Topics

DXLabs and CW Skimmer - DXLabs is sluggish to Non-Responsive (and HDSDR)

Andrew OBrien

I'm tagging on to this thread although I do not operate with a Flex.  I recently moved to a newer laptop,  Radio is an Icom 7610 , as a result, I have HDSDR in the mix. Despite being a faster computer than my old desktop, CW Skimmer crawls to a halt when I have HDSDR,  spot collector and DXkeeper open at the same time. My newer laptop has an  i5 1.7 gHz  with 4 Cores and 8 gigs of RAM and my old desktop is AMD A8-5500  3200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), and handled ALL of DXLAB Suite and CWS quite well. Perhaps my laptop is NOT "faster" .  Anyway, has anyone found a DXLAB, HDSDR,  and CWS set-up that can be handled my moderate computers?

Andy K3UK

I'm tagging on to this thread although I do not operate with a Flex. I recently moved to a newer laptop, Radio is an Icom 7610 , as a result, I have HDSDR in the mix. Despite being a faster computer than my old desktop, CW Skimmer crawls to a halt when I have HDSDR, spot collector and DXkeeper open at the same time. My newer laptop has an i5 1.7 gHz with 4 Cores and 8 gigs of RAM and my old desktop is AMD A8-5500 3200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), and handled ALL of DXLAB Suite and CWS quite well. Perhaps my laptop is NOT "faster" . Anyway, has anyone found a DXLAB, HDSDR, and CWS set-up that can be handled my moderate computers?

+ Is your old desktop still available for comparisons?

+ How much RAM does your desktop have?

+ Did you configure the applications on your laptop identically to the way they were configured on your old desktop?

Andrew OBrien

The desktop has 12 megs RAM and the desktop is still operational in the shack with same software . I’ll try to match settings and publish the outcome.

Andy

On Jun 2, 2020, at 8:16 PM, Dave AA6YQ <@AA6YQ> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

+ Your desktop has 50% more RAM, and its CPU's clock rate is just over twice that of your laptop's.

+ I suggest rebooting Windows on the Laptop into "Safe Mode with Networking" to rule out interference from an automatically-started application.

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 5:10 PM Andrew OBrien <k3ukandy@...> wrote:

I'm tagging on to this thread although I do not operate with a Flex. I recently moved to a newer laptop, Radio is an Icom 7610 , as a result, I have HDSDR in the mix. Despite being a faster computer than my old desktop, CW Skimmer crawls to a halt when I have HDSDR, spot collector and DXkeeper open at the same time. My newer laptop has an i5 1.7 gHz with 4 Cores and 8 gigs of RAM and my old desktop is AMD A8-5500 3200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), and handled ALL of DXLAB Suite and CWS quite well. Perhaps my laptop is NOT "faster" . Anyway, has anyone found a DXLAB, HDSDR, and CWS set-up that can be handled my moderate computers?
Not sure if it's the same thing you're seeing, but I've been having
trouble with CW Skimmer lately too - I'm beginning to think it has
something to do with Windows 10 1909. I built a new 8-core (16 thread)
Ryzen with 32G for my home desktop, and rebuilt an older Core-i7 that
runs my remote station - both with 1909. CW Skimmer on both shows very
high "Decoding capacity used" on both - sometimes close to 100%, and
the waterfall starts tearing badly. If I shut down other applications,
the decoding capacity seems to improve a bit, but there's no
indication that the other apps are using a lot of resources - the
systems overall doesn't seem at all stressed. I didn't have this
problem with pre-1909 Windows 10 on either my previous desktop nor my
remote station prior to rebuilding it. It seems as if CW Skimmer is
competing with the other apps for some resource, but I haven't been
able to figure out what it is.

I'm curious what versions of Windows you're running on your two
systems? (use winver to find out)

73,

~iain / N6ML

Andrew OBrien

I am running Win 10 on both.  In poking around the laptop this evening, the benchmark software tells me.

"High background CPU (28%). High background CPU reduces benchmark accuracy .CPU throttled at 88% by Windows. "

So I have to see what is taking up 28% CPU in the back ground, I don't see it clearly in Taskmanager.

I do feel that something has worsened in CW Skimmer and possibly HDSDR  with recent Windows 10 updates.

ANdy K3UK

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 9:18 PM iain macdonnell - N6ML <ar@...> wrote:
On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 5:10 PM Andrew OBrien <k3ukandy@...> wrote:

> I'm tagging on to this thread although I do not operate with a Flex.  I recently moved to a newer laptop,  Radio is an Icom 7610 , as a result, I have HDSDR in the mix. Despite being a faster computer than my old desktop, CW Skimmer crawls to a halt when I have HDSDR,  spot collector and DXkeeper open at the same time. My newer laptop has an  i5 1.7 gHz  with 4 Cores and 8 gigs of RAM and my old desktop is AMD A8-5500  3200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), and handled ALL of DXLAB Suite and CWS quite well. Perhaps my laptop is NOT "faster" .  Anyway, has anyone found a DXLAB, HDSDR,  and CWS set-up that can be handled my moderate computers?

