Topics

DXLab Commander connection to HF-AUTO SW

Norm - KC1BMD

Edited

Terry Glagowski / W1TR developed an application called HFAUTO SW to control the Palstar HF-AUTO ATU. I installed it and connected to to DXLab Commander via the [Net Serv] configuration. Data is sent to the HF-AUTO using UDP. Commander allows selection of up to 4 radios and these radios can be selected manually in the HFAUTO SW using one of 4 radio buttons. Two other choices are "In Focus" radio and "Active" radio. It would be nice to eliminate the additional required radio selection by having Commander pass the information about what radio is "Active" to the HFAUTO SW. The HFAUTO SW documentation says: "DXLAB supports 4 radios but does not report the Radio in Focus or Active Radio in the RadioInfo UDP packet." Is this something that could be included in the data sent to the HFAUTO application via the port configured in the Commander [Net Serv] configuration, perhaps as an enhancement in a future release?

Ref: file:///C:/Apps/TGG_Systems/HFAUTO/HFAUTO_APP_SEC.htm#G_Radio (might need to cut & past link into browser)

--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

Joe Subich, W4TV

(might need to cut & past link into browser)
Nobody can read a file on your computer. Either post the file on
a file sharing site (without password) or provide a link to the
original location.

On 2021-02-26 7:13 PM, Norm - KC1BMD wrote:
[Edited Message Follows]
[...]
Ref: file:///C:/Apps/TGG_Systems/HFAUTO/HFAUTO_APP_SEC.htm#G_Radio <file:///C:/Apps/TGG_Systems/HFAUTO/HFAUTO_APP_SEC.htm#G_Radio> (might need to cut & past link into browser)
--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

Norm - KC1BMD

Sorry about that. I pasted that link without realizing it was not a web link but a link to my HDD! My question below can stand alone but this information provides a little more info. Hopefully this link works: https://i.postimg.cc/hGN7pCcD/HFAUTO-SW-radio-selection.png

<Text>

This collection of RadioButtons selects the Radio Number when the CAT control program is controlling multiple radios.

It is not acceptable to have the HFAUTO repeatedly retune to the frequencies of multiple radios that are in use.

The HF-AUTO ATU electrical circuit uses continuous L/C elements and not relay switched components so changing the L/C tuning solution is not instantaneous.

These controls are NOT ACTIVE for FLDIGI or Logger32 since these software applications only support a single radio in their UDP Packet.

These controls ARE ACTIVE for N1MM and DXLAB, allowing the user to select which radio the HFAUTO software will track with CAT CTRL.

DXLAB supports 4 radios but does not report the Radio in Focus or Active Radio in the RadioInfo UDP packet.

N1MM supports 2 radios, and reports whether a radio is Active or in Focus in the N1MM GUI in the RadioInfo UDP packet.

For N1MM, the user can select a specific radio, or the one that is in focus, or the one that is active.

--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

Dave AA6YQ

[...]

+ The current public version of Commander (15.0.1) reports Commander's currently-selected primary transceiver in the RadioInfo packet's RadioNr field, and identifies the RadioInfo packet's source as DXLab in the App field. Thus an app like HFAUTO SW that consumes RadioInfo packets from Commander can accurately determine which radio # is in use.

Norm - KC1BMD

Thanks, I notified Terry/W1TR. Maybe he will be able to enhance HFAUTO to work better with Commander.
--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

Thanks, I notified Terry/W1TR. Maybe he will be able to enhance HFAUTO to work better with Commander.

+ Terry and I worked together when I first extended Commander to optionally generate N1MM-style RadioInfo packets. His HFAUTO application was one of the first to exploit this capability. Terry knows how to get my help if he needs it.

Jon Gefaell

On Fri, Feb 26, 2021 at 04:13 PM, Norm - KC1BMD wrote:
Terry Glagowski / W1TR developed an application called HFAUTO SW to control the Palstar HF-AUTO ATU. I installed it and connected to to DXLab Commander via the [Net Serv] configuration.
How very nice! I've downloaded and installed it. Thanks for the heads up. Can you tell me more about the [Net Serv] configuration, please?

Terry Glagowski / W1TR developed an application called HFAUTO SW to control the Palstar HF-AUTO ATU. I installed it and connected to to DXLab Commander via the [Net Serv] configuration.

How very nice! I've downloaded and installed it. Thanks for the heads up. Can you tell me more about the [Net Serv] configuration, please?

+ If you're asking how to configure Commander's UDP Network Service, see "Commander: Network Service" in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/commander/Help/NetworkService.htm#UDP_Network_Service

Jon Gefaell

Oh, I get it. For some reason, I thought it had something to do with connecting to the HF-Auto. This connects Commander to the HF-Auto SW. So, I'll use a USB serial adapter to connect the tuner. Thank you!

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 06:07 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:
+ If you're asking how to configure Commander's UDP Network Service, see "Commander: Network Service" in

Norm - KC1BMD

Jon, perhaps you have the HFAUTO SW already and understand it's usage but, just to be clear, a serial cable from the PC will not do anything without the HFAUTO SW.
--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

Jon Gefaell

Hello Norm, thanks for introducing me to the HFAUTO SW. Looks fantastic, and I've got no idea exactly how to use it to its best, but I can't wait to hook up the serial port, perhaps tomorrow. I've got it installed, and talking to Commander. But that's it until I get the serial connection to the Palstar. Then it will come alive on both ends, so to speak, and my HF-AUTO will become computer-controlled. You've no idea how much this pleases me!

Until now, the only use I knew of was for a firmware upgrade. Though, since I knew there was a remote, I should have realized someone had reverse-engineered the API. Or is it published? Similarly the ethernet interface to the Icom 7610. That is not published and the only thing available for it is the Icom RS-BA1 software. But there is a group actively reverse engineering and creating an API for it. I can't wait to see the fruit of their efforts.

Thanks again and best regards!

[...]

+ Palstar has provided HF-Auto API documentation to Terry W1TR, but no one else.

Norm - KC1BMD

On Sun, Feb 28, 2021 at 12:09 AM, Jon Gefaell wrote:

[...]

You need a straight-thru serial cable (DB9-M to DB9-F) or you can use a USB-to-Serial adapter (FTDI chipset preferred).
The application has a "Help" selection to get the documentation (which is located in the installation folder).
Join this group if you have not already. Terry posts there regularly: https://groups.io/g/hf-auto/

--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

Jon Gefaell

Edited

The USB <-> Serial cable I ordered arrived today. I excitedly routed it from the Palstar to the computer and started the HFAUTO SW and Voila, it works a charm. How fantastic. Thank you again, Norm. And Dave for baking in support in DX Lab Suite. What a great upgrade for my shack.