DXKeeper Questions

Mike Flowers

Hi Folks,

Last night when I was shutting down the station, I uploaded my ‘Requested’ log entries to LotW.   DXKeeper popped up a dialogue box telling me that the time for my FT8 QSO with CE6CGX was 00:00:00 and that I should update the time and resubmit this QSO to LotW.  I made a note to fix it and closed down.

This morning at startup, I received this dialogue box message twice.   So, I thought that there had been some issue when WSJT-X > JTAlert > DXKeeper had logged the QSO.  So, I searched through the WSJT-X ALL.TXT file:

210130_000030    18.100 Rx FT8    -17 -0.0 2544 W6JH JR1MVA R-17

210130_000045    18.100 Tx FT8      0  0.0 1367 CE6CGX K6MKF CM97     <<<

210130_000100    18.100 Rx FT8     28  0.0 2179 CQ W6CYX CM97

210130_000100    18.100 Rx FT8     -4  0.3 1090 KA3MFN PY5AP -12

210130_000100    18.100 Rx FT8    -15 -0.0 1365 K6MKF CE6CGX -13      <<<

210130_000100    18.100 Rx FT8    -15  0.1 2630 N8HC JE2LPC R-16

210130_000100    18.100 Rx FT8     -8  0.4 1945 N8HC JA3ADW PM74

210130_000100    18.100 Rx FT8    -13 -0.2 1670 PY3KN JA7OWB -16

210130_000100    18.100 Rx FT8    -18 -0.1  966 CQ W6RPM CM98

210130_000100    18.100 Rx FT8    -16 -0.0 2543 W6JH JR1MVA 73

210130_000100    18.100 Rx FT8    -11  0.0 1088 CQ K8SQB CM96

210130_000100    18.100 Rx FT8    -21  0.3 1578 AA7CT JA2TKG PM84

210130_000115    18.100 Tx FT8      0  0.0 1367 CE6CGX K6MKF R-15     <<<

210130_000130    18.100 Rx FT8    -16 -0.0 1365 K6MKF CE6CGX RR73     <<<

My QSO began at 210130_000045 and I logged it at 210130_000130.

I edited this QSO in DXKeeper to a start time of 00:01:00 and uploaded it to LotW.

Now LotW has these entries for my CE6CGX QSOs:

Details           K6MKF          CE6CGX         2021-01-30 00:01:00        17M   FT8     18.10137      <<< my edited QSO

Details           K6MKF          CE6CGX         2021-01-30 00:00:00        17M   FT8     18.10137      <<< my original QSO

My questions are:

  1. Am I missing a DXKeeper parameter that will allow me to capture the seconds value in QSO time?
  2. Why did DXKeeper detect and report this as an issue?

I’m curious!   Thanks.

Last night when I was shutting down the station, I uploaded my 'Requested' log entries to LotW. DXKeeper popped up a dialogue box
telling me that the time for my FT8 QSO with CE6CGX was 00:00:00 and that I should update the time and resubmit this QSO to LotW. I
made a note to fix it and closed down.

+ The only message containing the word "resubmit" that DXKeeper displays to the user is presented after you've modified an item in a
logged QSO that impacts eQSL or LoTW - like its DXCC entity or band. Do you recall the exact text of the message?

1. Am I missing a DXKeeper parameter that will allow me to capture the seconds value in QSO time?

+ DXKeeper always records QSO_Begin and QSO_End times to the seconds, though not all applications that direct DXKeeper to log QSOs
specify those times to the second.

+ Whether or not DXKeeper displays the seconds in QSO_Begin and QSO_End times of logged QSOs is controlled by the "Display seconds
in date/time fields" setting in the upper-left corner of the Options panel on the Configuration window's General tab.

2. Why did DXKeeper detect and report this as an issue?

+ I need the exact text of the notification in order to answer your question.

Mike Flowers

I think the message said that the starting time for this QSO had been set to
'00:00:00' and that I should edit it and resubmit it to LotW.

It was late when I first saw the message, then I was a bit foggy this
morning when I saw it again - twice.

If this ever occurs again, I'll be sure to take a screen shot!

[...]

+ AA6YQ comment sbelow

I think the message said that the starting time for this QSO had been set to '00:00:00' and that I should edit it and resubmit it to
LotW.

