DXLab support for remotely controlling a FlexRadio Signature transceiver via SmartLink

Dave AA6YQ

As usual, Eric KE5DTO has provided answers to my questions on this topic:

1. SmartLink will support remote access to a remote Flex Signature that is connected to a local area network and accessible via the
internet. SmartLink does not require the use of a serial port or the "SmartSDR CAT" application.

2. FlexRadio does not yet provide documentation containing the information needed to extend a transceiver control application like
Commander to connect to a remote Flex Signature via SmartLink.

If and when the required documentation becomes available, I will scope the implementation effort and prioritize it accordingly. In
the meantime, users wishing to control a remote Flex Signature should consider Larry KB1VFU's recommended approach:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/RemoteControlFlexSignature>

Russ Ravella

Hi Dave,

I’m sorry to be so dense but these two bullets seem contradictory? In the first it sounds like Eric is saying a Flex can be accessed through the internet as long as it’s on a LAN that’s accessible to the internet. And that that is accomplished via SmartLink even without the use of “SmartSDR CAT” or any serial connection.

Then he seems to be saying the above ISN’T true applied to “...extending transceiver control to apps like Commander...” (rough quotes) and won’t be until documentation is provided? But what else is there?

I’ve had enough personal experience with Eric to know he absolutely knows what he’s talking about (and smart as hell) so I’m clearly just confused.

However in my setup, all of DXLabs that I’ve learned to use so far works perfectly with my Flex 6600 -LOCALLY- but does not work AT ALL remotely, with or without connecting with “SmartSDR CAT” via SmartLink. Also, N1MM spectrum doesn’t work and Slice Master also doesn’t work to name a few others. Oddly, everything in HRD does work fine remotely.

So the generic claim in the first bullet is demonstrably incorrect? I care a lot about this because getting Commander to work remotely (without mucking with my LAN) is the last step in my “get my new Flex system up and running” process and I’m stuck there. What am I missing?

Thanks, Russ KR6W

On Dec 18, 2018, at 3:42 PM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

[...]

+ Correct. You or I could use SmartLink to do this now.

Then he seems to be saying the above ISN T true applied to ...extending transceiver control to apps like Commander... (rough quotes) and won t be until documentation is provided? But what else is there?

+ The "working scenario" means using the radio without a transceiver control application like Commander.

I ve had enough personal experience with Eric to know he absolutely knows what he s talking about (and smart as hell) so I m clearly just confused.

However in my setup, all of DXLabs that I ve learned to use so far works perfectly with my Flex 6600 -LOCALLY- but does not work AT ALL remotely, with or without connecting with SmartSDR CAT via SmartLink.

+ Commander does not support control of FlexSignature transceivers via a serial port (using "SmartSDR CAT"). There is no reason to do this.

Also, N1MM spectrum doesn't work and Slice Master also doesn t work to name a few others. Oddly, everything in HRD does work fine remotely.

+ I haven't tried it, but Larry KB1VFU is emphatic that this approach works well:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/RemoteControlFlexSignature>

So the generic claim in the first bullet is demonstrably incorrect?

+ The first bullet is accurate.

I care a lot about this because getting Commander to work remotely (without mucking with my LAN) is the last step in my get my new Flex system up and running process and I m stuck there. What am I missing?

+ A transceiver manufacturer that provides the documentation required by application developers (like me) to utilize the transceiver's capabilities. In this case, the undocumented capability is SmartLink. Recall that it took months for Flex to allow application developers access to its Ethernet-based API; and when they finally did so, it became clear that there was little available documentation of that API. Only Eric's willingness to answer my questions enabled me to extend Commander to control a network-connected Flex Signature radio via this API. In the case of SmartLink, however, Eric doesn't have the answers to the questions I gave him.

+ Some companies understand that enabling and encouraging the development of complementary products greatly expands their footprint in the market, creating evangelists with as much if not more credibility than their own marketing efforts. Some don't.

Russ Ravella

Hi Dave,

Thanks as always for the response.

