DXKeeper: How to log azimuth? ANT_AZ not populating in log

Neal Pollack

Hi:

I am running the latest DXKeeper, v16.0.7.  I added a new column today for ANT_AZ in my log display.
I am hoping to record/display the bearing to the other station in my log.

I next went to the DXKeeper CONFIG button, DEFAULTS tab, and made sure that "Antenna Path" said "S".
On this DEFAULTS tab, my QTH LAT and LONG are set.  Format is like 33 48' 45" N.
All of my QSO's from today do show a value in the "GRID 1" field on the log award sub-panel.

But, the ANT_AZ column does not populate.    I searched previous topics here and can't find
what I am missing?
Please note I am only using DXKeeper and WSJT-X, and do not have other DXLABs apps open
due to screen real estate.

Thanks,
Neal  N6YFM

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

I am running the latest DXKeeper, v16.0.7.  I added a new column today for ANT_AZ in my log display.
I am hoping to record/display the bearing to the other station in my log.

I next went to the DXKeeper CONFIG button, DEFAULTS tab, and made sure that "Antenna Path" said "S".
On this DEFAULTS tab, my QTH LAT and LONG are set.  Format is like 33 48' 45" N.
All of my QSO's from today do show a value in the "GRID 1" field on the log award sub-panel.

But, the ANT_AZ column does not populate.    I searched previous topics here and can't find
what I am missing?
Please note I am only using DXKeeper and WSJT-X, and do not have other DXLABs apps open
due to screen real estate.

+ As described in the "Azimuth and Antenna Path" section of

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSODistance

+ DXView must also be running. You can keep its windows minimized (off-screen) to conserve screen space.

Dave, AA6YQ

Neal Pollack

Hi Dave:

I tried running DXView along side DXKeeper, and have the option clicked on the Rotor Tab, since I don't use rotor control.
When I tried making two QSOs, I noticed that DXView does indeed show short and long path headings to the remote station.
But the column in DXKeeper for ANT_AZ is not populating.

Is there some additional setting that needs to be made?

Cheers,

Neal
N6YFM

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

I tried running DXView along side DXKeeper, and have the option clicked on the Rotor Tab, since I don't use rotor control.
When I tried making two QSOs, I noticed that DXView does indeed show short and long path headings to the remote station.
But the column in DXKeeper for ANT_AZ is not populating.

Is there some additional setting that needs to be made?

+ All of the required settings are described in

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSODistance>

+ If a careful review of this article doesn't get you going, please do the following:

1. on the General tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window, check the "Log debugging info" box

2. terminate DXKeeper

3. start DXKeeper

4. temporarily disable any automatic uploading of QSOs to Club Log, eQSL.cc, and LoTW

5. log a test QSO with AA6YQ with its grid square populated

6. on the General tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window, uncheck the "Log debugging info" box

7. re-enable the automatic uploading of QSOs to Club Log, eQSL.cc, and LoTW that you disabled in step 4

8. attach the errorlog.txt file from your DXKeeper folder to an email message, and send the message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

Dave, AA6YQ

Neal Pollack

I also tried the option on this page:
called "Updating Already Logged QSOs", and that updates some of them in the Bearing column
but others remain blank.   When I click a line in the log display that has no bearing, the DXView
window DOES show the bearing/heading for both long and short path.

So I have two point of confusion:

A.  Why does DXKeeper not populate the bearing (ANT_AZ) field when logging a QSO?

B.  Why does the manual update method only update some QSO records in the log display,
      when DXView does indeed have the heading(s) for that QSO record?

Cheers,

Neal Pollack,  N6YFM

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

I also tried the option on this page:
called "Updating Already Logged QSOs", and that updates some of them in the Bearing column
but others remain blank. When I click a line in the log display that has no bearing, the DXView
window DOES show the bearing/heading for both long and short path.

So I have two point of confusion:

A. Why does DXKeeper not populate the bearing (ANT_AZ) field when logging a QSO?

+ Three possibilities:

1. your location cannot be determined

2. the location of the worked station is not specified in the QSO

3. the antenna path (short or long) is not specified in the QSO

B. Why does the manual update method only update some QSO records in the log display,
when DXView does indeed have the heading(s) for that QSO record?

