Topics

DXKeeper + WSJT-X but no DXCommander

The Hempsteads

Hi,
   Has anyone run this configuration?   I just installed DXLab suite, and I want to use DxKeeper with my WSJT-X program.  I don't need, or really want, DxCommander being in between WSJT-X and my IC-7300.    Has anyone run their setup this way?   If so, did they use JTAlert?  or did they use SpotCollector?

Thanks,
Dave Hempstead
WA1RCT

Dale Schwartz

I was just told by someone that if you run DX Commander, your FT-8 logging program will automatically put your QSOs into SX Keeper. I haven’t gotten this to work yet.
    But yesterday was my first day on FR-8. Bands showed very little on SSB, but I have been working Kenya, Ecuador, Brazil, Japan,etc. on 18 and 10 meters. Beginning to like FT-8 even tho I do t think of it as “real” ham radio.
                         Same/K4ROZ

Dale M. Schwartz

SCHWARTZ | POSEL

Immigration Law Group

Suite 450 RiverEdge One

5500 Interstate North Pkwy., NW

Atlanta, GA 30328

Tel:   770 951-1100

Fax: 770 951-1113
www.immlawfirm.com

   PAST PRESIDENT: AMERICAN
IMMIGRATION LAWYERS ASS'N
  ADJUNCT PROFESSOR: EMORY UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF LAW (1989-2014)

On Jun 3, 2020, at 3:09 PM, The Hempsteads via groups.io <dbhempstead@...> wrote:

Hi,
   Has anyone run this configuration?   I just installed DXLab suite, and I want to use DxKeeper with my WSJT-X program.  I don't need, or really want, DxCommander being in between WSJT-X and my IC-7300.    Has anyone run their setup this way?   If so, did they use JTAlert?  or did they use SpotCollector?

Thanks,
Dave Hempstead
WA1RCT

Dale Schwartz

Why can’t I type worth a damn!

On Jun 3, 2020, at 3:16 PM, Dale Schwartz via groups.io <dale@...> wrote:

[...]

John Kludt

Dave,

Yes, I ran it that way with JTAlters and it worked fine.  So it was DXKeeper, JTAlerts, WSJT-X and the radio.  I now run it with the full DXLabs  suite running but the former worked fine for my needs early on.

John

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 3:09 PM The Hempsteads <dbhempstead@...> wrote:
Hi,
   Has anyone run this configuration?   I just installed DXLab suite, and I want to use DxKeeper with my WSJT-X program.  I don't need, or really want, DxCommander being in between WSJT-X and my IC-7300.    Has anyone run their setup this way?   If so, did they use JTAlert?  or did they use SpotCollector?

Thanks,
Dave Hempstead
WA1RCT

Elmer Steingass

Dale:

If I try to run Commander while running WSJT-X a conflict occurs between Commander and the utility in WSJT-X that controls the radio.  I just import the WSJT-X log into DXKeeper after my FT-8 operating session.  You can save the log as an ADIF which DXKeeper will import.

73..............de Goose, W8AV

[...]

BILL KENNAMER

You can use DXCommander as a radio choice in WSJT-X. There will be no conflict if you do that. Also, you can run JT Alert with WSJT-X, and it will log directly to DX Keeper.  All menu choices in WSJT and JT Alert.

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020, 2:38 PM, Elmer Steingass via groups.io <W8AV@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks,  I'll fire that up tonight.  Sounds like a good way to start.  Once I get comfortable with all this software I may try using more of the suite.

With that configuration (DXKeeper, JTAlert, and WSJT-X) did you use Spot Collector at all?  Would it provide any capabilities (even if it wasn't catching the logs directly from WSJT-X)?

g4wjs

On 03/06/2020 19:24, The Hempsteads wrote:
Hi,
   Has anyone run this configuration?   I just installed DXLab suite, and I want to use DxKeeper with my WSJT-X program. I don't need, or really want, DxCommander being in between WSJT-X and my IC-7300.    Has anyone run their setup this way?  If so, did they use JTAlert?  or did they use SpotCollector?

Thanks,
Dave Hempstead
WA1RCT
Hi Dave,

have you read and digested this article and those it links to? If you are running Commander for rig control then select "Settings->Radio->Rir->DX Lab Suite Commander" and "Settings->Radio->PTT Method->CAT" in WSJT-X. For logging and other capabilities you can either use JTAlert to bridge between WSJT-X and DXKeeper, or you can use SpotCollector with WSJT-X enabled a spot source to provide similar facilities. Each of those setups have their pros and cons, try them all and decide which suits your needs.

Bill

G4WJS.

g4wjs

On 03/06/2020 21:44, g4wjs wrote:
[...]

Helps if I provide the link: https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStartedwithK1JTModes

Bill

G4WJS.

BILL KENNAMER

I don’t ever use spot collector. I only need two contacts.

But Commander can be used as a radio choice, and in my opinion does it better than the native WSJT application, plus you can go to CQ or SSB without having to stop the WSJT control and restart commander.

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020, 3:09 PM, The Hempsteads <dbhempstead@...> wrote:

Thanks,  I'll fire that up tonight.  Sounds like a good way to start.  Once I get comfortable with all this software I may try using more of the suite.

With that configuration (DXKeeper, JTAlert, and WSJT-X) did you use Spot Collector at all?  Would it provide any capabilities (even if it wasn't catching the logs directly from WSJT-X)?

I was just told by someone that if you run DX Commander, your FT-8 logging program will automatically put your QSOs into DX Keeper. I haven’t gotten this to work yet.