It was late when I first saw the message, then I was a bit foggy this morning when I saw it again - twice.

If this ever occurs again, I'll be sure to take a screen shot!

+ Please do!

Steve, N5EP

Dave,

Today I got a similar message for a QSO that I uploaded to LoTW on 10/17/2011.  The message was displayed when I selected the  QSO in the DXKeeper log page display.   As far as I know, I never modified it after uploading it, but it says the QSO_Begin time was changed at 2011-10-17 00:00:00.  Since it might be too much of a coincidence that the hours, minutes, and seconds were set to the same zero values that Mike reported, I thought I should provide you with the complete message in case it might be helpful, so here it is:

> Changed item in QSO already uploaded to LoTW
>
> changed QSO_Begin item in QSO with W9WE at 2011-10-17 00:00:00 on 40M in CW
>
> after completing and saving changes, resubmit this QSO to LoTW.

Steve, N5EP

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below:
Today I got a similar message for a QSO that I uploaded to LoTW on 10/17/2011.  The message was displayed when I selected the  QSO in the DXKeeper log page display.   As far as I know, I never modified it after uploading it, but it says the QSO_Begin time was changed at 2011-10-17 00:00:00.  Since it might be too much of a coincidence that the hours, minutes, and seconds were set to the same zero values that Mike reported, I thought I should provide you with the complete message in case it might be helpful, so here it is:

> Changed item in QSO already uploaded to LoTW
>
> changed QSO_Begin item in QSO with W9WE at 2011-10-17 00:00:00 on 40M in CW
>
> after completing and saving changes, resubmit this QSO to LoTW.

+ DXKeeper displays that message when it detects that you have made an "LoTW-significant" change to a QSO that has already been submitted to LoTW.

+ What actions did you take leading up to the appearance of that  message?

+ What is currently shown in the QSO_Begin item of that W9WE QSO?

Dale Drake

I’ve had the same thing (existing QSO already uploaded to Lotw with a time of 0000z) happen twice that I can remember.  When I re-uploaded it to Lotw the same massage appeared again.  As I recall I had the edit the time and re-upload it again to make it stop.  I can’t remember any other details but when it happens again I’ll be sure to jot down the details and post them here.

Dale AA1QD

Dale Drake

I was able to reproduce the similar behavior (QSO logged as 0000z begin & end time) I saw b4.  I uploaded a screen shot.   I created a fake QSO and logged it with WW. I then went into DXK and edited both the begin and end times to be 00:00:00z.   I then attempted a bath upload of that QSO along with a few other valid QSO's to LotW. The results are shown in the screenshot.

Hope this is helpful.

73,

Dale, AA1QD

Steve, N5EP

Dave,

+ DXKeeper displays that message when it detects that you have made an "LoTW-significant" change to a QSO that has already been submitted to LoTW.

>> Understood.

+ What actions did you take leading up to the appearance of that  message?

>> I created and ran a new SQL Query Filter to identify CW QSOs with Illinois stations that were not part of a contest:   (State='IL') and (Mode='CW') and Contest_ID=''
With the log display so filtered, I scrolled through the listing, and when I came to the one for W9WE, the warning message popped up.  I did not make any modifications to the QSO.  I don't recall making any modifications to it previously, but of course it has been over nine years since uploading it to LoTW.

+ What is currently shown in the QSO_Begin item of that W9WE QSO?

>> 10/17/2011  00:00

Today I logged into lotw.arrl.org and pulled up the record for that QSO.  The only difference in the data is that in LoTW the ITU Zone is listed as 08, and in DXKeeper there is no value assigned for ITU Zone.  All other data fields are identical, including the Date/Time 2011-10-17 00:00:00.
The record was received by LoTW on 2011-10-17 04:04:01.

However, it appears that LoTW must assign the ITU Zone automatically, because I have other QSOs from around that date that all have the ITU Zone assigned in LoTW but not in DXKeeper, and in these cases I don't get a warning message when I select one of in the Log Page Display.

73,

Steve, N5EP

Steve, N5EP

Dave, please ignore the last two paragraphs of my last posting on this subject.  The ITU Zone listed in LoTW is my ITU Zone, not that of the Worked Station.  So I cannot find any difference between what is recorded for that QSO in DXKeeper and what is in LoTW.

Sorry for the confusion.

[...]

