DXKeeper 16.1.0 Upgrade

Robie - AJ4F

All,

I've seen several posts recently regarding issues with upgrading to 16.1.0 and wonder if it is wise to upgrade at this time?

Robie - AJ4F

David Bunte

Robie -

I have seen those posts as well. But none of the locals who use DXLab have reported problems. I would suggest you make sure you have everything backed up and go ahead and do the update. If you have a problem I am sure you get a quick response if you post it here... and you can always reload the version you are currently running.

GL de Dave - K9FN

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 7:56 AM Robie - AJ4F <ruler55@...> wrote:
All,

I've seen several posts recently regarding issues with upgrading to 16.1.0 and wonder if it is wise to upgrade at this time?

Robie - AJ4F

Robie - AJ4F

Dave,

Thanks for the feedback.  I am considering what you recommend.  I’ll report results later today.

Robie - AJ4F

On Apr 26, 2021, at 07:03, David Bunte <dpbunte@...> wrote:

Robie -

I have seen those posts as well. But none of the locals who use DXLab have reported problems. I would suggest you make sure you have everything backed up and go ahead and do the update. If you have a problem I am sure you get a quick response if you post it here... and you can always reload the version you are currently running.

GL de Dave - K9FN

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 7:56 AM Robie - AJ4F <ruler55@...> wrote:
All,

I've seen several posts recently regarding issues with upgrading to 16.1.0 and wonder if it is wise to upgrade at this time?

Robie - AJ4F

Robie - AJ4F

DXKeeper upgrade to 16.1.0 was successful, no issues detected!

Robie - AJ4F

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 7:29 AM Robie - AJ4F via groups.io <ruler55=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Norm - KC1BMD

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 08:53 AM, Robie - AJ4F wrote:
DXKeeper upgrade to 16.1.0 was successful, no issues detected!

Robie - AJ4F
Same here, although my log is relatively small (~1900 entries) and I don't use all the features.

--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

Mike Rhodes / W8DN

Just follow the VERY SPECIFIC instructions and all should be good.

Mike / W8DN

On 4/26/2021 9:54 AM, Norm - KC1BMD wrote:
On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 08:53 AM, Robie - AJ4F wrote:
DXKeeper upgrade to 16.1.0 was successful, no issues detected!

Robie - AJ4F
Same here, although my log is relatively small (~1900 entries) and I don't use all the features.

--
73, Norm/KC1BMD

I've seen several posts recently regarding issues with upgrading to 16.1.0 and wonder if it is wise to upgrade at this time?

+ So far, I've received a half-dozen or so logs that failed to upgrade (increase the capacity of the MODE item from 8 to 12). DXKeeper upgraded each of them successfully on my computer system. I have added diagnostics to the next version of DXKeeper so that if future log upgrades fail, I'll gain a better understanding of why. Perhaps DXKeeper can then be extended to automatically recover from some of these failures.

+ For now, there's no reason to not upgrade to DXKeeper 16.1.0. If you encounter a log upgrade failure, place your log file in a zip archive, attach the zip archive to an email message, and send the email message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

ken morey

Ok I will try again.

Thank you for your great application.

73,

Ken-K0EZW

+ AA6YQ comments below

On Monday, April 26, 2021, 12:05:53 PM MDT, ken morey via groups.io <kenincolo@...> wrote:

[...]

Victor Culver

Robbie, et. al., I did the update (as I suspect many others have) and except for a very short delay everything came back in regular working condition after the upgrade sequence.

 Somehow I missed the upgrade notes Dave ‘always’ provides when an update changes the structure of the log ... or anything else.

Good luck to any who might have difficulty in achieving this update.

73, Vic W4VIC

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

73, Vic, W4VIC

Dave AA6YQ

Several of the ops who sent me logs that DXKeeper 16.1.0 failed to "expand" also included an errorlog.txt file that contained and entry like this one:

2021-04-26 00:39:45.654 > program error 3035 in module DXLogModule.UpdateFields: System resource exceeded.

In Windows, a "system resource" is typically a data structure, like a table or a tree. When manipulating objects in a data structure or removing objects from a data structure, subtle defects can prevent the complete reclamation of now-unused elements within the data structure; this is referred to as a "resource leak". Eventually, so many elements are "lost" that the data structure can no longer accept additions, prompting the "System resource exceeded" message. While Windows has fewer of these defects than it did in the past, it is still necessary to periodically reboot Windows in order to reclaim all of the lost data structure elements. Rebooting Windows at least weekly is recommended.

If you have a large log (say greater than 50K QSOs), rebooting Windows immediately before you upgrade to Window 16.1.0 might improve your chances of having DXKeeper perform the log expansion without encountering a "System resource exceeded" error from Windows. But if that happens, don't panic - just place your log file in a zip archive, attach the zip archive to an email message, and send the message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

Robie - AJ4F

Dave,

Thanks for the feedback.  For your information my log contains 70,000+ QSO and I made the necessary backups prior to upgrading to 16.1.0 and had no issues.  I had rebooted my computer yesterday.

Robie - AJ4F

On Mon, Apr 26, 2021 at 2:00 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

[...]

+ A corollary to Murphy's Law state's that making a backup greatly reduces the probability that it will be needed.

        73,

              Dave. AA6YQ

n7bv@...

Is this the same as to what you all are talking about??

=============
73, Chuck N7BV

Is this the same as to what you all are talking about??
+ To what does the word "this" refer?

     73,

             Dave. AA6YQ

Salvatore Besso

hello,

I jump into this thread because yesterday I updated to DXKeeper 16.1.0. All went well and all is working as it should, but I didn't receive any notification about the log being modified (expanded?). Is it normal?

73 de
Salvatore (I4FYV)

I jump into this thread because yesterday I updated to DXKeeper 16.1.0. All went well and all is working as it should, but I didn't receive any notification about the log being modified (expanded?). Is it normal?

+ DXKeeper displays a small notification window when it's expanding the Mode item, and when its compacting your log after the item expansion is complete.

+ Perhaps Windows was so busy that by the time it got around to displaying these windows, the operations were complete.

w6de

Or, in my case my smaller logbook of  ~11k contacts and my computer is fast enough that the pop-up window was only a blink on the screen.

73,

Dave, w6de

I jump into this thread because yesterday I updated to DXKeeper 16.1.0. All went well and all is working as it should, but I didn't receive any notification about the log being modified (expanded?). Is it normal?

+ DXKeeper displays a small notification window when it's expanding the Mode item, and when its compacting your log after the item expansion is complete.

+ Perhaps Windows was so busy that by the time it got around to displaying these windows, the operations were complete.

n7bv@...

Sri, looks like the dog ate my this~~pasted in a DXkeeper error msg about not being able to log a QSO.   The past seems to have gotten dropped.  Got three errors in a row so thought it my be related.

Today things seem to be working fine?!
Tks.   73, Chuck N7BV

Sri, looks like the dog ate my this~~pasted in a DXkeeper error msg about not being able to log a QSO.   The past seems to have gotten dropped.  Got three errors in a row so thought it my be related.

Today things seem to be working fine?!

+ Thanks. Attachments are not conveyed here, as they would "count" against our space allocation.

+ Please send the error messages to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com