Topics

DXview and location

Tony Dixon G4CJC

Hi Dave,
Many times when I put a Callsign into DXview Entity and Location are both the same. Is there anyway to fill Location with a town name or city. For me that would be more useful.
Cheers
Tony

Many times when I put a Callsign into DXview Entity and Location are both the same. Is there anyway to fill Location with a town name or city. For me that would be more useful.

+ DXView functions by inspecting the callsign you specify. Except for certain notoriously ambiguous prefixes (TM, TO, E5), DXView can determine the DXCC entity from the callsign; doing this for callsigns issued by the United States Federal Communications Commission requires reference to a database containing every licensed callsign, its DXCC entity, its US State, and the grid square associated with the centroid of its zipcode; this enables DXView to display US States in its Location display. Some countries - Japan, China, and Russia, for example - encode location information in the callsign's number ("call area") and/or suffix: JA1 callsigns are in the Kanto prefecture of Japan, callsigns beginning with BA2A are in Hei Long Jiang Province of China, and callsigns beginning with RB2E are located in the Oryel Oblast of European Russia. Most countries, however, do not structure their callsigns to make it possible to deduce fine-grained geographic information; for these countries, DXView displays the Entity name in the Location display.

+ If you use DXKeeper and have callbook access configured,

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CallbookLookup>

+ you can instead type a callsign into DXKeeper's Capture window and strike the Enter key; the Capture window will then display the information reported by the Callbook, which generally includes a city or town name.

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSOCapture>

+ Note that a new QSO will not be logged unless you click the Capture window's Log button (or strike a keyboard shortcut that initiates the Log function, like CTRL-L).

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/Help/KeyboardShortcuts.htm#Capture%20window%20shortcuts>

+ If you have Pathfinder running and configured to automatically query a specific source (like QRZ.com), initiating a "lookup" in either DXView or DXKeeper's Capture window will direct Pathfinder to display even more information about the callsign, possibly including a map showing its location.

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSLRouteDiscovery>

Tony Dixon G4CJC

Thanks Dave.
Not only did you explain fully how/why DXView does what it does but also told me how I could easily get the info I would like. Kudos.to you.
73
Tony G4CJC