DXCC data base

Julio Peralta

I thought I read some posts that lead me to believe if I went to the DXCC button on DXview I could change the entry for Swaziland to Eswatini. I tried that today and local spots generated by me are still coming up as Swaziland. I did recomputes for DXK and Spot Collector neither made any difference. Is there something else I should have done?

Julio, W4HY

I thought I read some posts that lead me to believe if I went to the DXCC button on DXview I could change the entry for Swaziland to
Eswatini. I tried that today and local spots generated by me are still coming up as Swaziland. I did recomputes for DXK and Spot
Collector neither made any difference. Is there something else I should have done?

+ Whether you're accepting a new DXCC database from Joe W4TV or modifying your copy, you must terminate and restart DXKeeper and
SpotCollector.

w6de

See previous message on this topic:

https://groups.io/g/DXLab/message/203527

73,

Dave,

W6de

On 2021-10-06 4:12 PM, Julio Peralta via groups.io wrote:
I thought I read some posts that lead me to
believe if I went to the DXCC button on DXview I
could change the entry for Swaziland to Eswatini.
I tried that today and local spots generated by me
are still coming up as Swaziland. I did recomputes
for DXK and Spot Collector neither made any
difference. Is there something else I should have
done?
Julio, W4HY

Note: editing the DXCC Database will not change what is announced by "Joe DX". Until a new 3DA0.wav file is made available, SpotCollector will still announce "Swaziland."

+ Any user can record a new 3DA0.wav file that announces "Eswatini". Or I can record such a file and make it available.

Julio Peralta

I just did what you suggested and SC still is
showing Swaziland.

Julio

I thought I read some posts that lead me to
believe if I went to the DXCC button on DXview I
could change the entry for Swaziland to
Eswatini. I tried that today and local spots
generated by me are still coming up as Swaziland.
I did recomputes for DXK and Spot
Collector neither made any difference. Is there
something else I should have done?

+ Whether you're accepting a new DXCC database
from Joe W4TV or modifying your copy, you must
terminate and restart DXKeeper and
SpotCollector.

I just did what you suggested and SC still is
showing Swaziland.
+ So that I can see what's going on, please place the DXCC database you modified in a zip archive, attach the archive to an email message, and send the message to me via

aa6yq (at) ambersoft.com

Salvatore Besso

I enter this thread saying that I've always operated in this way to change the name of an entity; moreover, one should then exit DXLab and manually copy the modified DXCC.mdb that resides in the Databases subfolder of DXView into the same Databases subfolder of both DXKeeper and SpotCollector.

I have just checked again my DXCC.mdb with DXView and it says eSwatini for 3DA (I have made the change some weeks ago). But the strange thing is that if I open DXCC.mdb with Access, it still says Swaziland! Is there something I've forgotten to modify?

73 de
Salvatore (I4FYV)

Julio Peralta

Joe this is not related to Joe DX. When I type in 3DAO into Outgoing spot and create a local spot it comes up as Swaziland both in SC and DXV.

Julio

On 2021-10-06 4:12 PM, Julio Peralta via groups.io wrote:
I thought I read some posts that lead me to
believe if I went to the DXCC button on DXview I
could change the entry for Swaziland to Eswatini.
I tried that today and local spots generated by me
are still coming up as Swaziland. I did recomputes
for DXK and Spot Collector neither made any
difference. Is there something else I should have
done?

Julio, W4HY

Julio Peralta

Dave the Joe DX message isn't the problem at this point. SC and DXV are not reporting the correct country in their dialog boxes.

Julio

Note: editing the DXCC Database will not change what is announced by "Joe DX". Until a new 3DA0.wav file is made available, SpotCollector will still announce "Swaziland."

+ Any user can record a new 3DA0.wav file that announces "Eswatini". Or I can record such a file and make it available.

Julio Peralta

I tried sending the file I think you wanted to see without compressing it as it didn’t seem to be that big. I also opened the file and can see that the 3DA entry was not changed to Eswatini.

Julio

On 2021-10-07 4:15 AM, Salvatore Besso wrote:
moreover, one should then exit DXLab and manually copy the modified
DXCC.mdb that resides in the Databases subfolder of DXView into the
same Databases subfolder of both DXKeeper and SpotCollector.
Copying a new/modified copy of DXCC.mdb to the DXKeeper and
SpotCollector directories is unnecessary. DXLab Suite is smart
enough to recognize that DXView has been installed and use the
copy of DXCC.mdb installed by DXView in all applications.

The "local" copy of DXCC.mdb (in the DXKeeper/SpotCollecor directories)
is only used if DXK/SC is the only application installed.

