DXK not opening

Alan Swinger

Tried to open DX Keeper as always from the Launcher and got the following msg: Unable to launch DXK . . . the exe does not exist.
Checked CONFIG and it shows "Not Installed".
all other Apps show as installed and they open as normal.
This all worked last night and earlier today, but NO GO now. I have re-booted the computer several times to no avail.
What do you suggest? - Alan K9MBQ

Tried to open DX Keeper as always from the Launcher and got the following msg: Unable to launch DXK . . . the exe does not exist.
Checked CONFIG and it shows "Not Installed".
all other Apps show as installed and they open as normal.
This all worked last night and earlier today, but NO GO now. I have re-booted the computer several times to no avail.
What do you suggest? -

+ If I understand correctly, that means DXKeeper was both uninstalled and then deleted; this is a serious fault. I suggest that you inspect the Window event logs for clues to what happened.

+ Is your log file still present?

Alan Swinger

Dave - Log file is still present and system is all OK on my backup computer where it is showing 16.1.0 DXK available - have not upgraded on that machine yet.

Don't know how to look at Win event logs. DXK Config shows no App installed, but 16.1.0 Available for install. However, in the DXLab/DXK file on the C Drive, App 16.1.0 is shown and opens normally. I closed it and tried 16.0.7 (also shown) and it does not open.
So, it appears that the latest DXK App is on the C Drive but not working with Launcher.
Help appreciated. - Alan K9MBQ

On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 8:51 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
Tried to open DX Keeper as always from the Launcher and got the following msg: Unable to launch DXK . . . the exe does not exist.
Checked CONFIG and it shows "Not Installed".
all other Apps show as installed and they open as normal.
This all worked last night and earlier today, but NO GO now. I have re-booted the computer several times to no avail.
What do you suggest? -

+ If I understand correctly, that means DXKeeper was both uninstalled and then deleted; this is a serious fault. I suggest that you inspect the Window event logs for clues to what happened.

+ Is your log file still present?

Alan Swinger

After seeing the exchange with VO1HP, went back to the DXLab/Keeper files on my C Drive. Again, 1610 opens there OK. But like VO1HP, opening version 1607 got me the "attempting to define mode having name more than 8 characters:#####". When I clicked OK multiple times, 1607 opened and had the correct log data.  However, no DXK version is linked to the Launcher as previously described. - Alan K9MBQ

On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 5:52 AM Alan Swinger <alan.swinger@...> wrote:
[...]

+ Your first report stated that

"Tried to open DX Keeper as always from the Launcher and got the following msg: Unable to launch DXK . . . the exe does not exist.
Checked CONFIG and it shows "Not Installed". "

+ If by "Checked CONFIG" you mean the Launcher's Configuration window, that means the Windows Registry settings that the Launcher consults to determine if a DXLab application is "installed" indicated that it is "not installed". The error message you report indicates that the DXKeeper.exe file does not exist in the location specified on the Launcher's Configuration window.

+ Now you report "However, in the DXLab/DXK file on the C Drive, App 16.1.0 is shown and opens normally." Exactly where on the C drive is the DXKeeper 16.1.0 executable that "opens normally"? What "program path" is specified for DXKeeper on the Launcher's Configuration window?

+ Instructions for checking Windows Event Logs are here:

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/CheckingWindowsEventLogs

Al Groff

Installing 16.1.0 also installed a new modes database file which then gives this error when running a previous version of DKX.
AL, K0VM

On 5/1/2021 10:21 AM, Alan Swinger wrote:
[...]

Dave -The path to App 16.1.0 is C://DXLab/DXKeeper/ where the apps are shown. When I double click app 1601, it oens.
The CONFIG is checked was indeed that of the Launcher

On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 12:01 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below
[...]

+ When loading the DefaultModes.txt file included with DXKeeper 16.1.0, a version of DXKeeper prior to DXKeeper 16.1.0 will object to each Mode whose length is longer than 8 characters, and then run correctly.

Dave -The path to App 16.1.0 is C://DXLab/DXKeeper/ where the apps are shown. When I double click app 1601, it oens.
The CONFIG is checked was indeed that of the Launcher

+ What "Program Path" is specified for DXKeeper on the Launcher's Configuration window"

Alan Swinger

The Launcherconfig Program Path is

C:\DXLab\DXKeeper\DXKeeper.exe

Alan

> Dave -The path to App 16.1.0 is C://DXLab/DXKeeper/ where the apps are

> shown. When I double click app 1601, it oens.

> The CONFIG is checked was indeed that of the Launcher

+ What "Program Path" is specified for DXKeeper on the Launcher's Configuration window"

The Launcherconfig Program Path is

C:\DXLab\DXKeeper\DXKeeper.exe

+ Thanks. You've said that when you direct the launcher to start DXKeeper, it reports that DXKeeper.exe does not exist. But when you visit

C:\DXLab\DXKeeper

with Windows Explorer, an entry for DXKeeper.exe is present, and starts DXKeeper 16.1.0 when double-clicked.

Do I understand correctly?

