Topics

DXLab uninstall/ reinstall will cause loss of data files?

Rich W2EG

Got new computer (Win 10) several months ago and installed DXLab (pulling data files off old hard drive). Had it up and running and logged several QSOs. Nearby lightning strike to power mains caused surge damage to various solid state boards throughout house. Got computer up and running (with new motherboard) and K3s with new Digital board. Now, DXLab will not update. I thought easiest way might be to uninstall and then reinstall DXLab and all components. I am worried about losing current data files if I do this. Will I need to locate all the data files, back them up, etc., before uninstall/ reinstall?

Thanks for reading and for suggestions.

73, Rich, W2EG

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 06:07 PM, Rich W2EG wrote:

Got new computer (Win 10) several months ago and installed DXLab (pulling data files off old hard drive). Had it up and running and logged several QSOs. Nearby lightning strike to power mains caused surge damage to various solid state boards throughout house.

+ Sorry to hear that!

Got computer up and running (with new motherboard) and K3s with new Digital board. Now, DXLab will not update. I thought easiest way might be to uninstall and then reinstall DXLab and all components. I am worried about losing current data files if I do this. Will I need to locate all the data files, back them up, etc., before uninstall/ reinstall?

+ It is way premature to take the "uninstall/reinstall" step; that's only appropriate if some DXLab components have become un-installed or un-registered. Let's discover what's broken before deciding how to make a repair. Some questions:

1. can you start the DXLab Launcher?

2. can you direct the Launcher to start DXKeeper?

3. does DXKeeper display your logged QSOs?

4. can you direct the Launcher to start Commander?

5. does Commander track and control your transceiver?

Rich W2EG

GM Dave,

Thanks for your reply.

1. I am able to start the Launcher.

2. I am able to start DX Keeper.

3. DX Keeper does show my logged QSOs (all made and logged BEFORE the power surge).

4. Commander is up and running.

5. Commander shows K3s freq and will (using the arrows to the left and right of the VFO freq display window) change the freq.

6. When I close Commander and click update Commander in the Launcher, I get a message "no distribution site is selected . . ." Same thing happens when I try to update DX Keeper and DX View. There are no available updates shown for Pathfinder or Launcher. I THINK I am missing files?

TU once again.

-Rich, W2EG

On 10/29/2019 9:11 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

Joe Subich, W4TV

6. When I close Commander and click update Commander in the Launcher,
I get a message "no distribution site is selected . . ."
Open Launcher -> Select Config. In the "Distribution Site" (upper
left), select DXLabSuite

On 2019-10-30 9:23 AM, Rich W2EG wrote:
GM Dave,
[...]

John Bastin

On 30Oct 2019, at 09:23, Rich W2EG <kirkaby@...> wrote:

6. When I close Commander and click update Commander in the Launcher, I get a message "no distribution site is selected . . ." Same thing happens when I try to update DX Keeper and DX View. There are no available updates shown for Pathfinder or Launcher. I THINK I am missing files?
When you open Commander and then click on the Config button, at the top of the Config window is a field for “Distribution Site.” What is shown there?

I have “DXLabSuite” selected as a distribution site, and I have no difficulty seeing and getting any available updates.

Hope this helps.

73,

John K8AJS
jbastin1@...
CWOps 1694
Ten-X 11306

Rich W2EG

TU John and Joe.

I can find no file or folder "DXLabSuite" using search on my C drive.

Missing files?

-Rich, W2EG

On 2019-10-30 9:23 AM, Rich W2EG wrote:
GM Dave,

[...]

+ When you open the "Distribution Site" selector on the Launcher's Configuration window, from what options can you choose?

6. When I close Commander and click update Commander in the Launcher,
I get a message "no distribution site is selected . . ."
Open Launcher -> Select Config. In the "Distribution Site" (upper
left), select DXLabSuite

Joe Subich, W4TV

There is no "file or folder 'DXLabSuite'" on the drive. That field
selects *a web site* (FTP repository) for Launcher to download
updates.

Missing files?
No, incorrect setting!

On 2019-10-30 9:23 AM, Rich W2EG wrote:
GM Dave,

Thanks for your reply.

1. I am able to start the Launcher.

2. I am able to start DX Keeper.

3. DX Keeper does show my logged QSOs (all made and logged BEFORE the power surge).

4. Commander is up and running.

5. Commander shows K3s freq and will (using the arrows to the left and right of the VFO freq display window) change the freq.