Not sure if it's the same thing you're seeing, but I've been having
trouble with CW Skimmer lately too - I'm beginning to think it has
something to do with Windows 10 1909. I built a new 8-core (16 thread)
Ryzen with 32G for my home desktop, and rebuilt an older Core-i7 that
runs my remote station - both with 1909. CW Skimmer on both shows very
high "Decoding capacity used" on both - sometimes close to 100%, and
the waterfall starts tearing badly. If I shut down other applications,
the decoding capacity seems to improve a bit, but there's no
indication that the other apps are using a lot of resources - the
systems overall doesn't seem at all stressed. I didn't have this
problem with pre-1909 Windows 10 on either my previous desktop nor my
remote station prior to rebuilding it. It seems as if CW Skimmer is
competing with the other apps for some resource, but I haven't been
able to figure out what it is.

I'm curious what versions of Windows you're running on your two
systems? (use winver to find out)

73,

    ~iain / N6ML

Pete Smith

There's something very wrong here, Iain.  I run the latest windows 10 pro on an i5, and two 8-band instances of CW Skimmer Server - one on each receiver in the Red Pitaya - and CPU utilization only runs 10-20 percent - it does require 160 MbS of Ethernet, though, between the computer and the receiver.  What does Task Manager say?

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network
at <http://reversebeacon.net>, now
spotting RTTY activity worldwide.
For spots, please use your favorite

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 7:14 PM Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:

There's something very wrong here, Iain. I run the latest windows 10 pro on an i5, and two 8-band instances of CW Skimmer Server - one on each receiver in the Red Pitaya - and CPU utilization only runs 10-20 percent - it does require 160 MbS of Ethernet, though, between the computer and the receiver. What does Task Manager say?
I agree that something is very wrong, but I haven't been able to put
my finger on what it is yet. Here's what it looks like:

https://youtu.be/KbsyG9go970

Open to suggestions......

73,

~iain / N6ML

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 6:59 PM Andrew OBrien <k3ukandy@...> wrote:

I am running Win 10 on both. In poking around the laptop this evening, the benchmark software tells me.
What version/release of Windows 10? Run "winver" to find out.

73,

~iain / N6ML

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 9:18 PM iain macdonnell - N6ML <@N6ML> wrote:

[...]

David Burden

I operate a new Dell i7 desktop with 32GB ram. This PC is dedicated to AR activity. I operate 4 screens. I do a lot of Digi via mainly WSJTX and usually have at least 2 sessions operating with JT Alert and the full suite of DXLabs.

I find that I have to stop spot collector regularly as its seems to consume a lot of resources, enough to slow or interrupt other processes. One of these instances is when running HDSR with CW Skimmer. Another is on an extented FT4 sessions with back to back contacts, I find DX Keeper struggles to log contacts correctly (WSJTX-JTAlert-DX KEEPER). My observations are JT Alert will occasionally pop a logging error writing to DX Labs and not write the contact at all, or, on other occasions will populate the DXCC country field of the current contact with the Country of the previous contact.

I found that these errors did not occur when Spot Collector was closed. In addition I have not tested this problem with the current 2.2.0 and JT Alert 2.16.6.

I intend to operate this weekend in both FT8 and  FT4 possibly running one of the VK Stay Home calls. Dave if there are any actions I can asist in gathering data, I would be honoured to lend a hand.

73 David VK3BDX

Jeff AC0C

Are you running spotcollector at the same time?  If so check the amount of spots in that (which is controlled by the age setting). Set the age to 1 day and prune.  See if that makes this problem go away?

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie
www.ac0c.com

On 6/2/20 9:50 PM, iain macdonnell - N6ML wrote:
[...]

Kent N6WT

I have been having this same problem for a while now. I had some good results following this. https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/OptimizeSCPerformance

I still have the problem just not as bad.

Thanks
73
Kent
N6WT

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020, 20:37 Jeff AC0C <keepwalking188@...> wrote:
> [...]

I found that these errors did not occur when Spot Collector was closed. In addition I have not tested this problem with the current 2.2.0 and JT Alert 2.16.6.

I intend to operate this weekend in both FT8 and FT4 possibly running one of the VK Stay Home calls. Dave if there are any actions I can asist in gathering data, I would be honoured to lend a hand.

+ It is axiomatic that any hardware configuration can be overloaded if you run enough applications.

+ SpotCollector provides many options for controlling its resource consumption. See

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/OptimizeSCPerformance>

+ Keep in mind that misconfigured anti-malware can reduce your system's performance. To see if this is a factor, boot Windows into "Safe Mode with Networking", and start your DXLab applications (serial ports won't be accessible because their drivers won't have been loaded). If the performance is markedly better, one or more applications automatically started by Windows when booted normally are likely interfering; see

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ApplicationInteference>

+ When interoperating with JT-Alert, DXKeeper logs the ADIF QSO Record it receives from JT-Alert. If you are seeing erroneous information being logged via this interoperation, then enable the "Log debugging info" option on the General tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window. The next time erroneous information is logged via JT-Alert,

1. uncheck "Log debugging info" on the Configuration window's General tab

2. attach the errorlog.txt file from your DXKeeper folder to an email message that describes both the correct and erroneous logged information, and send the message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

+ The errorlog will contain the ADIF QSO Record received from JT-Alert, and thus will reveal where the problem lies.