Alan Swinger

Yes. When I double click DXKeeper 1610 it opens and has the correct log data. There is no DXKeeper.exe shown; just 1610 and prior versions. - Alan

On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 2:02 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments below

The Launcherconfig Program Path is

C:\DXLab\DXKeeper\DXKeeper.exe

+ Thanks. You've said that when you direct the launcher to start DXKeeper, it reports that DXKeeper.exe does not exist. But when you visit

C:\DXLab\DXKeeper

with Windows Explorer, an entry for DXKeeper.exe is present, and starts DXKeeper 16.1.0 when double-clicked.

Do I understand correctly?

Joe Subich, W4TV

There is no DXKeeper.exe shown; just 1610 and prior versions.
This is a typical behavior when your ANTI VIRUS has deleted or
quarantined a DXLab Suite application.

1) Open the configuration for your anti-virus application and
adjust its configuration to consider each DXLab Suite application
to be "safe".
2) Open the configuration for your anti-virus application and
adjust its configuration to prevent scanning of the DXLab
"tree" (default C:\DXLab Suite).
3) Navigate to the directory for DXKeeper and copy DXKeeper1610.exe
to DXKeeper.exe
4) RESTART Windows

Is DXKeeper now shown as installed in Launcher?

Does DXKeeper now start from Launcher?

On 2021-05-01 2:28 PM, Alan Swinger wrote:
Yes. When I double click DXKeeper 1610 it opens and has the correct log
data. There is no DXKeeper.exe shown; just 1610 and prior versions. - Alan
On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 2:02 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@ambersoft.com> wrote:

+ AA6YQ comments below

The Launcherconfig Program Path is

C:\DXLab\DXKeeper\DXKeeper.exe

+ Thanks. You've said that when you direct the launcher to start DXKeeper,
it reports that DXKeeper.exe does not exist. But when you visit

C:\DXLab\DXKeeper

with Windows Explorer, an entry for DXKeeper.exe is present, and starts
DXKeeper 16.1.0 when double-clicked.

Do I understand correctly?

Alan Swinger

Joe - I am using McAfee and all DXLab apps are set to open, and all do and have. I did set it to not scan the DXLab tree (best I can determine).
I am in the DXKeeper file, but there is no DXKeeper.exe and the app DXKeeper 1610 (attached is a screen shot). So, I don't know how to copy DXKeeper1610.exe to DXKeeper.exe
What am I missing? - alan K9MBQ

On 2021-05-01 2:28 PM, Alan Swinger wrote:
> Yes. When I double click DXKeeper 1610 it opens and has the correct log
> data. There is no DXKeeper.exe shown; just 1610 and prior versions. - Alan
>
> On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 2:02 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
>
>> + AA6YQ comments below
>>
>> The Launcherconfig Program Path is
>>
>> C:\DXLab\DXKeeper\DXKeeper.exe
>>
>> + Thanks. You've said that when you direct the launcher to start DXKeeper,
>> it reports that DXKeeper.exe does not exist. But when you visit
>>
>> C:\DXLab\DXKeeper
>>
>> with Windows Explorer, an entry for DXKeeper.exe is present, and starts
>> DXKeeper 16.1.0 when double-clicked.
>>
>> Do I understand correctly?
>>

>>         73,
>>
>>                Dave, AA6YQ

Dave AA6YQ

+ AA6YQ comments belo-w
Joe - I am using McAfee and all DXLab apps are set to open, and all do and have. I did set it to not scan the DXLab tree (best I can determine).
I am in the DXKeeper file, but there is no DXKeeper.exe and the app DXKeeper 1610 (attached is a screen shot). So, I don't know how to copy DXKeeper1610.exe to DXKeeper.exe
What am I missing?

+ If your DXKeeper.exe file disappeared from your

C:\DXLab\DXKeeper

+ folder, then it's your responsibility to determine why that happened, and make the necessary adjustments to prevent it from happening again. No DXLab application has the ability to delete itself or delete any other DXLab application. Joe W4TV's suspicion that an improperly configured or defective anti-malware application removed the file is certainly a possibility.

+ As Joe suggested, you can make a copy of

DXKeeper1610.exe

+ and rename that copy

DXKeeper.exe

+ Then the Launcher should be able to start DXKeeper. But if you don't find and correct the root cause of the file DXKeeper.exe going missing, it will continue to occur.

w6de

Setting your Virus protection is good for only for that exact executable.  The virus protection does not forever protect that named file.  The virus checker does an examination of the executable binary-check-code and if it is different from the executable that was marked safe all bets are off.  It might be good sometimes but it is not forever safe.  If the virus didn’t check each new executable for changes, then a Trojan horse could be slipped in under the “good” name and infect your system.

Joe’s advice to mark a file structure safe is good advice.  But, I found that that didn’t always work.  Possibly because I periodically clean-up my DXLab file systems.  Whatever the reason, I have found this is not an absolute protection from virus snatching.  I gave up several years ago on 3rd party virus protection.

