Topics

DXCC Credit Analysis Actions

Pete Smith

Still trying to get the DXCC status in my log to match with DXCC info from ARRL.  Ran this routine and it worked great for recent QSOs, updating their QSL status to verified, but it left 525 DXCC credits in the status "no exact match found in log."  Each and every one of these is a QSO back in the 70s, 80s and 90s, and the reason why no match was found is that  there is no date in ARRL's record other than the year - for example, 1976-01-01.The instructions for this report say that it should not be used for old QSOs, but not why.  I guess this explains it.

Is there any other way I can update the QSL status for these QSOs in bulk? They are all shown by DCXX as "card", so there is no doubt (I think) that I deserve the DXCC credit.  I'd just like to avoid 525 separate operations.

--

73, Pete N4ZR
Check out the Reverse Beacon Network

Pete Smith

Still trying to get the DXCC status in my log to match with DXCC info from ARRL.  Ran this routine and it worked great for recent QSOs, updating their QSL status to verified, but it left 525 DXCC credits in the status "no exact match found in log."  Each and every one of these is a QSO back in the 70s, 80s and 90s, and the reason why no match was found is that  there is no date in ARRL's record other than the year - for example, 1976-01-01.The instructions for this report say that it should not be used for old QSOs, but not why.  I guess this explains it.

Is there any other way I can update the QSL status for these QSOs in bulk? They are all shown by DXCC as "card", so there is no doubt (I think) that I deserve the DXCC credit.  I'd just like to avoid 525 separate operations.

--

On Tue, May 28, 2019 at 12:00 PM, Pete Smith wrote:

Still trying to get the DXCC status in my log to match with DXCC info from ARRL.  Ran this routine and it worked great for recent QSOs, updating their QSL status to verified, but it left 525 DXCC credits in the status "no exact match found in log."  Each and every one of these is a QSO back in the 70s, 80s and 90s, and the reason why no match was found is that  there is no date in ARRL's record other than the year - for example, 1976-01-01.The instructions for this report say that it should not be used for old QSOs, but not why.  I guess this explains it.

Is there any other way I can update the QSL status for these QSOs in bulk? They are all shown by DXCC as "card", so there is no doubt (I think) that I deserve the DXCC credit.  I'd just like to avoid 525 separate operations.

+ There is no way to automatically link a QSO to a DXCC credit that doesn't exactly match. DXKeeper's DXCC Credit manager provides a facility that helps with the manual linking process:

<https://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/ManuallyLinkDXCCCredits>

BILL KENNAMER

I had no problem with mine entering QSOs back to 1961, but I entered the correct date and time.

When these cards were originally entered in DXCC records, they were entered into the system 38 with country code number only, no call sign.  Even given that, I have no discrepancies.

73

On Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 1:59 PM, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill, the problem is that ARRL apparently made the decision back when not to enter data from its pre-LOTW/pre-computer era records beyond the callsign, band, mode, and year of each QSO.  All of the credits in question derived from actual cards reviewed and accepted by ARRL, so I contend that a better approach would be for DXKeeper to look for QSOs with the station, mode and band in the *year*, and only balk if there is none, or more than one that fits.  That would take care of 99 percent of mine.

On 5/28/2019 3:33 PM, BILL KENNAMER wrote:

I had no problem with mine entering QSOs back to 1961, but I entered the correct date and time.

When these cards were originally entered in DXCC records, they were entered into the system 38 with country code number only, no call sign.  Even given that, I have no discrepancies.

73

Bill K5FUV

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

[...]

+ Based on my own experience, data entry personnel took shortcuts when recording DXCC credit information, e.g. entering the same data for all QSOs with a DXpedition. They also made entry errors, which is to be expected.

All of the credits in question derived from actual cards reviewed and accepted by ARRL, so I contend that a better approach would be for DXKeeper to look for QSOs with the station, mode and band in the *year*, and only balk if there is none, or more than one that fits. That would take care of 99 percent of mine.

+ Better for you, perhaps, but possibly worse for other users. DXKeeper will continue to only automatically link DXCC credits to QSOs when the match is exact.

+ Note that for DXCC submissions generated by DXKeeper, updating logged QSOs to reflect DXCC credit granted can be accomplished with a single mouse click.

at <http://reversebeacon.net> <http://reversebeacon.net> , now spotting RTTY activity worldwide.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad <https://overview.mail.yahoo.com/?.src=iOS>

On Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 1:59 PM, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> <mailto:n4zr@...> wrote:

[...]

I’d be surprised that ARRL did that much.  As I said, when we converted from paper to computer (I was in charge of that), we did not enter callsigns into the computer. We entered only the country code. All entries for mixed DXCC were mixed, no matter what mode may have been on the card. Phone credits came from phone DXCC records, etc.