6. When I close Commander and click update Commander in the Launcher, I get a message "no distribution site is selected . . ." Same thing happens when I try to update DX Keeper and DX View. There are no available updates shown for Pathfinder or Launcher. I THINK I am missing files?

TU once again.

-Rich, W2EG

On 10/29/2019 9:11 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Tue, Oct 29, 2019 at 06:07 PM, Rich W2EG wrote:

    Got new computer (Win 10) several months ago and installed DXLab
    (pulling data files off old hard drive). Had it up and running and
    logged several QSOs. Nearby lightning strike to power mains caused
    surge damage to various solid state boards throughout house.

+ Sorry to hear that!

    Got computer up and running (with new motherboard) and K3s with
    new Digital board. Now, DXLab will not update. I thought easiest
    way might be to uninstall and then reinstall DXLab and all
    components. I am worried about losing current data files if I do
    this. Will I need to locate all the data files, back them up,
    etc., before uninstall/ reinstall?

+ It is way premature to take the "uninstall/reinstall" step; that's only appropriate if some DXLab components have become un-installed or un-registered. Let's discover what's broken before deciding how to make a repair. Some questions:

1. can you start the DXLab Launcher?

2. can you direct the Launcher to start DXKeeper?

3. does DXKeeper display your logged QSOs?

4. can you direct the Launcher to start Commander?

5. does Commander track and control your transceiver?

There is no "file or folder 'DXLabSuite'" on the drive. That field selects *a web site* (FTP repository) for Launcher to download updates.

> Missing files?

No, incorrect setting!

+ The information that appears in "Distribution Sites" selector on the Launcher's Configuration window is taken from files in the Launcher's Sites folder. If this folder is empty, then the user cannot select a Distribution Site.

+ Rich W2EG, what files are present in the Launcher's Sites folder?

Rich W2EG

Empty folder!

Thanks Dave, Joe, and all for help.

-Rich, W2EG

On 10/30/2019 12:24 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

There is no "file or folder 'DXLabSuite'" on the drive. That field selects *a web site* (FTP repository) for Launcher to download updates.

> Missing files?

No, incorrect setting!

+ The information that appears in "Distribution Sites" selector on the Launcher's Configuration window is taken from files in the Launcher's Sites folder. If this folder is empty, then the user cannot select a Distribution Site.

+ Rich W2EG, what files are present in the Launcher's Sites folder?

Rich, I've emailed you the replacement files.

Empty folder!

Thanks Dave, Joe, and all for help.

-Rich, W2EG

On 10/30/2019 12:24 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

There is no "file or folder 'DXLabSuite'" on the drive. That field selects *a web site* (FTP repository) for Launcher to download updates.

> Missing files?

No, incorrect setting!

+ The information that appears in "Distribution Sites" selector on the Launcher's Configuration window is taken from files in the Launcher's Sites folder. If this folder is empty, then the user cannot select a Distribution Site.

+ Rich W2EG, what files are present in the Launcher's Sites folder?

https://www.avg.com

Rich W2EG

Ahhh, I see . . .

Seems okay now.

Thanks much Dave and all for the help.

I wonder what is the fastest command interval I can use with my K3s and new Win 10 computer with a fast i7 processor and plenty of fast memory?

TU, Rich, W2EG

On 10/30/2019 5:34 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
Rich, I've emailed you the replacement files.

Empty folder!

Thanks Dave, Joe, and all for help.

-Rich, W2EG

On 10/30/2019 12:24 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

There is no "file or folder 'DXLabSuite'" on the drive. That field selects *a web site* (FTP repository) for Launcher to download updates.

> Missing files?

No, incorrect setting!

+ The information that appears in "Distribution Sites" selector on the Launcher's Configuration window is taken from files in the Launcher's Sites folder. If this folder is empty, then the user cannot select a Distribution Site.

+ Rich W2EG, what files are present in the Launcher's Sites folder?

I wonder what is the fastest command interval I can use with my K3s and new Win 10 computer with a fast i7 processor and plenty of fast memory?

+ The recommended procedure is to start with a Command Interval of 200 ms, and gradually reduce it until erratic frequency reporting is noted; then increase the Command Interval by 50%.

Rich W2EG

Thanks Dave.

+ AA6YQ comments below