I assume that Dave, AA6YQ, now pays for Microsoft to check all his DXlab executable releases in order to save his user community the grief you just went through.  If you are using the provided Microsoft Windows Security and you allow daily Windows Security updates.  You will escape Virus snatching of your DXLabs updates.  Asking Dave to put all  his releases through other virus checkers is an unreasonable request.

If you choose to use a different Virus protection then you should have your chosen virus checker updated to have each new DXLab executable release marked safe.  Dave repeats this notice in each and every DXLab release.

73,

Dave, w6de

On 2021-05-01 2:28 PM, Alan Swinger wrote:
> Yes. When I double click DXKeeper 1610 it opens and has the correct log
> data. There is no DXKeeper.exe shown; just 1610 and prior versions. - Alan
>
> On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 2:02 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
>
>> + AA6YQ comments below
>>
>> The Launcherconfig Program Path is
>>
>> C:\DXLab\DXKeeper\DXKeeper.exe
>>
>> + Thanks. You've said that when you direct the launcher to start DXKeeper,
>> it reports that DXKeeper.exe does not exist. But when you visit
>>
>> C:\DXLab\DXKeeper
>>
>> with Windows Explorer, an entry for DXKeeper.exe is present, and starts
>> DXKeeper 16.1.0 when double-clicked.
>>
>> Do I understand correctly?
>>

>>         73,
>>
>>                Dave, AA6YQ

Setting your Virus protection is good for only for that exact executable.  The virus protection does not forever protect that named file.  The virus checker does an examination of the executable binary-check-code and if it is different from the executable that was marked safe all bets are off.  It might be good sometimes but it is not forever safe.  If the virus didn’t check each new executable for changes, then a Trojan horse could be slipped in under the “good” name and infect your system.

Joe’s advice to mark a file structure safe is good advice.  But, I found that that didn’t always work.  Possibly because I periodically clean-up my DXLab file systems.  Whatever the reason, I have found this is not an absolute protection from virus snatching.  I gave up several years ago on 3rd party virus protection.

I assume that Dave, AA6YQ, now pays for Microsoft to check all his DXlab executable releases in order to save his user community the grief you just went through.

+ Microsoft does not charge for inspecting executable files and updating its Windows Defender virus definitions to correct false positives. They are actually quite responsive, typically completing an assessment within 12 hours no matter when I submit the file.

If you are using the provided Microsoft Windows Security and you allow daily Windows Security updates.  You will escape Virus snatching of your DXLabs updates.  Asking Dave to put all  his releases through other virus checkers is an unreasonable request.

+ Before making a release, I submit its executable to the 15 virus checkers accessible via

https://virusscan.jotti.org/

+ and the ~70 typically accessible via

https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload

+ The results of these scans are included in each release note.

If you choose to use a different Virus protection then you should have your chosen virus checker updated to have each new DXLab executable release marked safe.  Dave repeats this notice in each and every DXLab release

+ Thanks, Dave!

       73, Dave, AA6YQ

Jon Gefaell

Edited

I absolutely agree. I've never run 3rd party virus protection, and I've been running Windows since version 1.01 in '85. I've also never had a malware issue. 🤷‍♂️ Now that Windows 10 has built-in protection, I allow that because it seems to not ever get in the way. IMHO, YMMV, Etc... ;)

I am commenting however to recommend periodically running the "Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool" and the "Microsoft Safety Scanner". Both can be found by searching your favorite search engine for them. Only download directly from Microsoft. The downloaded executable is good for 10 days then expires. I  scan once a month for peace of mind.

 On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 04:07 PM, w6de wrote:

I gave up several years ago on 3rd party virus protection.

Alan Swinger

Well, I have no idea why the DXKeeper is missing nor do I know how to find out.

That said, is the process simply to "Copy" the app DXKeeper 1610 file in DXLab, DXKeeper file, rename and Paste back into the same  DXLab, DXKeeper file on the c drive?

Is it not also possible to rename the Launcher Config Path name to C:\DXLab\DXKeeper\DXKeeper1610.exe and then update the name for subsequent updates?

Thanks - Alan K9MBQ

On Sat, May 1, 2021 at 6:07 PM Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:
+ AA6YQ comments belo-w
[...]

* AA6YQ comments below

Well, I have no idea why the DXKeeper is missing nor do I know how to find out.

* DXLab applications cannot reliably run on a computer whose files randomly disappear. I suggest that you engage with your anti-malware provider's support organization.

That said, is the process simply to "Copy" the app DXKeeper 1610 file in DXLab, DXKeeper file, rename and Paste back into the same DXLab, DXKeeper file on the c drive?

* No, the process is exactly as described below: in your c:\DXLab\DXKeeper folder, make a copy of the file DXKeeper1610.exe and rename that copy DXKeeper.exe

Is it not also possible to rename the Launcher Config Path name to C:\DXLab\DXKeeper\DXKeeper1610.exe and then update the name for subsequent updates?

* The whole point of providing a DXKeeper.exe that always contains the current version of DXKeeper is to eliminate the need to do that. And if, as I suspect, it's your anti-malware application that made your DXKeeper.exe file disappear, it would likely do the same with DXKeeper1610.exe when the Launcher tries to run it.

73,

Dave. AA6YQ