On 2021-10-07 4:15 AM, Salvatore Besso wrote:
I enter this thread saying that I've always operated in this way to change the name of an entity; moreover, one should then exit DXLab and manually copy the modified DXCC.mdb that resides in the Databases subfolder of DXView into the same Databases subfolder of both DXKeeper and SpotCollector.
I have just checked again my DXCC.mdb with DXView and it says eSwatini for 3DA (I have made the change some weeks ago). But the strange thing is that if I open DXCC.mdb with Access, it still says Swaziland! Is there something I've forgotten to modify?
73 de
Salvatore (I4FYV)

Joe Subich, W4TV

When I type in 3DAO into Outgoing spot and create a local spot it comes up as Swaziland both in SC and DXV.
Who cares? It shows 3DA0 and Country Code 468 ... the Country Code
is the only important identifier as that is what ARRL use. The prefix
and "entity name" are only for human consumption.

Swaziland -> Eswatini is no different than Yugoslavia -> Serbia,
British Guyana -> Guyana, Dutch Guyana -> Suriname, etc.

On 2021-10-06 4:12 PM, Julio Peralta via groups.io wrote:
I thought I read some posts that lead me to
believe if I went to the DXCC button on DXview I
could change the entry for Swaziland to Eswatini.
I tried that today and local spots generated by me
are still coming up as Swaziland. I did recomputes
for DXK and Spot Collector neither made any
difference. Is there something else I should have
done?

Julio, W4HY

Salvatore Besso

hello Joe,

ok, but sometimes it happens that I run only SpotCollector to see if there is something interesting on the bands, so I think that it's better to have the same database aligned everywhere.

What I don't know, as I wrote, is why the same database opened with Access still shows Swaziland...

73 de
Salvatore (I4FYV)

Joe Subich, W4TV

On 2021-10-07 9:17 AM, Salvatore Besso wrote:
ok, but sometimes it happens that I run only SpotCollector to see if
there is something interesting on the bands,
It does not matter. If DXView is installed - even if it is not running -
DXK/SC will recognize it and use the copy of DXCC.mdb in DXView.

What I don't know, as I wrote, is why the same database opened with
Access still shows Swaziland...
You probably did something incorrectly. There are five tables in
DXCC.mdb; the Entity Name and/or Location name appear in four of the
five. My working "master" shows "Kingdom of Eswatani" in all four
of those tables.

The bigger question is why care? DXCC.mdb shows 3DA0 and Country Code
468 ... the Country Code is the only important identifier as that is
what ARRL use. The prefix and "entity name" are only for human
consumption.

Swaziland -> Eswatini is no different than Yugoslavia -> Serbia,
British Guyana -> Guyana, Dutch Guyana -> Suriname, etc. Names change
over time but the "entity" either continues or is deleted. In this
(these) cases the entity has remained the same. To quote Shakespeare,
"A rose by any other name ..."

On 2021-10-07 9:17 AM, Salvatore Besso wrote:
hello Joe,
ok, but sometimes it happens that I run only SpotCollector to see if there is something interesting on the bands, so I think that it's better to have the same database aligned everywhere.
What I don't know, as I wrote, is why the same database opened with Access still shows Swaziland...
73 de
Salvatore (I4FYV)

Salvatore Besso

ok, I will check again.

73 de
Salvatore (I4FYV)

I enter this thread saying that I've always operated in this way to change the name of an entity; moreover, one should then exit DXLab and manually copy the modified DXCC.mdb that resides in the Databases subfolder of DXView into the same Databases subfolder of both DXKeeper and SpotCollector.

+ That's not necessary. If DXView is installed, SpotCollector and DXKeeper automatically use DXView's copy of the DXCC Database.

I have just checked again my DXCC.mdb with DXView and it says eSwatini for 3DA (I have made the change some weeks ago). But the strange thing is that if I open DXCC.mdb with Access, it still says Swaziland! Is there something I've forgotten to modify?

+ In which of the DXCC Database tables did you find Swaziland?

Dave the Joe DX message isn't the problem at this point.

+ I was responding to Joe W4TV's post.

I tried sending the file I think you wanted to see without compressing it as it didn’t seem to be that big.

+ I asked you to put your DXCC database in zip archive and attach that because Microsoft considers .mdb attachments to be dangerous, and does not accept them in incoming email messages.

I also opened the file and can see that the 3DA entry was not changed to Eswatini.

+ Then you evidently didn't follow the instructions in

https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxview/Help/DXCC.htm#Viewing%20and%20Changing%20%20Entries%20in%20the%20DXCC%20Database

ok, but sometimes it happens that I run only SpotCollector to see if there is something interesting on the bands, so I think that it's better to have the same database aligned everywhere.

+ That's unnecessary, Salvatore. If DXView is installed, SpotCollector and DXKeeper automatically reference its copy of the DXCC Database -- whether DXView is running at the time or not.