+ If you're referring to the use of the "Modify QSOs" function, it too requires the three items of information specified above to be present in a QSO in order to compute its azimuth.

+ Do you have one or more "myQTHs" specified on the Main window's "my QTHs" tab?

Dave, AA6YQ

Neal Pollack

Hi Dave:

I do have exactly one "MyQTH" filled in, on the my QTHs tab.   It has my LAT, LONG, GRID, etc.

I added the column for ANT_PATH to my log display, and made sure all of those were showing "S".
Once I did that, I could manually update so that every QSO in my log shows a bearing now.

However, I just did a new QSO, and it does not populate ANT_AZ (bearing).
For this new QSO, I confirmed the following:

1.   The new QSO, according to the award sub-display on the log page, does have a GRID1.  
       So we know his location.

2.   The new QSO has an "S" in the PATH column, so we know that is in the QSO.

3.    ??   We have my info in my one "my QTH" tab entry, with grid and LAT and LONG.
        We also have my LAT, LONG, and Short Path settings in the CONFIG, DEFAULTS tab.

What next?

Cheers,

Neal
N6YFM

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

I do have exactly one "MyQTH" filled in, on the my QTHs tab.   It has my LAT, LONG, GRID, etc.

I added the column for ANT_PATH to my log display, and made sure all of those were showing "S".
Once I did that, I could manually update so that every QSO in my log shows a bearing now.

However, I just did a new QSO, and it does not populate ANT_AZ (bearing).
For this new QSO, I confirmed the following:

1.   The new QSO, according to the award sub-display on the log page, does have a GRID1.  
       So we know his location.

2.   The new QSO has an "S" in the PATH column, so we know that is in the QSO.

3.    ??   We have my info in my one "my QTH" tab entry, with grid and LAT and LONG.
        We also have my LAT, LONG, and Short Path settings in the CONFIG, DEFAULTS tab

+ Does this new QSO specify a "myQTH ID"?

Dave, AA6YQ

Neal Pollack

Hi Dave:

Another thought;   I assume if I want to save debug info for one or two real QSO's, that it would be
OK to perform your steps below, but;

Step 4.   IGNORE
Step 5.   Make a couple of real QSO's using WSJT-X

Then study the errorlog.txt  text file?

Neal

On Sun, Apr 18, 2021 at 06:19 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

+ All of the required settings are described in

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/QSODistance>

+ If a careful review of this article doesn't get you going, please do the following:

1. on the General tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window, check the "Log debugging info" box

2. terminate DXKeeper

3. start DXKeeper

4. temporarily disable any automatic uploading of QSOs to Club Log, eQSL.cc, and LoTW

5. log a test QSO with AA6YQ with its grid square populated

6. on the General tab of DXKeeper's Configuration window, uncheck the "Log debugging info" box

7. re-enable the automatic uploading of QSOs to Club Log, eQSL.cc, and LoTW that you disabled in step 4

8. attach the errorlog.txt file from your DXKeeper folder to an email message, and send the message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below
Another thought;   I assume if I want to save debug info for one or two real QSO's, that it would be
OK to perform your steps below, but;

Step 4.   IGNORE
Step 5.   Make a couple of real QSO's using WSJT-X

Then study the errorlog.txt  text file?

+ Does the new QSO you described in your previous message specify a "myQTH ID"?

de AA6YQ

Neal Pollack

Hi:

Yes, all the log QSO's, including the recent new test QSOs, include my one myQTHID.
I added that column to the log display, and they are all populated with QTHID.

Neal

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments below

Yes, all the log QSO's, including the recent new test QSOs, include my one myQTHID.
I added that column to the log display, and they are all populated with QTHID.

+ OK. Please follow the instructions in my previous post

https://groups.io/g/DXLab/message/200927

+ after the phrase "If after a careful review of this article doesn't get you going..."

Dave, AA6YQ