DxKeeper Enhancement Request - arrl section field automation

Scott

Great Software. Love it.

* I couldn't find a click here for enhancement requests... So if this isn't how to, let me know. So maybe we make one or make it more obvious?

Ok, for my enhancement request.
Background:
When I log a qso and do the call book lookup, I get the arrl section filled out automatically if the state is not divided into multiple sections. If it is divided (such as California or Texas), I have to look up the section by hand using http://www.arrl.org/section-boundaries which lists the counties. (I printed it out)  Luckily I have the county due to the lookup.

Request:
A "?" button for the arrl section so that it uses the county to get the correct arrl section. I don't think these change often, so maybe I could make a CSV file to search. Or it can be automatically determined by the county listed instead of a changeable field. I don't see a reason to have the arrl section and county reflect a different county/section match.

Thanks so much,
Scott
KD4SIR

KA9JAC

I am a bit curious...

Other then the contests where participants have to exchange their arrl section,
is there somewhere else where these are required?

73,
Bob, KA9JAC

On 11/25/2021 4:06 AM, Scott wrote:
[...]

AVG logo

www.avg.com

Dave AA6YQ

# AA6YQ comments below

I couldn't find a click here for enhancement requests... So if this isn't how to, let me know. So maybe we make one or make it more obvious?

+ This is the appropriate venue for suggesting enhancements. Implemented and not-yet-implemented enhancement requests are available in this table:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/download.htm#AvailableReleases

Ok, for my enhancement request.

Background:
When I log a qso and do the call book lookup, I get the arrl section filled out automatically if the state is not divided into multiple sections. If it is divided (such as California or Texas), I have to look up the section by hand using http://www.arrl.org/section-boundaries which lists the counties. (I printed it out) Luckily I have the county due to the lookup.

Request:
A "?" button for the arrl section so that it uses the county to get the correct arrl section. I don't think these change often, so maybe I could make a CSV file to search. Or it can be automatically determined by the county listed instead of a changeable field. I don't see a reason to have the arrl section and county reflect a different county/section match.

+ If you send me a comma delimited file in the following format, I will add a table to the USAP database so that DXKeeper can determine the ARRL section from the State and County:

2-letter state abbreviation, valid county name, ARRL section abbreviation

+ For example:

CA,Santa Clara,SCV
MA,Middlesex,EMA
PA,Adams,EPA
PA,Berks,EPA
PA,Bradford,EPA
PA,Lancaster,EPA

+ By "valid county name", I mean the county name specified for the CQ USA-CA (worked all US counties) award. You can see a list of valid county names for a state by using DXKeeper's Capture window: set the DXCC prefix selector to K, and then set the State selector to the state of interest; a list of valid county names for that state will appear in the County selector.

+ The file should have entries for each county in each of these 8 states: CA, FL, MA, NJ, NY, PA, TX, and WA

+ Please attach the file to an email message, and send the message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

+ Note: I won't get to this until after I publicly release the new versions of DXKeeper, DXView, DXLab Launcher, Spotcollector, and WinWarbler that provide improved support for pursuing RDA awards - so pace yourself!

+ Thanks!

Thanks so much,
Scott
KD4SIR

I am a bit curious...

Other then the contests where participants have to exchange their arrl section, is there somewhere else where these are required?

+ I don't know, but I'm generally receptive to suggestions that would provide additional information about one's QSO partner.

Scott

I think the debate on the need for the field is another topic. Someone put the field in the database for a reason I assume. My thought is if it's there and automatically filled for the other 42 states then why not the last 8? The database should be able to do this easily once it has something to query. Mainly, I fill it in because it catches my eye that it's empty. Thought it would be a nice small upgrade.

I sent the CSV file to the email as instructed.

Thanks!
Scott

I think the debate on the need for the field is another topic. Someone put the field in the database for a reason I assume.

+ There is no debate over the need for the ARRL section field. It exists because ARRL section is a component of the exchange in some contests, and is included in the ADIF files generated by some contest applications. Many contests use DXKeeper as the repository for their QSOs, and so expect it to retain all imported data.

+ That said, it's entirely reasonable to ask about the utility of an existing field; all questions are welcome here. Besides satisfying curiosity, questions posed here over the years have led to improvements in documentation and the applications.

My thought is if it's there and automatically filled for the other 42 states then why not the last 8? The database should be able to do this easily once it has something to query. Mainly, I fill it in because it catches my eye that it's empty. Thought it would be a nice small upgrade.

I sent the CSV file to the email as instructed.

+ Thanks! As previously stated, I won't get this until after the new RDA support is publicly released.