Topics

DXlab/WSJT-X integration help requested

Jim

I have DXlab installed along with WSJT-X on a WIN-7 64 bit computer with 8gb of memory.  Everything was running wonderfully UNTIL DXlab and WSJT-x crashed last night.  When I brought it up this morning everything seemed to work ok until one of the programs started yelling "DX"  "DX"  at seeming random interval and whats worse is that it is sending that out on the radio.  I have lost the last hair on my head trying to figure out where this is coming from. My intuition seems to say it is WSJT-x but I cant find it. Neither can I find anything in DXLAB that looks like it would cause it. ..

Does anyone have any ideas where this might be coming from and how to shut it off??  v

Thanks Jim   K3YBN

g4wjs

On 03/06/2019 23:30, Jim wrote:
I have DXlab installed along with WSJT-X on a WIN-7 64 bit computer with 8gb of memory.  Everything was running wonderfully UNTIL DXlab and WSJT-x crashed last night.  When I brought it up this morning everything seemed to work ok until one of the programs started yelling "DX" "DX"  at seeming random interval and whats worse is that it is sending that out on the radio.  I have lost the last hair on my head trying to figure out where this is coming from. My intuition seems to say it is WSJT-x but I cant find it. Neither can I find anything in DXLAB that looks like it would cause it. ..

Does anyone have any ideas where this might be coming from and how to shut it off??  v

Thanks Jim   K3YBN
Hi Jim,

you didn't mention JTAlert but that audio message sounds like one it might emit. If you have system sounds going to your rig then there are two possibilities, either you have a separate sound card for the rig (possibly built into the rig) and it has been assigned as the system default sound playback device, or you are using a single sound card and you have not disabled the system sounds.

Bill

G4WJS.

Jim

Bill thanks for the reply.  First I have three sound cards  one is integrated in the radio and runs via USB connection to the radio itself. The next one is the sound card in the computer which I think I have set to off. Its the one that sends all the stupid windows sounds.  The final one is a USB connected hands free device (has both rcv and hands free mic audio) which I used for JT alert (which is currently hot running). This last one is the one I use to get the alert when a buddy is on or a needed callsign comes up. It seems to me that I had this problem  a few years ago when running JT65 but got the life of me I cant remember what I did to get rid of it.  And I see that I have windows sounds turned off and mute all other sounds when windows detects communications activity.

It just seems to me that there would be a radio button or check mark somewhere that says "Turn on/off  DX announcement" but I don't see anything like that... go figure and this stuff is normally so well behaved too

Jim

Joe Subich, W4TV

It just seems to me that there would be a radio button or check mark somewhere that says "Turn on/off DX announcement" but I don't see anything like that... go figure and this stuff is normally so well behaved too
1) It sounds like you have DX Alerts turned on in SpotCollector
(Config -> Audio Alarm)

2) It also sounds like the sound card in your radio is the Windows
"Default Device".

You *NEVER* want the sound card in/connected to your rig to be the
Windows Default Device to prevent the Windows Noises from going
to the rig.

On 2019-06-03 7:31 PM, Jim wrote:
[...]

Fred Caswell

Are you using JT Alert software also?  JT Alert will do what you describe.

[...]

+ What leads you to conclude that DXLab and WSJT-X crashed?

When I brought it up this morning everything seemed to work ok until one of the programs started yelling "DX" "DX" at seeming random interval and whats worse is that it is sending that out on the radio. I have lost the last hair on my head trying to figure out where this is coming from. My intuition seems to say it is WSJT-x but I cant find it. Neither can I find anything in DXLAB that looks like it would cause it. ..

+ SpotCollector can be configured to announce "DX!" via the default Windows soundcard when a needed station is active. This would only be transmitted if your default Windows soundcard is connected to your transceiver - a configuration that is explicitly not recommended - and are using VOX.

Does anyone have any ideas where this might be coming from and how to shut it off??

+ As a first step, disconnect the default Windows soundcard from your transceiver.

+ To determine which soundcard is the default Windows 7 soundcard,

1. open the Windows Control panel's "Hardware and Sound" section

2. in the Sound section, click the "Manage audio devices" hyperlink

3. in the Sound window that appears, select the Playback tab

+ The soundcard whose icon includes a white checkmark on a green circle is the default Windows soundcard. This soundcard should never be connected to a transceiver's audio input.

Jim

Dave, guys... thanks one and all for the help.  I did solve the problem. it turns out that when I rebooted after the crash I guess somehow SpotCollector had a check for announcing DX alert.  It is now turned off. And Dave WSJT-x, JT alert And commander all locked up and I could not even move the mouse. I waited about 10 minutes without touching anything then gave it the ol' three finger salute to get the Taskmanager then shut it down. .. Again thanks guys.

I did find one other nagging problem in the process of fixing this problem.... my power would rise slowly when running digital which is not what is supposed to happen. I was beginning to think it was an ALC problem with the rig .. turns out it was a sound card problem.  NOTE to self: NEVER NEVER turn on any of the so called enhancements in the playback sound setting.. some rigs don't like it.

Dave, guys... thanks one and all for the help. I did solve the problem. it turns out that when I rebooted after the crash I guess somehow SpotCollector had a check for announcing DX alert. It is now turned off. And Dave WSJT-x, JT alert And commander all locked up and I could not even move the mouse.

+ When multiple applications simultaneously stop working, Windows is the most likely cause. Not being able to move the mouse cursor reinforces this diagnosis.