I’m still mighty confused which obviously reflects some misunderstanding I have.  If Eric’s first bullet IS correct, shouldn’t Commander “just work” remotely with Flex - without doing ANYTHING?

Anyway, I won’t waste your time anymore.  I guess I just have to keep my fingers crossed that Flex’s executive management will eventually direct documentation effort accordingly.  After all, to “sell more radios TODAY”, they proactively take credit for and advertise “remote operation” and “Works With Flex”.  A Flex salesman right after responding to this thread a few days ago even just posted a YouTube video to actively push “Works With Flex” and even specifically highlighted Commander.  But both cleverly neglect to mention that the things that “Work With Flex” don’t “work remotely”! And they’re not even supporting doing that!  Amazing...  I hope they eventually provide what you need somehow Dave.

Like I said, thanks as always!

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 06:14 PM, Russ Ravella wrote:
I’m still mighty confused which obviously reflects some misunderstanding I have.  If Eric’s first bullet IS correct, shouldn’t Commander “just work” remotely with Flex - without doing ANYTHING?

+ Commander needs a way to select the remote Flex to which it's connecting. It would have been nice if "just specify the radio's IP address" were sufficient, but it was evidently not possible to achieve SmartLink's objectives with that simple a connectivity mechanism.

Anyway, I won’t waste your time anymore.  I guess I just have to keep my fingers crossed that Flex’s executive management will eventually direct documentation effort accordingly.  After all, to “sell more radios TODAY”, they proactively take credit for and advertise “remote operation” and “Works With Flex”.  A Flex salesman right after responding to this thread a few days ago even just posted a YouTube video to actively push “Works With Flex” and even specifically highlighted Commander.  But both cleverly neglect to mention that the things that “Work With Flex” don’t “work remotely”! And they’re not even supporting doing that!  Amazing...  I hope they eventually provide what you need somehow Dave.

+ We'll see. And hopefully the scope will be small enough for me to "just implement it", as opposed to being large enough to have to wait until tasks with a significantly better cost-benefit ratio have been implemented.

Russ Ravella

Thanks for the response, Dave.  And for all the time helping me with this.  Much appreciated!

On Dec 18, 2018, at 9:36 PM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

[...]

Gerald Youngblood, K5SDR (President and CEO, FlexRadio Systems) wrote:

Hi Russ,

I have added Michael so that he can send you some additional documentation regarding how to operate remotely. We have thousands of customers already doing so.

You can use most third party applications without modification remotely over SmartLink using SmartCAT and DAX.

+ The use of SmartCAT means "by sending Kenwood-style CAT instructions over a virtual serial port".

You can run digital mode applications (e.g. WSJT-X), loggers, etc remotely using only those capabilities.

+ Only because Flex has so-far failed to provide developer documentation for SmartLink.

DXLab, as I understand, talks directly to the SmartSDR API eliminating the requirement for SmartCAT and DAX and thus simplifying the setup.

+ That's not correct, Gerald!

+ DXLab does use the SmartSDR API and this does eliminate the requirement for SmartCAT, but use the SmartSDR API *does not* eliminate the requirement for DAX. More importantly, the primary benefit of DXLab's use of the SmartSDR API is greatly-increased functionality (compared to the Kenwood-style CAT instructions sent over a virtual serial port) and responsiveness. For example, DXLab could not display the callsigns of active DX stations on a Flex Signature Panadaptor without using the API:

<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/commander/FlexSigCallsigns.jpg>

Both are valid but direct network communication is preferred.

+ As it should be. Unfortunately, "direct network communication" cannot yet be used with SmartLink because Flex has not provided the necessary documentation.

"Works with Flex" is relating more specifically to applications which have been written to directly access our radios over the SmartSDR network API instead of CAT or DAX.

+ Sadly, "Works with Flex" currently means "Can't use SmartLink".

+ Why would Flex introduce SmartLink without ensuring that it could be employed by applications that use the SmartSDR API?

Danny K5CG

OpenVPN is your friend.

