Would appreciate suggestions on how to proceed.

Alan K9MBQ

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2020-09-11 3:49 PM, Alan Swinger wrote:
Seems like there is a conflict between the Launcher Download
normal process and the prior tech load.
No. Even though the files for the other DXLab applications are
present, the applications are not "installed." Installing the
applications puts the files in the correct place *but also*
creates registry keys and registers DLLs that are required for
DXLab Suite applications to run properly.

If you have a previously created "workspace" you can try to
load that workspace (it will create all the necessary Registry
Keys). If that does not work, use Windows Explorer and navigate
to the directory of each DXLab Application and rename each of
the DXLab <application>.exe files to <application>.sav. When
you next start Launcher, each of the application "slots" should
be empty and you can download, install (and update) each
application.

On 2020-09-11 3:49 PM, Alan Swinger wrote:
DXLab restore probs
Had a hard drive die in my station PC which my Staples techs replaced and got the machine back up. However, they had to reload Win 10 and also attempted to rebuild the contents from Clone and mirror image drives. Have reloaded LoTW and TQSL w/ certificate, but having difficulty getting DXLab Suites back up. When rebuilding content, the techs dragged and Dropped all DX Lab apps except the Launcher. So, when I downloaded the Launcher it showed all the other apps as present (Red dots). However, none will open from the Launcher and when I look at the Launcher Config display only the Launcher shows as installed – all others are in Red letters showing available. The techs put Desktop shortcuts for all the apps and I can open Commander from there but not Launcher. Seems like there is a conflict between the Launcher Download normal process and the prior tech load.
[...]

+ Step-by-step directions are provided in the "Recovering From a Catastrophic Failure" section at the end of

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/BackupRecovery>

+ It is unfortunate that these instructions were not followed; the fact that the Launcher thinks your other DXLab applications are installed is bad news, because the Launcher won't attempt to install an application that it considers installed.

+ Please open the Windows Control Panel and start the "Remove a program" applet, which will display a list of installed programs. Which DXLab applications appear in that list?

No. Even though the files for the other DXLab applications are present, the applications are not "installed." Installing the applications puts the files in the correct place *but also* creates registry keys and registers DLLs that are required for DXLab Suite applications to run properly.

If you have a previously created "workspace" you can try to load that workspace (it will create all the necessary Registry Keys).

+ Loading a Workspace only populates the Windows Registry Settings used to store DXLab application settings. It does not create or update the Windows Registry Settings that are created when an application is installed in Windows, which vary by Windows version and are not well documented. The only way to install a uninstalled DXLab application on a PC is to run its installer, a task that the DXLab Launcher automates.

If that does not work, use Windows Explorer and navigate to the directory of each DXLab Application and rename each of the DXLab <application>.exe files to <application>.sav. When you next start Launcher, each of the application "slots" should be empty and you can download, install (and update) each application.

+ The Launcher checks the Windows Registry to determine if an application is installed or not; renaming the application's .exe file will not fool the Launcher into believing that that application is not installed.

Alan Swinger

Roger all, Dave. Unfortunately, the well intentioned Staples Techs helped too much!
So, the answer to your question, DXLab apps in the "Remove a program applet" are all of them:
Keeper and Launcher both have today's date (9/11)
Commander, View, Pathfinder, Prop View, Spot Collector, and WinWarbler have yesterday's date (9/10) which is when the Staples techs "Helped".
Alan K9MBQ

[...]

Dave - I have a good workspace saved (I think). Perhaps the best solution is to delete all DXLab apps on this PC and then re-load from a new DX Launcher. Thoughts? . . . and not sure the control panel Uninstall will do it . . . so what other uninstallers would you suggest assuming you agree.?
Alan K9MBQ

[...]

+ AA6YQ comment sbelow

Roger all, Dave. Unfortunately, the well intentioned Staples Techs helped too much!
So, the answer to your question, DXLab apps in the "Remove a program applet" are all of them:
Keeper and Launcher both have today's date (9/11) Commander, View, Pathfinder, Prop View, Spot Collector, and WinWarbler have yesterday's date (9/10) which is when the Staples techs "Helped".

+ OK, so Windows and the Launcher are consistent: both consider your DXLab applications to be installed.

+ Using Windows Explorer, please navigate to the folder containing PropView, locate the entry for PropView.exe , and double-click the entry. What happens?

Dave - I have a good workspace saved (I think). Perhaps the best solution is to delete all DXLab apps on this PC and then re-load from a new DX Launcher. Thoughts? . . . and not sure the control panel Uninstall will do it . . . so what other uninstallers would you suggest assuming you agree.?

