DXView Experiment - Antipode

Robie - AJ4F

Dave,

I've been experimenting with DXView with the objective of learning more about it and have made an interesting observation.  

1. I enter AJ4F into the Callsign box and press GO

2. DXView displays the relevant data which includes my Latitude 29 31' 15" N; Longitude 95 2' 30" W

Here's the experimental part:

1. I change my latitude from N to S and longitude from W to E.  I believe this to be my the location of my Antipode.

2. I press enter on the keyboard and DXView displays a new grid square NG70ml, short and log path headings, etc. which look correct intuitively, based on the DXView world map.

3. SP DX distance is displayed as 11831 miles and LP DX distance is displayed as 13071 miles.  The sum of these is 24902 miles.  Which agrees with other LP + SP distances I see displayed for other locations.  However the difference is 1240 miles.  If my assumption is that the new location is indeed my antipode I expect the SP and LP distances to be equal or nearly so.

What am I not understanding?  Am I using DXView incorrectly?, making an error in my determination of the Latitude and Longitude of my antipode?

I'd appreciate your feedback.

Robie AJ4F

Dave AA6YQ

You are computing the antipodal coordinates incorrectly. See the “Mathematical description” section of

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipodes

The location of your antipodes is

Latitude 29 31' 15" S; Longitude 84 57' 30" E

Dave, AA6YQ

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Robie - AJ4F
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2021 9:50 AM
To: Dxlab@groups.io
Subject: [DXLab] DXView Experiment - Antipode

Dave,

I've been experimenting with DXView with the objective of learning more about it and have made an interesting observation.

2. DXView displays the relevant data which includes my Latitude 29 31' 15" N; Longitude 95 2' 30" W

1. I change my latitude from N to S and longitude from W to E. I believe this to be my the location of my Antipode.

2. I press enter on the keyboard and DXView displays a new grid square NG70ml, short and log path headings, etc. which look correct intuitively, based on the DXView world map.

3. SP DX distance is displayed as 11831 miles and LP DX distance is displayed as 13071 miles. The sum of these is 24902 miles. Which agrees with other LP + SP distances I see displayed for other locations. However the difference is 1240 miles. If my assumption is that the new location is indeed my antipode I expect the SP and LP distances to be equal or nearly so.

What am I not understanding? Am I using DXView incorrectly?, making an error in my determination of the Latitude and Longitude of my antipode?

Robie AJ4F

Robie - AJ4F

Dave,

Thanks for the feedback!

Robie AJ4F 

On Fri, Nov 19, 2021, 9:37 AM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
You are computing the antipodal coordinates incorrectly. See the “Mathematical description” section of

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antipodes

The location of your antipodes is

Latitude 29 31' 15" S; Longitude 84 57' 30" E

Dave, AA6YQ

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Robie - AJ4F
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2021 9:50 AM
To: Dxlab@groups.io
Subject: [DXLab] DXView Experiment - Antipode

Dave,

I've been experimenting with DXView with the objective of learning more about it and have made an interesting observation. 

2. DXView displays the relevant data which includes my Latitude 29 31' 15" N; Longitude 95 2' 30" W

1. I change my latitude from N to S and longitude from W to E.  I believe this to be my the location of my Antipode.

2. I press enter on the keyboard and DXView displays a new grid square NG70ml, short and log path headings, etc. which look correct intuitively, based on the DXView world map.

3. SP DX distance is displayed as 11831 miles and LP DX distance is displayed as 13071 miles.  The sum of these is 24902 miles.  Which agrees with other LP + SP distances I see displayed for other locations.  However the difference is 1240 miles.  If my assumption is that the new location is indeed my antipode I expect the SP and LP distances to be equal or nearly so.

What am I not understanding?  Am I using DXView incorrectly?, making an error in my determination of the Latitude and Longitude of my antipode?

Robie AJ4F