Russ Ravella

Thanks for the response Dave.  Obviously we all know Flex 6000s can be operated remotely.  The problem is most of our key applications like DXLabs (and N1MM spectrum and Slice Master) DON’T work remotely (yet) and Flex doesn’t seem to understand the problem as illustrated by Gerald’s response and Mike’s YouTube post.  Let’s hope the need for adequate documentation is clear now.

Discouraged by Gerald’s response I decided to try Larry’s (KB1VFU) recommendation earlier in this thread:

Due to pretty massive earlier problems I was reluctant to tempt fate but Larry was kind enough to hold my hand through implementing it in my specific case and it actually worked perfectly!  Major thanks to Larry!  Anyone wanting to use DXLabs with their Flex 6000 series radio REMOTELY (it already works perfectly locally) should try this method until Flex provides Dave with the needed documentation.

On Dec 19, 2018, at 12:05 PM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

[...]

g4wjs

On 20/12/2018 23:35, Russ Ravella via Groups.Io wrote:
Discouraged by Gerald’s response I decided to try Larry’s (KB1VFU) recommendation earlier in this thread:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/RemoteControlFlexSignature
If it were me I would not do that without using a VPN. Connecting a piece of expensive transmitting gear to an open port on your public IP address, giving full remote control to anyone who discovers it, seems rash at best.

73
Bill
G4WJS.

Bill

G4WJS.

On 20/12/2018 23:35, Russ Ravella via Groups.Io wrote:
Discouraged by Gerald s response I decided to try Larry s (KB1VFU)
recommendation earlier in this thread:
https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/RemoteControlFlexSignature
If it were me I would not do that without using a VPN. Connecting a piece of expensive transmitting gear to an open port on your public IP address, giving full remote control to anyone who discovers it, seems rash at best.

73
Bill
G4WJS.

+ Good point, Bill. Perhaps Danny K5CG and Larry KB1VFU will collaborate to augment

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/RemoteControlFlexSignature>

+ with step-by-step instructions for downloading, installing, and configuring OpenVPN to provide an appropriate level of security.

lbenoit@...

Guys, I'm just a peasant trying to run DX Commander for remote operation with SmartLInk.

Yes, port 4992 is apparently insecure with the SmartSDR network API and to what extent only Flex probably knows.  But, I would note that remote rig control with DX Commander is not possible unless the radio is turned on and also running with a SmartSDR client from either the LAN or WAN/Internet via SmartLink.

There is a risk that a hacker could exploit this, so use port forwarding at your own risk. One way to reduce the risk is to assign a different external port number when setting up port forwarding and configure DX Commander accordingly.  For me the chances of someone getting control of my radio while I'm running SmartSDR seems rather unlikely and if it did happen, I would know immediately and could respond accordingly. Others may feel the risk is not worth it. Otherwise my radio is always shut down after remote operations, eliminating any chance of someone trying to hack into my LAN via the Flex radio on port 4992. Also, let's stipulate one point -- port 4992 has no authentication and is possibly open to hacking to an unknown extent irrespective of this discussion.

PSTrotator and presumably other apps employ the SmartSDR network API to obtain band data,  connecting to port 4992 on the LAN and on the WAN/Internet via port forwarding. It seems to me from a user's point of view that Flex should integrate port 4992 services into SmartLink, assuring that all apps like DX Lab and PSTrotator that are coded for the network API will work seamlessly for remote operations.  I believe this is one of Dave's key points.

If Flex decides to close port 4992 to unauthenticated WAN/Internet access hopefully they will provide a substitute pathway over SmartLink.  Fortunately, OpenVPN and SoftEther VPN are good alternatives to SmartLink.  I've used both for three years to remotely operate my Flex radio and station and continue to use them as alternatives to SmartLink.   The Flex Community has some how-to posts that describe setup for both VPN solutions and I would happy to help anyone who is having trouble with OpenVPN (contact me via e-mail on QRZ page).

73,
Larry KB1VFU

[...]

