DXKeeper - MSWINSCK.OCX #technicalhelpquestion

dave02k1scn

Hi Dave,

First of all thanks in advance for all that you do.

My problem is that I have tried to install DXKeeper on a new machine.

I thought that I payed careful attention the directions on the wiki, but I get this error:

2023-01-29 18:19:45.737 > TCPServerModule.CheckWinSock: unable to register MSWINSCK.OCX: File not found: mswinsck.ocx

There is no MSWINSCK.OCX file in the DxKeeper directory.

Also, looking at the ST6UNST file, it does not show that the file was ever called for.

Examined the forum for similar MSWINSCK.OCX problems, and have also tried running the DXKeeper without utilizing the Launcher and with Admin privileges all with similar results.

Thanks, again,
Dave

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6yQ comments below

First of all thanks in advance for all that you do.

My problem is that I have tried to install DXKeeper on a new machine.

I thought that I payed careful attention the directions on the wiki, but I get this error:

2023-01-29 18:19:45.737 > TCPServerModule.CheckWinSock: unable to register MSWINSCK.OCX: File not found: mswinsck.ocx

There is no MSWINSCK.OCX file in the DxKeeper directory.

Also, looking at the ST6UNST file, it does not show that the file was ever called for.

+ Initial installation of DXKeeper - like the installation of all DXLab applications - is a two-step process: first, the Launcher installs an ancient full release of the application, and then it updates that installation with the most recent update.

+ In the case of DXKeeper, that ancient full release is version 7.1.9, which was released in 2009 and did not use MSWINSCK.OCX; that's why this file is not present in the ST6UNST file.

+ When DXKeeper began using MSWINSCK.OCK, it was included with every subsequent update. When started, these subsequent versions checked to see if MSWINSCK.OCX is installed; if not, they installed it.

+ At some point in the past, MSWINSCK.OCX was inadvertently deleted from the set of files included with each DXKeeper update. Apparently no one noticed, I assume because Commander installs MSWINSCK.OCX and most new users start by installing Commander.

+ I have updated the self-installing archive for DXKeeper 17.0.0 to include MSWINSCK.OCX, so no one should encounter this problem again.

+ You can obtain MSWINSCK.OCX by downloading the zip archive from

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/MSWINSCK.zip

+ Terminate DXKeeper, extract MSWINSCK.OCX from the downloaded archive into your DXKeeper folder, and start DXKeeper. Does DXKeeper now start and run correctly?

+ Thanks for bringing this to my attention, Dave!