DXKeeper Gateway v 1.2.1

Hunter Mills - K3IE

Having intermittent problems with the Gateway.  It will work for awhile and then lock-up.

As suggested by similar posts on this forum, I have rebooted my Windows computer and the Gateway will work but eventually "freeze up" again.

During IARU - the Gateway was working until the end of the contest when it "locked up" with the spinning mouse wheel.  CPU and Memory Usage are both about 60%.

Would appreciate any suggestions - I use N1MM+ as my everyday logging interface in addition to the contests.  The Gateway prevents me from forgetting to create .ADI files to transfer into DXKeeper.

Thank you - Hunter K3IE

Having intermittent problems with the Gateway.  It will work for awhile and then lock-up.

As suggested by similar posts on this forum, I have rebooted my Windows computer and the Gateway will work but eventually "freeze up" again.

During IARU - the Gateway was working until the end of the contest when it "locked up" with the spinning mouse wheel.  CPU and Memory Usage are both about 60%.

+ Those are both rather high. What tasks are the top 3 consumers of CPU time? What tasks are the top 3 consumers of memory?

Would appreciate any suggestions - I use N1MM+ as my everyday logging interface in addition to the contests.  The Gateway prevents me from forgetting to create .ADI files to transfer into DXKeeper.

+ Please reboot Windows into "Safe mode with networking"; then start N1MM, DXKeeper, and the Gateway, and temporarily disable automatic uploading to eQSL/LoTW/ClubLog if you have any of those enabled. What happens when you log test QSOs in N1MM?

Hunter Mills - K3IE

Hi Dave.

SVCHST and Google Chrome are the top 2 CPU / Memory consumers,

I rebooted in Safe Mode w/ Networking and Gateway worked flawlessly - realtime logging of N1MM QSOs into DXKeeper.

I am running an i5-3470 @ 3.2 Ghz w/ 8GB RAM

I run a Flex 6600 via Maestro - not using SmartSDR on the desktop.  Perhaps I need more computer horsepower or just use only the necessary programs (N1MM+, DXK, DXKGateway when operating).

- Hunter.

SVCHST and Google Chrome are the top 2 CPU / Memory consumers,

I rebooted in Safe Mode w/ Networking and Gateway worked flawlessly - realtime logging of N1MM QSOs into DXKeeper.

+ That likely means that an application automatically started by Windows when booted "normally" is interfering with the interoperation. Misconfigured or incompetent anti-malware is the usual culprit, but there are others; see

http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ApplicationInteference

I am running an i5-3470 @ 3.2 Ghz w/ 8GB RAM

I run a Flex 6600 via Maestro - not using SmartSDR on the desktop. Perhaps I need more computer horsepower or just use only the necessary programs (N1MM+, DXK, DXKGateway when operating).

+ At least terminate Chrome when operating, or close all but one tab if you absolutely need web access.

Hunter Mills - K3IE

Tnx Dave for your comments - I will try that.

Much appreciated - Hunter.

g4wjs

On 14/07/2021 03:53, Hunter Mills - K3IE wrote:
Hi Dave.

SVCHST and Google Chrome are the top 2 CPU / Memory consumers,

I rebooted in Safe Mode w/ Networking and Gateway worked flawlessly - realtime logging of N1MM QSOs into DXKeeper.

I am running an i5-3470 @ 3.2 Ghz w/ 8GB RAM

I run a Flex 6600 via Maestro - not using SmartSDR on the desktop.  Perhaps I need more computer horsepower or just use only the necessary programs (N1MM+, DXK, DXKGateway when operating).

- Hunter.
Hi Hunter,

svcost.exe is a container process that runs one or more system services, there will be several instances of it running on your system, it may be that one of the system services is using excessive resources. You can see which services that instance of svchost.exe is running using the Windows Resource Monitor (started from the Performance tab of the Windows Task Manager). Go to the CPU tab of the Resource Monitor, sort the listed process by descending CPU usage (click the CPU column heading of the top Processes table). You should see the svchost.exe process that is using excessive resources near the top, check the checkbox at the left hand side (that may be tricky as the move around if other processes are active, it may take a couple of tries). once a single process it checked the resources it uses are highlighted. In the second table (Services) you will see the names of the set of services that particular instance of svchost.exe is hosting, the CPU usage in that table should make it obvious which service is the offender.

Once you have identified the problem service don't just disable that service, many Internet resources will tell you to do that but you are better to find out why it is using excessive resources and fix the root problem. Most system services do important tasks and use very few resources when they are working correctly.

Bill

G4WJS.