+ Let's see what happens when you attempt to start a DXLab application from Windows Explorer.

+ If uninstalling your DXLab applications is the right next step, I trust Windows to attempt it. Over the years, I have lost trust in all third party uninstallers and "registry cleaners", though some users have had success with them.

Alan Swinger

Guess I am missing something in that I don't know how to open a dxlab app via Explorer, Chrome or Edge. Pls advise and I will do.
Tks - alan K9MBQ

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 4:33 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
Dave - I have a good workspace saved (I think). Perhaps the best solution is to delete all DXLab apps on this PC and then re-load from a new DX Launcher. Thoughts? . . . and not sure the control panel Uninstall will do it . . . so what other uninstallers would you suggest assuming you agree.?

+ Let's see what happens when you attempt to start a DXLab application from Windows Explorer.

+ If uninstalling your DXLab applications is the right next step, I trust Windows to attempt it. Over the years, I have lost trust in all third party uninstallers and "registry cleaners", though some users have had success with them.

Guess I am missing something in that I don't know how to open a dxlab app via Explorer, Chrome or Edge. Pls advise and I will do.

+ I'm suggesting that you open PropView with Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer or another web browser.

+ Using Windows Explorer to navigate to your PropView folder, locate the entry for PropView.exe, and double-click it.

Alan Swinger

Dave - Got it . . . navigated via file explorer to the C drive to DXLab and to Prop View. It shows apps (vice exe) so double clicked 1.9.9 and it opened all OK. Checked contents on my lap top where I have DXLab running all OK and data entries are the same.
What next? - Alan K9MBQ

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 8:04 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Guess I am missing something in that I don't know how to open a dxlab app via Explorer, Chrome or Edge. Pls advise and I will do.

+ I'm suggesting that you open PropView with Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer or another web browser.

+  Using Windows Explorer to navigate to your PropView folder, locate the entry for PropView.exe, and double-click it.

Dave - Got it . . . navigated via file explorer to the C drive to DXLab and to Prop View. It shows apps (vice exe) so double clicked 1.9.9 and it opened all OK. Checked contents on my lap top where I have DXLab running all OK and data entries are the same.

+ Do the same for each DXLab application:

CI-V Commander.exe

DXKeeper.exe

DXView.exe

Pathfinder.exe

SpotCollector.exe

WinWarbler.exe

+ Does each of them start correctly from Windows Explorer?

Alan Swinger

OK; here is what I see:
- Commander: Opens and shows the freq on my K3; Also a message that says Commander is already running
- DXK: opens, but message saying Unable to open log database - file does not exist . . .  but the mdb file is on the Desk Top (?)
- View - Opens OK
- Pathfinder - Opens but get a message - C:DXLab\pathfinder\search\prefixes.txt is missing; to obtain complete steps 7&8 of the Pathfinder/download/install.htm url
- Spot Collector: Opens after several messages - Program Files\DXLab spots mdb does not exist, and spots will not be collected
- WW: Opens after messages - RTTY cinfif error r e xcvr mode for AFSK LSB not being specified, and another re 2 Tone & how to fix.

Alan K9MBQ

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 6:39 AM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

Dave - Got it . . . navigated via file explorer to the C drive to DXLab and to Prop View. It shows apps (vice exe) so double clicked 1.9.9 and it opened all OK. Checked contents on my lap top where I have DXLab running all OK and data entries are the same.

+ Do the same for each DXLab application:

CI-V Commander.exe

DXKeeper.exe

DXView.exe

Pathfinder.exe

SpotCollector.exe

WinWarbler.exe

+ Does each of them start correctly  from Windows Explorer?

Alan Swinger

Also, for info in the Workspace "Current Folder". the following are listed:
DXLab
Intel
PerfLogs
Program Files
Program Files (x86)
Users
Windows

Alan K9MBQ

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 7:28 AM Alan Swinger via groups.io <alan.swinger=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I am at Town Meeting all day, so my response now will be brief. It appears that your applications were restored, but several files on which they depend were not restored. Locate copies of the missing files in your backups, and restore them.

Alan Swinger

Dave - Unless you advise otherwise, I think in the interest of time the best way forward is to Uninstall DXLab apps and then reload all via the Launcher. - Alan K9MBQ

On Sat, Sep 12, 2020 at 2:28 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
I am at Town Meeting all day, so my response now will be brief. It appears that your applications were restored, but several files on which they depend were not restored. Locate copies of the missing files in your backups, and restore them.

I advise otherwise.

Alan Swinger

Pls explain. Seems like starting over clean should be a good way to get up and running. . . rather than looking for missing files. is there some risk of uninstalling? - alan