DXKeeper, LOTW and counties

Björn SM7IUN

I recently noted a few QSO as "broke" after downloading LOTW confirmations.

The inconsistency has been for stations obviously working from a location different
than their QRZ.com entry states.

I have DXKeeper to always extract details from QRZ.com for logged QSO.
I also have it set to overwrite details (grid, state, etc.) with that included in
the LOTW confirmation. State, grid, zones, etc. is updated but it seems the
county is not, although it is part of the LOTW confirmation record.

When e.g. W1VE (who is NH, Cheshire on QRZ:com) confirms a
QSO as VT, Bennington, DXKeeper ends up saying VT, Cheshire and
flags the QSO as broke.

Is this by design or have I simply missed a setting?

Björn

I recently noted a few QSO as "broke" after downloading LOTW confirmations.

The inconsistency has been for stations obviously working from a location different than their QRZ.com entry states.

I have DXKeeper to always extract details from QRZ.com for logged QSO.

I also have it set to overwrite details (grid, state, etc.) with that included in the LOTW confirmation. State, grid, zones, etc. is updated but it seems the county is not, although it is part of the LOTW confirmation record.

When e.g. W1VE (who is NH, Cheshire on QRZ:com) confirms a QSO as VT, Bennington, DXKeeper ends up saying VT, Cheshire and flags the QSO as broke.

Is this by design or have I simply missed a setting?

+ Since I also logged a QSO with my friend Gerry W1VE when he was operating from VT, it's easy to determine what happened:

1. you logged a QSO with W1VE with a QRZ-supplied state and county of NH, Cheshire.

2. the "Station Location" that Gerry used to submit your QSO specified a state of VT, but makes no provision for Gerry to specify his US county.

3. when you invoked "Sync LoTW QSLs" or "Update from LoTW", DXKeeper informed you that it changed the QSO's state from NH to VT, but the report does not include of "county", so DXKeeper couldn't update that.

4. the QSO was flagged as broken because the specified state and county became inconsistent

+ Should DXKeeper automatically clear the QSO's county item in this case? DXKeeper doesn't do that because it might be destroying data; what if Gerry really was operating from NH, but used the wrong LoTW "Station Location" to submit the QSO?

+ Whenever "Sync LoTW QSLs" or "Update from LoTW" report changing an item of a logged QSO's location information, one should examine the QSO's other location items to be sure they are accurate..

Björn SM7IUN

Thanks Dave,

If the CNTY key is missing from the ADIF response from LOTW i think DXKeeper is
doing the right thing in not clearing the field.

Could there be a problem with the W1VE LOTW account? Or a defect in LOTW itself?
In LOTW's ADIF response for W1VE QSL the county is missing and the grid reported
only has four positions.

When I do the same thing with, say, Tim N3QE, LOTW reports both the county and a six position grid.

Björn SM7IUN

Den lör 13 feb. 2021 kl 05:53 skrev Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...>:

+ AA6YQ comments below

[...]

Ignore my last post. I just found that the W1VE LOTW confirmations are not consistent
over time. The most recent ones indeed lack a county and only has a four position grid,
also in the web interface.

Consider this case closed.

Björn