Topics

DxKeeper Import error

Panagiotis Klimis

I am trying to import various ADIF files in DxKeeper  and they all fail with a message saying that files are already open. I am sure no applications that could be using these ADIF files are open. I even  tried importing after a system reboot and opening only DxKeeper right after the reboot, with no luck. In the past I have imported files many times, using the same method I tried now. I just can't figure out what (if anything) changed, resulting in the current behavior.  Any help appreciated.

Thank you,
Panos
73 de SV8PMM

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 9:30 AM Panagiotis Klimis <sv8pmm@gmail.com> wrote:

I am trying to import various ADIF files in DxKeeper and they all fail with a message saying that files are already open. I am sure no applications that could be using these ADIF files are open. I even tried importing after a system reboot and opening only DxKeeper right after the reboot, with no luck. In the past I have imported files many times, using the same method I tried now. I just can't figure out what (if anything) changed, resulting in the current behavior. Any help appreciated.
What is the exact text of the error message?

Also describe the steps that you're using to attempt the import.

73,

~iain / N6ML

Panagiotis Klimis

Hi Iain,

From the "Import QSOs" tab, I click the "Start" button, then choose the file that I am trying to import and get the message "Unable to open file C:\..........adi - File already open". This happens with various different ADIF files, generated from different applications.

Thank you,

Panos SV8PMM

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 9:45 AM Panagiotis Klimis <sv8pmm@gmail.com> wrote:
From the "Import QSOs" tab, I click the "Start" button, then choose the file that I am trying to import and get the message "Unable to open file C:\..........adi - File already open". This happens with various different ADIF files, generated from different applications.
That's strange. Can you open these ADIF files with Notepad?

I'm guessing it may be some sort of permissions issue. Perhaps try
copying the file to your Desktop, then importing it from there?

73,

~iain / N6ML

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 9:45 AM Panagiotis Klimis <sv8pmm@gmail.com> wrote:
From the "Import QSOs" tab, I click the "Start" button, then choose the file that I am trying to import and get the message "Unable to open file C:\..........adi - File already open". This happens with various different ADIF files, generated from different applications.
That's strange. Can you open these ADIF files with Notepad?

I'm guessing it may be some sort of permissions issue. Perhaps try copying the file to your Desktop, then importing it from there?

+ The "can't open file because it is already open" complaint comes from Windows, which is evidently confused. As a next step, I suggest rebooting Windows.

iain macdonnell - N6ML

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 10:53 AM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 9:45 AM Panagiotis Klimis <sv8pmm@gmail.com> wrote:
From the "Import QSOs" tab, I click the "Start" button, then choose the file that I am trying to import and get the message "Unable to open file C:\..........adi - File already open". This happens with various different ADIF files, generated from different applications.
That's strange. Can you open these ADIF files with Notepad?

I'm guessing it may be some sort of permissions issue. Perhaps try copying the file to your Desktop, then importing it from there?

+ The "can't open file because it is already open" complaint comes from Windows, which is evidently confused. As a next step, I suggest rebooting Windows.
The OP noted "I even tried importing after a system reboot and
opening only DxKeeper right after the reboot, with no luck."

73,

~iain / N6ML

Dave AA6YQ

* AA6YQ comments below

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 10:53 AM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 9:45 AM Panagiotis Klimis <sv8pmm@gmail.com> wrote:
From the "Import QSOs" tab, I click the "Start" button, then choose the file that I am trying to import and get the message "Unable to open file C:\..........adi - File already open". This happens with various different ADIF files, generated from different applications.
That's strange. Can you open these ADIF files with Notepad?

I'm guessing it may be some sort of permissions issue. Perhaps try copying the file to your Desktop, then importing it from there?

+ The "can't open file because it is already open" complaint comes from Windows, which is evidently confused. As a next step, I suggest rebooting Windows.
The OP noted "I even tried importing after a system reboot and opening only DxKeeper right after the reboot, with no luck."

+ Then you're right, Iain, there some sort of Windows permission problem that is preventing DXKeeper from opening the files in question.