DXlabs Commander and icom7610....slow response to test CAT and TX commands


Fred Roberts
 

Hello to the group again. New to DXlabs, I've been learning about DXkeeper most of the day from my Elmer, who has a lot of experience with the programs. When operating ft8, I use WSJT-x - the Radio tab on it is now set to DXlabs - and I noticed that the TestCat button took 4 or 5 seconds to turn green. I had a test QSO with my Elmer and there were no problems, but I noticed that the rig did not immediately go into xmit at the start of the 15 second cycle, but instead started about 3 seconds into the cycle. Also, when I activate the Tune button in WSJT-x, it takes the rig about 3 seconds to go into XMIT. Looking closely at the rig, when I press Tune on WSJT-x, it appears that VFO B is selected and then queried. Then the mode is set to USB-D1 (even if it is already there), then VFO A is selected, and then the XMIT command is sent to VFO B. The rig is in Split mode. Is there a way to speed the process up? Should I use 'Fake it' instead of split mode?
Thanks for the great support on the questions I had earlier.
73,
Fred
WB4QOC



Sent from my phone.....Fred

On Sun, Mar 14, 2021, 8:13 PM Fred Roberts via groups.io <fred5352=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Dave....
      Thank you for your quick reply....again....I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.....sometimes my 10 year old grandson can get a bit demanding. He is going back to 'Real School' starting tomorrow.
      Thank you for the my QTH fix. No problems now.
Fred
WB4QOC



Sent from my phone.....Fred

On Sat, Mar 13, 2021, 7:41 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
Yes. All of them made from the same call, but some of them were made from a different grid square.
+  You should define a myQTH for each physical location from which you made QSOs -- independent of the callsign you employed over the air. I suggest using a town name or county name as the myQTH ID. Let me know when you have your two myQTHs defined, and we'll proceed to the next step, which is updating your logged QSOs to reflect the correct myQTH ID
Is that where the problem lies?
+ The flashing myQTH ID label is DXKeeper pointing out that you had not specified a myQTH ID in that QSO. We'll be taking care of that.

        73,

              Dave, AA6YQ


Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

Hello to the group again. New to DXlabs, I've been learning about DXkeeper most of the day from my Elmer, who has a lot of experience with the programs. When operating ft8, I use WSJT-x - the Radio tab on it is now set to DXlabs - and I noticed that the TestCat button took 4 or 5 seconds to turn green. I had a test QSO with my Elmer and there were no problems, but I noticed that the rig did not immediately go into xmit at the start of the 15 second cycle, but instead started about 3 seconds into the cycle. Also, when I activate the Tune button in WSJT-x, it takes the rig about 3 seconds to go into XMIT. Looking closely at the rig, when I press Tune on WSJT-x, it appears that VFO B is selected and then queried. Then the mode is set to USB-D1 (even if it is already there), then VFO A is selected, and then the XMIT command is sent to VFO B. The rig is in Split mode. Is there a way to speed the process up? Should I use 'Fake it' instead of split mode?

+ As a first step, in the Radio panel on the General tab of Commander's Configuration window, set the "Command interval" to 25.

+ Any change in behavior?

73,

Dave, AA6YQ


Fred Roberts
 

Dave....
      Thanks for your quick response. I didn't see your response until about an your after it was received, and I've already called it a night....have to get the grandson to school before 7AM!! I'll try it tomorrow morning and let you know. Thank you!
Fred
WB4QOC



Sent from my phone.....Fred


On Sun, Mar 14, 2021, 9:07 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Hello to the group again. New to DXlabs, I've been learning about DXkeeper most of the day from my Elmer, who has a lot of experience with the programs. When operating ft8, I use WSJT-x - the Radio tab on it is now set to DXlabs - and I noticed that the TestCat button took 4 or 5 seconds to turn green. I had a test QSO with my Elmer and there were no problems, but I noticed that the rig did not immediately go into xmit at the start of the 15 second cycle, but instead started about 3 seconds into the cycle. Also, when I activate the Tune button in WSJT-x, it takes the rig about 3 seconds to go into XMIT. Looking closely at the rig, when I press Tune on WSJT-x, it appears that VFO B is selected and then queried. Then the mode is set to USB-D1 (even if it is already there), then VFO A is selected, and then the XMIT command is sent to VFO B. The rig is in Split mode. Is there a way to speed the process up? Should I use 'Fake it' instead of split mode?

+ As a first step, in the Radio panel on the General tab of Commander's Configuration window, set the "Command interval" to 25.

+ Any change in behavior?

      73,

              Dave, AA6YQ








Dave AA6YQ
 

O+ AA6YQ comments below
I didn't see your response until about an your after it was received, and I've already called it a night....have to get the grandson to school before 7AM!! I'll try it tomorrow morning and let you know.

+ No rush, Fred. First things first!

