DXView to Control Remote Rotator

John Samuels K2CIB

I need a solution.  I want to be able to click on DXView or a spot to control my Green Heron-Yaesu rotator at my remote site.  My local LAN is connected to the remote LAN OK and that is fine for packet-based communication.  DXView requires a COM port for communicating with a rotator.  There is software that would give me port-to-port communications over IP, but they are hundreds of dollars.  There are individual low priced devices that purport to provide a two-way RS-232 connection at one end.  Would I need two?  How can I create a virtual port on my local computer to talk with a real port on my remote over IP?  How do you do it?

I need a solution. I want to be able to click on DXView or a spot to control my Green Heron-Yaesu rotator at my remote site. My local LAN is connected to the remote LAN OK and that is fine for packet-based communication. DXView requires a COM port for communicating with a rotator. There is software that would give me port-to-port communications over IP, but they are hundreds of dollars. There are individual low priced devices that purport to provide a two-way RS-232 connection at one end. Would I need two?

+ Probably; their documentation should make this clear.

How can I create a virtual port on my local computer to talk with a real port on my remote over IP?

+ Googling "Serial over IP" reports many options

How do you do it?

+ I don't; my antenna rotator is local.

Jim Miller, AB3CV

Call Jeff. W2FU

jim ab3cv

dxradio33

This will do exactly what you want at a modest price.

https://www.pusr.com/products/4-port-serial-to-ip-converters-usr-n540.html

Joe K8FC