+ Larry, if you could point me at the "how-to" posts that describe setup for OpenVPN and SoftEther, and explain how you use them when operating remotely, I will update your article in

< https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/RemoteControlFlexSignature>

Russ Ravella

Mike,

What is “… wrong with doing the remote CAT connection for DX Commander…” is that it doesn’t work. Dave, it’s developer, has been asking Flex for documentation to implement it that Flex isn’t providing. That why this thread exists. As for, “Do you need N1MM spectrum…” - really ? Are you responding to the fact that your customer wants to use something that doesn’t work with your products by suggesting your customer shouldn’t want to use it? Rather than working with the N1MM folks to fix it? I like to use it. I don’t need to justify it! As for you having Commander working remotely and not knowing what you're missing, you're missing the fact that Flex customers have to waste their time finding hacks with security issues to get it to work and it's designer is asking Flex to provide information so he can GET it to work directly for them. And Flex is responding with evasion, avoidance and denial - everything but support.

I just went through over three months of the same experience with Flex with my brand new Flex 6600 and Maestro, both with fatal hardware problems right out of the box before someone at Flex finally took my problem seriously and fixed it. So none of this surprises me at all. As for Slice Master, I don’t know what you are talking about but I spent several weeks interacting with Don Beaudry the developer of Slice Master personally who says he has not yet attempted to implement Slice Master working remotely. I suspect when he is ready to take that on, he’s going to run into the same issues Dave is here. You are correct in one thing, FRStack is one app that is designed to work remotely. But DogParkSDR is in a different class with Flex’s own SmartSDR and iOSSDR in that they’re not general ham applications like DXLabs, their purpose is to CONTROL Flex remotely so they're designed ONLY to do that.

What I think Flex “is missing” about all of this is, if hams were finding cleaver hacks to get Flex radios to work remotely with general applications Flex didn’t intend them too, that would be one thing. But Flex is actively, in fact aggressively advertising “works with Flex” AND “works remotely” while cleverly failing to mention that applications they’re advertising Flex “works with” like DXLabs, Slice Master and N1MM+ spectrum don’t “work remotely”! You just posted a YouTube video that did exactly that a few days ago, Mike. And Flex isn’t even working with developers to provide what they need so their advertisement is accurate. Instead, just evasion, avoidance and denial. I think that’s what you’re missing Mike.

On Dec 21, 2018, at 1:45 PM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

Andrew Mitchell

A little late to the party but...

Has anyone successfully created a remote connection between DX Commander and a remote 6xxx?

Tks/73

Andy

VA3CW

A little late to the party but...

Has anyone successfully created a remote connection between DX Commander and a remote 6xxx?

+ I requested a technical description of SmartLink from Flex more than a year ago. Still waiting.

Andrew Mitchell

Thanks Dave!

FWIW, I have been able to successfully connect DX Commander to a 6600 using SmartCAT. It controls and reports as expected.  I haven't explored any possibilities beyond that yet but I'm keen to get some current feedback.

Tks/73
Andy

VA3CW

FWIW, I have been able to successfully connect DX Commander to a 6600 using SmartCAT. It controls and reports as expected.  I haven't explored any possibilities beyond that yet but I'm keen to get some current feedback.

+ Commander is designed to control Flex Signature radios via their network API, not via SmartCAT. See

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/FlexSignature

+ Among other benefits, this enables the display of active callsign on the SmartSDR panadaptor:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/FlexSignatureDisplayCallsigns

Andrew Mitchell

Hi Dave,

I'm controlling the Flex via SmartCAT works.  I'm not using the network API.  My interest is driving the radio based on SC.

Tks/73
Andy

I'm controlling the Flex via SmartCAT works.  I'm not using the network API.  My interest is driving the radio based on SC.

+ SmartCAT is a primitive, Kenwood-like CAT protocol. The Flex API provides more functionality, and is faster. Being able to see active stations reported by SpotCollector  displayed on SmartSDR with color-coding for need and LoTW/eQSL participation is a boon for DXers.