* Thanks, Steve! The evidence that you and Dale AA1QD have provided implies that DXKeeper will erroneously warn you to re-submit a modified QSO to LoTW if that QSO's QSO_Begin time item happens to be 00:00:00. I am investigating.

I was able to reproduce the similar behavior (QSO logged as 0000z begin & end time) I saw b4. I uploaded a screen shot. I created a fake QSO and logged it with WW.

+ When you logged the QSO with WinWarbler, was the QSO uploaded to LoTW?

Dale Drake

The QSO was not uploaded to LoTW when I logged it with WW.

In WW config on the Log tab “Upload to LoTW when logging” was not checked.

To upload the QSO to LoTW I right clicked the QSO in DXK and selected “Add entry to QSL Queue (Lotw)” along with several other QSO’s (not logged at 00:00:00) then in the DXK QSL tab I clicked the “Upload to LotW” radio button.  That produced the screen shot I previously uploaded.

Additionally if I now click on the subject QSO in DXK I get the popup “ Changed item in QSO already uploaded to LoTW, changed QSO_Begin item in QSO with N1STB at 2021-03-11 00:00:00 on 40M in CW, after completing and saving changes, resubmit this QSO to LoTW”  despite having made no changes to the QSO.

Dale AA1QD

N6MZ Michael Mraz

Edited

I was reconciling DXCC verified credits this week and saw the same behavior. When I filtered the log on a DXCC country prefix, if the selected QSO in the filtered list had 00:00:00 as the begin time, the "Changed item in QSO already uploaded to LoTW" appeared immediately. It also appeared every time I selected that QSO again, i.e. when I pushed the |< or >| buttons to move to the top or bottom of the list. DXKeeper v15.9.9.

The QSO was not uploaded to LoTW when I logged it with WW.

In WW config on the Log tab "Upload to LoTW when logging" was not checked.

To upload the QSO to LoTW I right clicked the QSO in DXK and selected "Add entry to QSL Queue (Lotw)" along with several other QSO's
(not logged at 00:00:00) then in the DXK QSL tab I clicked the "Upload to LotW" radio button. That produced the screen shot I
previously uploaded.

Additionally if I now click on the subject QSO in DXK I get the popup " Changed item in QSO already uploaded to LoTW, changed
QSO_Begin item in QSO with N1STB at 2021-03-11 00:00:00 on 40M in CW, after completing and saving changes, resubmit this QSO to
LoTW" despite having made no changes to the QSO.

+ Thanks, Dale!

I was reconciling DXCC verified credits this week and saw the same behavior. When I filtered the log on a DXCC country prefix, if the selected QSO in the filtered list had 00:00:00 as the begin time, the "Changed item in QSO already uploaded to LoTW" appeared immediately. It also appeared every time I selected that QSO again, i.e. when I pushed the |< or >| buttons to move to the top or bottom of the list. DXKeeper v15.9.9.

+ Thanks, Mike. Until I track down and correct the responsible defect, you can uncheck the "Prompt on change to logged QSO already uploaded to eQSL.cc and/or LoTW" option on the "QSL Configuration window's General tab.

Scott Stembaugh

Dave,

I hate to jump into the fray with this, but this happened to me when on 30M FT8 just now.  I double clicked on DP1POL in WSJT-X Band Activity window and JTAlert (2.16.16) directed DXKeeper to do a previous QSO lookup and a pop-up box came up:

"Changed QSO_Begin item with DP1POL at 2018-12-19 00:00:00 on 40M FT8 in FT8

after completing and saving changes, resubmit this QSO to both eQSL.cc and LOTW"

When I restored my log from a previous backup the QSO date/time actually was 2018-12-19 00:00:00, so nothing was changed.  When I search for and find the log record the pop-up displayed again.

I understand I can disable the pop-up.  This is just another data point for you.

73,
--scott

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 1:25 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

+ Thanks, Scott!

I have identified and corrected the defect responsible for QSOs with start or end times of 00:00:00Z erroneously triggering the "you're changing a QSO already submitted to eQSL or LoTW" warning. The defect was a regression in a defect repair included with the current public release (15.9.9).

Thanks to all who reported this behavior, going back to Mike K6MKF, who initiated this thread! I've sent all of you a version of DXKeeper with the defect corrected; please let me know how it goes.