But yesterday was my first day on FR-8. Bands showed very little on SSB, but I have been working Kenya, Ecuador, Brazil, Japan,etc. on 18 and 10 meters. Beginning to like FT-8 even tho I do t think of it as “real” ham radio.

+ As Bill G4WJS pointed out, there are two supported means by which WSJT-X can interoperate with DXLab: directly, and using JT-Alert. Descriptions of each are available hereL:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStartedwithK1JTModes>

+ The primary difference is that the direct interoperation references DXLab's "Realtime Award Tracking" mechanism to identify active stations with whom a confirmed QSO would advance your DXCC, IOTA, Leaderboard, Marathon, WAS, WAZ, or WPX award progress -- including the results of QSOs made in CW, SSB, RTTY, PSK, and other digital modes. JTAlert provides an independent award tracking mechanism for K1JT modes.

Peter Laws / N5UWY

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 2:16 PM Dale Schwartz <dale@...> wrote:

But yesterday was my first day on FR-8. Bands showed very little on SSB, but I have been working Kenya, Ecuador, Brazil, Japan,etc. on 18 and 10 meters. Beginning to like FT-8 even tho I do t think of it as “real” ham radio.

Whaaaaaattt?? Possibly the best mode ever!!

No "brag tapes" as ruined PSK31. As close to objective signal reports
as we are likely to get. No rag-chewing. Just callsigns, QTH,
signals. And limiting the universe of possible characters (legal
calls, grids incl fake ones like RR73, and signal reports) combined
with a strict your-turn-my-turn sequence means that the decoder can
really dig deep.

It's WONDERFUL! Worked WAS-FT8 (all on 30 m) in the 30 days after I
first tried the mode. It's AWESOME!

For me.

Dale Schwartz

PETER: Thanks for your insights!
   I am a lawyer. You know, we charge by the word. So I’m a rag chewer. FT-8 doesn’t allow for this. Whatever floats your boat.....
                   Dale/K4ROZ

On Jun 3, 2020, at 6:14 PM, Peter Laws / N5UWY via groups.io <plaws0@...> wrote:

On Wed, Jun 3, 2020 at 2:16 PM Dale Schwartz <dale@...> wrote:

   But yesterday was my first day on FR-8. Bands showed very little on SSB, but I have been working Kenya, Ecuador, Brazil, Japan,etc. on 18 and 10 meters. Beginning to like FT-8 even tho I do t think of it as “real” ham radio.

Whaaaaaattt??  Possibly the best mode ever!!

No "brag tapes" as ruined PSK31.  As close to objective signal reports
as we are likely to get.  No rag-chewing.  Just callsigns, QTH,
signals. And limiting the universe of possible characters (legal
calls, grids incl fake ones like  RR73, and signal reports) combined
with a strict your-turn-my-turn sequence means that the decoder can
really dig deep.

It's WONDERFUL!  Worked WAS-FT8 (all on 30 m) in the 30 days after I
first tried the mode.  It's AWESOME!

For me.

Ray,WD5DHK

If you use GridTracker, it will log to Dxkeeper without needing to use anything else. It can also upload to many online services such as lots and hrdlog.
73 de WD5DHK Ray

g4wjs

On 04/06/2020 14:41, Ray,WD5DHK wrote:
If you use GridTracker, it will log to Dxkeeper without needing to use anything else. It can also upload to many online services such as lots and hrdlog.
73 de WD5DHK Ray
Ray,

that is a strange assertion. None of the other options, SpotCollector, JTAlert, require anything else either. They are all doing basically the same job with respect to logging to DXKeeper and updating on-line services, i.e. acting as a bridge between WSJT-X and DXKeeper. Prospective users should try each, and decide based on other features provided, which is best for their needs.

Bill

G4WJS.

Pat

you will want to be careful if running GridTracker to log for you..
with the other programs running it can me 2 entry's in in DxKeeper.
I turned off GT for logging...
for Jtalert was also logging the same qso's.
to awhile to clear out the dupes

Carl - WC4H

GridTracker is good if you use MSHV as well as WSJT-X and/or JTDX (or if you use just MSHV).  It lets you define an ADIF file as one of the logs.  So by defining wsjtx_log.adi as that file, it keeps your WSJT-X log up to date without importing and exporting.

73.
Carl - WC4H

If you use GridTracker, it will log to Dxkeeper without needing to use anything else. It can also upload to many online services such as lots and hrdlog.

+ DXKeeper's LoTW automation depends on each QSO accurately reflecting its LOTW status. Using another application to submit QSOs to LoTW behind DXKeeper's back should be avoided. See

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSLingLotW>

neil_zampella

FWIW .. you can do the same with JT-Alert ... just use an ADIF file.

Neil, KN3ILZ

On 6/4/2020 11:40 AM, Carl - WC4H via groups.io wrote:

GridTracker is good if you use MSHV as well as WSJT-X and/or JTDX (or if you use just MSHV).  It lets you define an ADIF file as one of the logs.  So by defining wsjtx_log.adi as that file, it keeps your WSJT-X log up to date without importing and exporting.

73.
Carl - WC4H

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Carl - WC4H

Hi Neil.

I was trying to highlight that GridTracker is good for those using MSHV.  JTAlerts does not support mshv any more.

SpotCollector will post to DXKeeper from MSHV.  GridTracker will post to DXKeeper and add QSO's to the wsjtx_log.adi file.

EIther SpotCollector or GridTracker will upload to LoTW, eQSL and Clublog.  GridTracker will also upload to HRDlog, QRZ and cloudlog.

73.
Carl - WC4H