      73 de Dave AA6YQ


Fred Roberts
 

Dave....
       That did it! Thank you. Now, can we PLEASE get some sunspots.....
73,
Fred
WB4QOC



Sent from my phone.....Fred


On Sun, Mar 14, 2021, 9:07 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Hello to the group again. New to DXlabs, I've been learning about DXkeeper most of the day from my Elmer, who has a lot of experience with the programs. When operating ft8, I use WSJT-x - the Radio tab on it is now set to DXlabs - and I noticed that the TestCat button took 4 or 5 seconds to turn green. I had a test QSO with my Elmer and there were no problems, but I noticed that the rig did not immediately go into xmit at the start of the 15 second cycle, but instead started about 3 seconds into the cycle. Also, when I activate the Tune button in WSJT-x, it takes the rig about 3 seconds to go into XMIT. Looking closely at the rig, when I press Tune on WSJT-x, it appears that VFO B is selected and then queried. Then the mode is set to USB-D1 (even if it is already there), then VFO A is selected, and then the XMIT command is sent to VFO B. The rig is in Split mode. Is there a way to speed the process up? Should I use 'Fake it' instead of split mode?

+ As a first step, in the Radio panel on the General tab of Commander's Configuration window, set the "Command interval" to 25.

+ Any change in behavior?

      73,

              Dave, AA6YQ








Dave AA6YQ
 

+ AA6YQ comments below

Now, can we PLEASE get some sunspots.....

+ Working on it:

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/propview/SolControl.jpg

73,

Dave, AA6YQ


Fred Roberts
 

Excellent!!!!

Sent from my phone.....Fred

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021, 1:52 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Now, can we PLEASE get some sunspots.....

+ Working on it:

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/propview/SolControl.jpg

       73,

               Dave, AA6YQ








w6de
 

Fred, the recommended approach by the WSJTX developers is to use “Fake it.”  Otherwise, you will eventually find that using split on Icom rigs does not work well on WSJTX.

 

73,

Dave, w6de

 

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of Fred Roberts
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2021 00:45
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: [DXLab] DXlabs Commander and icom7610....slow response to test CAT and TX commands

 

Hello to the group again. New to DXlabs, I've been learning about DXkeeper most of the day from my Elmer, who has a lot of experience with the programs. When operating ft8, I use WSJT-x - the Radio tab on it is now set to DXlabs - and I noticed that the TestCat button took 4 or 5 seconds to turn green. I had a test QSO with my Elmer and there were no problems, but I noticed that the rig did not immediately go into xmit at the start of the 15 second cycle, but instead started about 3 seconds into the cycle. Also, when I activate the Tune button in WSJT-x, it takes the rig about 3 seconds to go into XMIT. Looking closely at the rig, when I press Tune on WSJT-x, it appears that VFO B is selected and then queried. Then the mode is set to USB-D1 (even if it is already there), then VFO A is selected, and then the XMIT command is sent to VFO B. The rig is in Split mode. Is there a way to speed the process up? Should I use 'Fake it' instead of split mode?

Thanks for the great support on the questions I had earlier.

73,

Fred

WB4QOC

 

 

 

Sent from my phone.....Fred

 

On Sun, Mar 14, 2021, 8:13 PM Fred Roberts via groups.io <fred5352=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Dave....

      Thank you for your quick reply....again....I apologize for not getting back to you sooner.....sometimes my 10 year old grandson can get a bit demanding. He is going back to 'Real School' starting tomorrow.

      Thank you for the my QTH fix. No problems now.

Fred

WB4QOC

 

 

Sent from my phone.....Fred

 

On Sat, Mar 13, 2021, 7:41 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

Yes. All of them made from the same call, but some of them were made from a different grid square.

+  You should define a myQTH for each physical location from which you made QSOs -- independent of the callsign you employed over the air. I suggest using a town name or county name as the myQTH ID. Let me know when you have your two myQTHs defined, and we'll proceed to the next step, which is updating your logged QSOs to reflect the correct myQTH ID

Is that where the problem lies?

+ The flashing myQTH ID label is DXKeeper pointing out that you had not specified a myQTH ID in that QSO. We'll be taking care of that.

        73,

              Dave, AA6YQ


g4wjs
 

On 15/03/2021 22:09, w6de wrote:

Fred, the recommended approach by the WSJTX developers is to use “Fake it.”  Otherwise, you will eventually find that using split on Icom rigs does not work well on WSJTX.

 

73,

Dave, w6de

Dave,

that's news to me.

73
Bill
G4WJS.


--
73

Bill

G4WJS.


w6de
 

Well, maybe I worded that wrong, but I have seen you suggest to Icom 7600 users to use “Fake it.”  I don’t recall specifically you commenting about Icom 7610.  But my brother has had problems when his Icom 7610 radio is in already in split mode when WSJX is started up, just like I have with my 7600.  I also have an Icom 7300 and it doesn’t have a split function on the radio, so I continued to use “Fake it” when I switch radios.

 

Dave, w6de

 

From: DXLab@groups.io [mailto:DXLab@groups.io] On Behalf Of g4wjs
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2021 22:13
To: DXLab@groups.io
Subject: Re: [DXLab] DXlabs Commander and icom7610....slow response to test CAT and TX commands

 

On 15/03/2021 22:09, w6de wrote:

Fred, the recommended approach by the WSJTX developers is to use “Fake it.”  Otherwise, you will eventually find that using split on Icom rigs does not work well on WSJTX.

 

73,

Dave, w6de

Dave,

that's news to me.

73
Bill
G4WJS.


--
73

Bill

G4WJS.