There was no notation of mode, date, time, etc. at the time (1992). In fact, paper DXCC records were the original submission record that the applicant completed, and callsigns were added to the original paperwork, with new additions to the DXCC list handwritten at the bottom.

I had been logging with a computer since 1991, so was able to convert to ADIF. I then entered all QSOs before then from my handwritten longs since 1961. After doing this, I had nearly 40,000 QSOs, all of which have been entered into LOTW. The only discrepancies I ever find are those cases where I have received a card from someone who doesn’t use LOTW.  This usually is less than five QSOs, and is resolved when I make a paper submission.

I suggest you might correct a few dxkeeper entries, and resubmit to LOTW.

73

Bill

On Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 2:50 PM, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave AA6YQ

+ Here's an example of a DXCC credit awarded to a QSO I made I in 1991.

<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxkeeper/9Q5UN.jpg>

+ Note that it specifies

1. the callsign

2. the DXCC entity name, with its "country code" in parenthesis

3. the date

4. the mode

5. the band

+ In my experience - which began when I received my novice ticket in January 1990 - almost all DXCC credits provide the above information, though some of the information may be inaccurate due to shortcuts taken or data entry errors.

+ There was a time when submitting a QSL card for DXCC credit did not result in your receiving credit for the entity, entity-band, and entity-mode; only the credit you requested was granted. DXKeeper provides the ability to specify "entity credit only", "entity-band credit only", and "entity-mode credit only" if you have these situations; alternatively, you can resubmit the QSL card to the ARRL and receive DXCC credit for all "components".

[...]

Guys, the fact is that my DXCC record shows some countries with country codes only, as Bill says, but for most pre-1990 records, it shows call, date in years only, mode and band.  For example:

Worked Station
Worked   OE4HSB
DXCC   AUSTRIA (206)
Date   1976-01-01
Mode   CW (CW)
Band   20M
I have hundreds of these that should show as V in DXKeeper.  It is conceivable that I'm an unusual case,
because I was a beta tester for LOTW, so maybe ARRL handled my pre-1990 DXCC credits atypically.

On 5/28/2019 7:44 PM, Dave AA6YQ wrote:

[...]

I just wonder how many others are in the same boat.

[...]

+ That’s irrelevant, Pete; I won’t risk silently creating inaccurate credit-to-QSO linkages by automating the linkage of credits to QSOs in the absence of an exact match.

[...]

+ If and only if they exactly match a logged QSO.

 It is conceivable that I'm an unusual case,
because I was a beta tester for LOTW, so maybe ARRL handled my pre-1990 DXCC credits atypically.

+ DXCC Credits are stored in the ARRL’s DXCC system. Though LoTW can access data from the DXCC system, the two are independent.

BILL KENNAMER

No. All mixed and phone credits were upload from paper records with a date of 1945, when those DXCC awards started. CW records were entered with a date of 1976, when that award started. All records were entered country code only for credit. There is no possible way that DXCC would go back and re-enter callsigns. DXCC had no record of band prior to computerization.  In fact, for 5 band DXCC, cards were looked at, counted to 100 for each band, and, since the award was non endorse able, the awards were issued and the records were tossed since they were no longer needed.

My guess would be this isn't a DXLab problem.

73

On Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 8:50 PM, Pete Smith <n4zr@...> wrote:

Guys, the fact is that my DXCC record shows some countries with country codes only, as Bill says, but for most pre-1990 records, it shows call, date in years only, mode and band.  For example:

Worked Station
Worked OE4HSB
DXCC AUSTRIA (206)
Date 1976-01-01
[...]

My oldest QSO in the records reads:
080
Honduras (080)
1945-11-15
Unknown
Unknown

I have Mixed credit only for that contact, although I also have Honduras on all bands, and those are also in the LOTW records.

On Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 6:44 PM, Dave AA6YQ <aa6yq@...> wrote:

[...]

Joe Subich, W4TV

I can attest to the "Country Number Only" entries. I have 867 of
them: 299 Mixed, 274 CW, 294 Phone. I had to manually link every
one of them to the actual QSO/Card entry in my log.

Worse yet, since they were "number only", I had to dig out my old
record sheet (the DXCC list) and look up the call written on the
paper record before I could figure out with which QSO the credit
belonged. Pete, at least you have callsign and year to make the
linking much easier.

On 2019-05-28 10:26 PM, BILL KENNAMER wrote:
[...]

Oh I know they exist, Joe - I have a number of them myself.  Fortunately, my DXKeeper log goes back to 1971, so I'll be able to find most of them.  There may be a few issues, because that's also the year I got my first DXCC, meaning that the first hundred countries won't be in this log anyway.

This is all a little beside the point, anyhow - pre-1971 DXCC was done by manual checking and manual record-keeping, so there's no doubt - each of those DXCC codes represents a QSO and a QSL card deemed valid by ARRL.  When it comes to QSOs confirmed by card, ARRL's blessing is all that really matters now.