real port on my remote over IP?

+ Googling "Serial over IP" reports many options

How do you do it?

+ I don't; my antenna rotator is local.

Dave, AA6YQ

Jim Miller, AB3CV

Call Jeff. W2FU

jim ab3cv 

dxradio33

This will do exactly what you want at a modest price.

https://www.pusr.com/products/4-port-serial-to-ip-converters-usr-n540.html

Joe K8FC

From: DXLab@groups.io <DXLab@groups.io> On Behalf Of John Samuels K2CIB
Sent: Friday, July 09, 2021 15:35
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: [DXLab] DXView to Control Remote Rotator

I need a solution.  I want to be able to click on DXView or a spot to control my Green Heron-Yaesu rotator at my remote site.  My local LAN is connected to the remote LAN OK and that is fine for packet-based communication.  DXView requires a COM port for communicating with a rotator.  There is software that would give me port-to-port communications over IP, but they are hundreds of dollars.  There are individual low priced devices that purport to provide a two-way RS-232 connection at one end.  Would I need two?  How can I create a virtual port on my local computer to talk with a real port on my remote over IP?  How do you do it?

Johnny IZ8EWD

Or Raspberry Pi in the remote site, attached to control box serial port, running ser2net utility.
On the client side, software like VSPE, com0com, ecc.

I'm writing a guide for this, please be patient, I will attach the link when finished.