I have been having this same problem for a while now. I had some good results following this. https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/OptimizeSCPerformance

+ What problem are you having Kent?

+ Which applications are you running?

+ What SpotCollector settings are you using?

Pat Koss

Following.

Been here.

--

Pat Koss
501.772.3307

--
pat koss / nf8h

w6de

VK3BDX, Regarding your comments: “I find DX Keeper struggles to log contacts correctly (WSJTX-JTAlert-DX KEEPER).

On my dedicated shack computer I run a six core i7 (12 processes) at 3.4 GHz processor with 16 GB of memory and a MVME SSD main disk drive.  I do not run JTAlert.  Instead I run WSJTX, Spot Collector and DXKeeper integrated as described here:

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStartedwithK1JTModesDirect

I have SpotCollector optimized as per:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/OptimizeSCPerformance

I am running Windows-10 version 1909.

I have WSJTX ‘DECODE’ set to DEEP.

I have encountered delays with WSJTX logging directly to DXKeeper as you describe [for JTAlert].  The conditions for this are when I have been running a WSJTX operating session for sever hours and logging over a hundred + QSOs over that time period.  Operating on 20meters either FT8 with more than ~40 active stations per 15 second FT8 time window.  I found that shutting down WSJTX and then restarting WSJTX up again has cleared the delay (ONLY WSJTX was shut down and restarted!).  I found this by accident as I would shut down WSJTX when I would see another “needed” spot and I’d change operating modes.

Regarding performance.

During these very busy sessions when I noticed the logging delay. I’d open the Win-10 Resource Manager and observe that Windows-10 has spread the active processes across 6 to 7 of the 12 processes/processors available.  Significantly, I notice the CPU usage across the 6 processors peaks at nearly 100% on the majority of these processes, the other processes are loading up also but don’t reach 100%.  After finding how to reinstate timely logging, I checked the Performance monitor again and the CPU usages were still at roughly the same levels as when I was troubleshooting earlier.

73

Dave, w6de

[...]

+ The next time you time you notice this delay in logging, please do the following:

1. on the General tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window, check the "log debugging info" box

2. when you're next about log a QSO, glace at the title bar of Commander's Main window and jot down the time-to-the-second it shows, and then click the WSJT-X Log button

3. after the QSO has been logged,

3a. on the General tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window, uncheck the "log debugging info" box

3b. attach the errorlog.txt file from your DXKeeper folder to an email message that contains the time you jotted down in step 2, and send the message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

Regarding performance.
During these very busy sessions when I noticed the logging delay. I’d open the Win-10 Resource Manager and observe that Windows-10 has spread the active processes across 6 to 7 of the 12 processes/processors available. Significantly, I notice the CPU usage across the 6 processors peaks at nearly 100% on the majority of these processes, the other processes are loading up also but don’t reach 100%.

+ The next time you see CPU utilization that high, please make a screen shot of the Windows task Manager showing CPU usage, and send it my way.

Andrew OBrien

I spent some time tweaking the PC  and monitoring Task Manager today while running DX Lab with HDSDR and CW Skimmer.  With an i5 laptop and 8 gigs of RAM  I ran into some oddities where almost 50% of my RAM was in use BEFORE I even opened the aforementioned applications.  Sometimes even rebooting the laptop did not lower RAM use. Other times it did. I removed my Bitdefender security software and that helped a little, although Windows Defender then popped up and liked to gobble a good chunk of RAM. Anyway, with RAM better managed I watched CW Skimmer, HDSDR, and all of the DX Lab component with Task Manager open. DX Lab Suite components hardly registered any RAM use, very minimal.  Especially after I followed suggestions and optimized Spotcollector for my needs. CW Skimmer was the biggest user of my RAM throughout my tests, followed by HDSDR.  I turned off "raw text" in CW Skimmer and closed both the upper and lower displays for HDSDR , that also helped. The spectrum display in Commander serves as a functional replacement for the HDSDR display, it is remarkable how little RAM and CPU the spectrum display in Commander uses. I still have some CW Skimmer oddities happening, but they happen whether I use DX Lab or not.  Most of the evening my 8 gig of RAM was steady at 50% used when CW Skimmer, HDSDR, and all of DX lab programs were open. There were occasions when things peaked towards 90% of the RAM , that was when launching other unrelated programs.  CW Skimmer really slowed at that point.  I also have some more RAM arriving Friday.

Andy K3UK

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 8:42 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

+ Thanks for the report, Andy!

+ I suspect that the additional 8 GB or RAM will help quite a bit.